How long do you put up with...... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How long do you put up with......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How long do you put up with......

Postby murph3699 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:55 pm

I run a pretty successful keeper league in its 9th year. Its 16 teams and we still have 8 original members but the league is free. Its private by invitation but every couple of years it seems we run into some people who flake out.

How long is a reasonable amount of time to give an absentee owner before they get replaced? In the past, I've done it based on longevity. I replaced an original member this offseason because he didn't maintain his roster after June, and he would have made the playoffs if he had just done minimum maintenance. Another year, a noob got replaced after 6 weeks.

Thoughts?
murph3699
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How long do you put up with......

Postby bigmck » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:26 pm

I commished a roto league of 11 owners for 17 years. There was one guy who was an original owner and would be at the draft, pay his $30 and would be heard from once or twice a year to fix his team. He was an extra nice guy and a friend. You could count on him doing the same thing every year but he enjoyed it. It is hard to kick out a nice guy. If it is just a guy that joined, I think one year if it is a pay league. You said yours is a free league. You should talk to him after a month and see where he stands. If it is just a guy, he is easy to kick out. If it is a friend, I can't do it. Good Luck
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby jefferey13 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:04 am

I think it is important to just set rules for how often you need to check your team. Going 6 weeks for me is way beyond okay. In our league rules it states minimum of once per week. I mean sure if someone took and extra once or twice I wouldn't say anything but I check with players and watch the transaction logs and lineups.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fassero99 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:50 pm

I don't know if there's a perfect answer. I've been in leagues for 22 years now and I've seen owners with teams they might do something with once or twice a year and still finish top four and have seen the "micro-est" of micro-managers fix their rosters with abandon and finish at or near the bottom. I had a league with a rule saying the Commissioner could intervene and make moves for owners that disappeared late in the season (i.e. September) if enough owners complained but, frankly, it was never used because most owners never even bothered to take a good look at the activity of others (especially if they were competing for the top.)
Fassero99
T-Ball Trainer

Postby mkultra » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:45 am

I think you need to draw a distinction between 2 situations involving inactive owners:

1) The team's active roster has players who are injured, demoted, or have lost their job in the starting lineup. In this situation, I think it's totally fine for a commissioner to step in a make the roster "legit" as best as possible using the team's bench, as long as it's clear to everyone up front how long a team has before the commish can intervene. I would draw the line at adding replacement players, though.

2) The team's roster is filled with players who are way underperforming their draft position, but is still "legit". Not your problem. It sucks, but I would not touch the roster. It's not your place to make decisions about quality.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Return to Commissioner's Corner