4/3 Cheering, Venting and Marwin, Y U Mar Win for Yu? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

4/3 Cheering, Venting and Marwin, Y U Mar Win for Yu?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 4/3 Cheering, Venting and Marwin, Y U Mar Win for Yu?

Postby jfg » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:12 pm

Halladay's on pace for 27 K's but it'll take about 300 pitches to make it happen.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 99)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Izenhart » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:16 pm

Brandon Phillips batting cleanup with a 3 run bomb. Looks like he's the clear winner of the Ryan Ludwick injury.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 299)

Postby thedude » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:43 pm

Kuroda had to leave the Yankees-Red Sox game after trying to field a Victorino line drive with his bare hand. :-o
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Sticky Spice » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:45 pm

Whew, thanks to Mark Reynolds for hitting it back to the mound for a double play and cinching the QS on Morrow's 100th pitch. ;-D
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 42)

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:51 pm

wrveres wrote:In my NL Only, Thors dad spent all his FAAB (100) on some Padre bat named Gyorko last night and i had a chuckle. The previous craziness was somebody spending a third of his FAAB on said bat.
Hello??
Did you miss the part that said "Padre bat"?
Im a fan, and will rarely even draft a "Padre Bat".

I put down $10 and thought I had him.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:52 pm

If the Mets finish any less than 162 - 0, it will be a major disappointment.

Harvey beasting, or the Padres being the Padres?? I can't be objective here. Incapable.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 401)

Postby Sticky Spice » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:55 pm

I was about to shame the Pads... how embarrassing... !+)
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 42)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:06 pm

I want this guy to root for the Mets so bad...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:12 pm

Never knew how to pronounce Gyorko until right now. Jorko. Thought it was Gee-or-ko.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thedude » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:17 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
thedude wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
They don't have to tank, they're awful.

They are built to lose, that's the whole point.

I highly doubt they are playing worse players over better players just to lose or that they specifically avoided bringing better players to the team so that they could lose more.

Why?

If there is no possible way to come close to making the playoffs, it makes sense to lose as much as possible to secure a higher draft pick and a more money to spend in the draft pool. It makes very little difference in terms of revenue if you win 70 games or win 55 games. On the other hand, 55 wins gives you the first pick in the draft and $11.6 million to spend on the draft (how much the Astros have for this draft, it will be more for the team with the worst record in 2013). 70 wins might give you the 10th or 11th pick in the draft and around $7 million to spend on all your picks combined. In the current draft structure, when picks cannot hold for insane bonuses only big markets can afford, tanking for draft picks makes lots of sense. It makes even more sense since very few star players are electing to go to free agency, and they are instead signing long term deals early in their careers.

In 2012, the difference between being able to choose between Mark Appel and Jonathan Gray (both advanced college arms with true number one potential) and choosing between Colin Moran (a first baseman with questionable powerside) and Trey Ball is noticalable. The 2012 draft is not even a draft that is considered strong (in fact it is considered rather weak). If there was a Steven Strasburg or a Bryce Harper entering the draft, the incentive to tank might be extremely tempting for teams.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers