Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What to offer for Yu? WHIR

Postby angels7777 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:08 pm

disasterisk wrote:
angels7777 wrote:
disasterisk wrote:
I don't really care about buying high.

It's a simple rookie rule of thumb :-?

Take my advice on this one unless you play in a league of morons.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=457813

What I'm saying is that I don't think his perceived value is going to decline if he goes into a slump over a stretch of games. Barring injury his arrow is only pointing up, which is why you buy now.

I don't agree with this. If Darvish got lit up 3 games in a row and his owner was not well in the league, his price is going to become cheaper. If he continues to pitch well, then you're better off targeting someone else. Don't get hooked on one player. If you were high on him in the first place, you should have drafted him a round or 2 earlier.
5x5 H2H, Non-Keep 10 tms

C- MCann
1B- Santana
2B- Carp
3B- Wright
SS- Desmnd
OF- J. Uptn, Trout, Polanco
UTIL- Springr
BN- Heywrd, Wrth
SP- Hamels, Teheran, Liriano, Garza, Kluber, Fister, A. Sanchez, Gio, Latos, Cobb, Arieta
RP- Melancon, Smith, Hawkins
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 146)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby clarkw267 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:21 pm

angels7777 wrote:
disasterisk wrote:
angels7777 wrote:
It's a simple rookie rule of thumb :-?

Take my advice on this one unless you play in a league of morons.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=457813

What I'm saying is that I don't think his perceived value is going to decline if he goes into a slump over a stretch of games. Barring injury his arrow is only pointing up, which is why you buy now.

I don't agree with this. If Darvish got lit up 3 games in a row and his owner was not well in the league, his price is going to become cheaper. If he continues to pitch well, then you're better off targeting someone else. Don't get hooked on one player. If you were high on him in the first place, you should have drafted him a round or 2 earlier.

Exactly... you don't try and trade for Darvish now. It's just not smart team management.
clarkw267
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Postby disasterisk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:46 pm

mpieco wrote:If you want to do Craig + a pitcher, I would try Miller or Ogando. Miller would probably make the trade more possible. Be prepared to still have that rejected though.

what about Craig and Peavy?
disasterisk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mpieco » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:48 pm

I don't think Peavy carries enough value. As a keeper league, Miller of course is much more appealing. You can try if you want, but I think you need to offer something that has long-term value if you're going to get Darvish.
(In reference to an Aaron Hill for David Price swap)

twinkypoop wrote:
mpieco wrote: You're my new hero if that gets accepted.

Trade accepted! Thanks for the help!
mpieco
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby disasterisk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:51 pm

clarkw267 wrote:
angels7777 wrote:
disasterisk wrote:

Exactly... you don't try and trade for Darvish now. It's just not smart team management.

Sure it is. You are assuming that he will have a significant stretch where his actual long term value is diminshed. I'm saying that it is more likely he will stay the course or improve, which means his value will be increasing as the season moves along and therefore it is cheaper to go after him now.
disasterisk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AroundTheFur922 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:54 pm

Being a Darvish owner myself in a keeper league, someone would have to really blow my hair back to take him off my hands. Without knowing what the Darvish owner's roster looks like in your league and consequently not knowing his positional strengths and needs, coupled with the fact that you won't part with Trout or Harper, I'd want Craig, Tavares, AND Miller. It may seem steep but that would be my honest response. Like a previous poster stated, Darvish has seemingly figured "it" out in the good ol' USA and will likely only get better. They're very hyped but I have no idea what Tavares and Miller will bring to the table Craig would have to satisfy my immediate needs.
AroundTheFur922
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby clarkw267 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:03 pm

disasterisk wrote:
clarkw267 wrote:
angels7777 wrote:

Sure it is. You are assuming that he will have a significant stretch where his actual long term value is diminshed. I'm saying that it is more likely he will stay the course or improve, which means his value will be increasing as the season moves along and therefore it is cheaper to go after him now.

You're assuming that his value is going to be higher at some point than after a 14 K , near perfect game... that's not likely. And if it is, that means he's a top 3 SP, so what makes you think someone will part with him for a package that doesn't include a top 3 round talent?
clarkw267
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Postby disasterisk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:45 pm

clarkw267 wrote:
disasterisk wrote:
clarkw267 wrote:

You're assuming that his value is going to be higher at some point than after a 14 K , near perfect game... that's not likely. And if it is, that means he's a top 3 SP, so what makes you think someone will part with him for a package that doesn't include a top 3 round talent?

I am talking about long term value. And his last game was an outlier, not the baseline, it isn''t going to make him significantly more desirable than he already was. And yeah considering that he is only 26 his value certainly does have strong possibility of increasing.
disasterisk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby disasterisk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:47 pm

AroundTheFur922 wrote:Being a Darvish owner myself in a keeper league, someone would have to really blow my hair back to take him off my hands. Without knowing what the Darvish owner's roster looks like in your league and consequently not knowing his positional strengths and needs, coupled with the fact that you won't part with Trout or Harper, I'd want Craig, Tavares, AND Miller. It may seem steep but that would be my honest response. Like a previous poster stated, Darvish has seemingly figured "it" out in the good ol' USA and will likely only get better. They're very hyped but I have no idea what Tavares and Miller will bring to the table Craig would have to satisfy my immediate needs.

This is what I was looking for.

I would have no problem doing that deal.
disasterisk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions