MLB NOW - I have Questions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB NOW - I have Questions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MLB NOW - I have Questions

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:30 pm

Okay, so I'm watching this 'MLB NOW' program that followed the Rays/O's game, and it's Harold Reynolds and Brian Kenny talking baseball, debating, etc. It seems to be being played as Kenny's the 'stats guy' and Reynolds is the 'purist' -- especially with the talk about Robinson Cano's worth that just happened 10 - 15 minutes ago. Kenny used WAR to suggest Cano is worth $252 million as a 7.5 Win player, projecting decline by age, etc., while Reynolds talked about how Cano doesn't put butts in seats, etc.

Is this show new? Is Brian Kenny really a stat guy? I've never heard him talk about anything where I really thought he was knowledgeable aside from boxing. Anybody else watching this show? Just me? Doesn't Bob Costas' shirt look stupid??
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: MLB NOW - I have Questions

Postby Element » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:41 pm

I haven't seen the show yet, but that is the premise of it, yes. Kenny hosts Clubhouse Confidential which debuted last season (??). It is a shows based on sabermetrics. He often has Bill James and Dave Cameron on the show.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 968)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:53 pm

I saw a bunch of people on Twitter commenting on how funny it was to watch Brain Kenny trying to explain WAR to Harold Reynolds so I'm now watching this. I have no idea what the background on this show is or how much of a stathead Kenny is, but judging from the 10 minutes I just watched, I am taking some satisfaction in these logic vs. stupidity debates...if only because sabermetrics and actual innovative and interesting baseball ideas are seemingly never acknowledged or discussed on any major sports show or network.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:55 pm

Element wrote:I haven't seen the show yet, but that is the premise of it, yes. Kenny hosts Clubhouse Confidential which debuted last season (??). It is a shows based on sabermetrics. He often has Bill James and Dave Cameron on the show.

I didn't know about this show either. Maybe I need to start paying a little more attention to MLB Network, at least when guys like Reynolds and Mitch Williams are not on the air.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Y`s Guy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:01 pm

I think Brian k made a great transition to the Network and his giving us The Shredder is great. As stated above, to have stats that so many Enders of the world use daily to evaluate players for a computer game is much needed nowadasy and the MLB Network is doing great.

As for Mitch Williams...the guys is awesome. You'll never hear him say something that makes you go...hmmmmm...but he'll make you laugh and this uptight world where everyone's a critic (even me) he is great.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 379)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:15 pm

Man, Reynolds is painful. Just argued that Jeter is the best SS in baseball. I really like that Kenny fired logic back at him after every ridiculous point he made though.

Y`s Guy wrote:I think Brian k made a great transition to the Network and his giving us The Shredder is great. As stated above, to have stats that so many Enders of the world use daily to evaluate players for a computer game is much needed nowadasy and the MLB Network is doing great.

As for Mitch Williams...the guys is awesome. You'll never hear him say something that makes you go...hmmmmm...but he'll make you laugh and this uptight world where everyone's a critic (even me) he is great.

To each his own. Williams certainly does make me say hmmmmm, just for the wrong reasons. I'm all for people being entertaining, but the things he says just make my head hurt.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ayebatter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:17 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Okay, so I'm watching this 'MLB NOW' program that followed the Rays/O's game, and it's Harold Reynolds and Brian Kenny talking baseball, debating, etc. It seems to be being played as Kenny's the 'stats guy' and Reynolds is the 'purist' -- especially with the talk about Robinson Cano's worth that just happened 10 - 15 minutes ago. Kenny used WAR to suggest Cano is worth $252 million as a 7.5 Win player, projecting decline by age, etc., while Reynolds talked about how Cano doesn't put butts in seats, etc.

Is this show new? Is Brian Kenny really a stat guy? I've never heard him talk about anything where I really thought he was knowledgeable aside from boxing. Anybody else watching this show? Just me? Doesn't Bob Costas' shirt look stupid??

I believe it's the second show and Kenny has been on for awhile as a stats guy, I can't stand Kenny and Harold is out of his element here I don't see this show lasting long.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1605)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:20 pm

ayebatter wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Okay, so I'm watching this 'MLB NOW' program that followed the Rays/O's game, and it's Harold Reynolds and Brian Kenny talking baseball, debating, etc. It seems to be being played as Kenny's the 'stats guy' and Reynolds is the 'purist' -- especially with the talk about Robinson Cano's worth that just happened 10 - 15 minutes ago. Kenny used WAR to suggest Cano is worth $252 million as a 7.5 Win player, projecting decline by age, etc., while Reynolds talked about how Cano doesn't put butts in seats, etc.

I believe it's the second show and Kenny has been on for awhile as a stats guy, I can't stand Kenny and Harold is out of his element here I don't see this show lasting long.

Watching it before, I actually kinda liked Kenny. I liked him when he used to talk boxing, and it was interesting seeing a guy represent 'my' view, I guess would be the best way to put it -- although apparently I missed that last season on his other MLB Network show as well. It stands out even more so when it's preceded or followed by Reynolds talking about nonsensical rhetoric. Jury's out for me. It was a nice change, but it could be just that it was different.

Seriously though, didn't Bob Costas' shirt/tie combo look silly?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)

Postby J35J » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 pm

I'm actually surprised by everyone not know this was coming on. I've had it DVR'd for a couple weeks now in anticipation of how confused Kenny might make Reynolds with all the numbers. Too bad they didn't get a true numbers guy though, a Dave Cameron or someone...Kenny isn't horrible but he's not exactly great either. I haven't watched todays yet but watched the first episode and was a little disappointed because their debates were kept within like a minute time frame which didn't allow for much discussion or explaining of the numbers as well as it could have been.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby ayebatter » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:55 am

Aarrgggggg THE SHOW IS TERRIBLE :-t

/
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1605)

Next