Elvis Andrus signs long term deal with TEX - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Elvis Andrus signs long term deal with TEX

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Elvis Andrus signs long term deal with TEX

Postby Izenhart » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:42 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source- ... --mlb.html

Two-time All-Star shortstop Elvis Andrus has reached an agreement on a contract guaranteeing him $120 million over an additional eight seasons through 2022 with the Texas Rangers, a person familiar with the negotiations said Monday night.

With the two years left on his current deal and the eight additional years, Andrus would earn more than $131 million over 10 seasons.

Second baseman Ian Kinsler got a new $75 million, five-year contract last season that locked up the three-time All-Star through 2017 and includes a club option for 2018.

So what does this do for Profar's future? I can't see him making an impact this season now unless there is a major injury to one of these guys.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Elvis Andrus signs long term deal with TEX

Postby thedude » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:49 am

They do not need to trade Profar today, but if they were smart, they would trade him for the best available player. David Price might be available for trade at some point soon, and that seems like a good match.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby kab21 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:01 am

The better answer is to trade Kinsler or move him to 1B/LF. However the Rangers are a team with a few holes. They could really use a David Price level pitcher and that is the kind of player that you target for a guy like Profar. I wonder if Tampa even listens to the proposal during the season as long as they aren't out of it. I doubt it.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:21 pm

Terrible. $120mil to a guy that isn't the greatest hitter, when you have the best prospect in baseball who also plays that position.

Elite money to a non-elite player. FAIL :-t
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Izenhart » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:30 pm

AussieDodger wrote:Terrible. $120mil to a guy that isn't the greatest hitter, when you have the best prospect in baseball who also plays that position.

Elite money to a non-elite player. FAIL :-t

This is how I see it. People overrate his abilities in RL and in fantasy. It's not just that he has no power. They are banking on him being a gold glove SS and high on base guy for the majority of these 10 years. I think they will end up being disappointed in both and realize whatever SP they get for Profar is long gone when Profar is 25 years old and signing a similar contract while being a better overall player.

The only thing that could make sense to this signing to me is that they do plan to move Kinsler somewhere else (3B would be fun) and use Profar at 2B. He'd have the best arm of any 2B in baseball but so what.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:45 pm

Izenhart wrote:The only thing that could make sense to this signing to me is that they do plan to move Kinsler somewhere else (3B would be fun) and use Profar at 2B. He'd have the best arm of any 2B in baseball but so what.

I think that is the plan. Kinsler to 1B or OF. Profar to 2b.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby bayside » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:53 pm

Ya if they dont trade either Profar or Kinsler by the end of the year this seems like a terrible contract for Texas.But then again we are seeing a ton of inflation these past 2 seasons.
Kinsler kind of seems like a whiny little ****** who wont move positions willingly so maybe he goes.
Or perhaps Texas finally decides that they can part with Profar + stuff to get Stanton?
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kab21 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:32 pm

This is not a bad deal. It definitely doesn't become a bad deal if a profar trade doesn't work out. The profar trade if it doesn't work out is the bad deal. Personally I think we will see kinsler move before we see a Profar trade.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kab21 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:30 am

Here's an awesome solution to everyone's problems that would never happen. http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-o ... k-about-it

The Rangers need long-term outfield help since both David Murphy and Nelson Cruz will become free agents after the season, and that's where Cardinals top prospect Oscar Taveras comes in. St. Louis needs long-term middle infield help and has outfield depth to spare, so a Taveras -- Baseball America's No. 3 prospect -- for Profar trade seems like a match made in rumor heaven. Each team would be dealing from a position of depth to fill a need.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Padsin05 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:48 am

kab21 wrote:Here's an awesome solution to everyone's problems that would never happen. http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-o ... k-about-it

The Rangers need long-term outfield help since both David Murphy and Nelson Cruz will become free agents after the season, and that's where Cardinals top prospect Oscar Taveras comes in. St. Louis needs long-term middle infield help and has outfield depth to spare, so a Taveras -- Baseball America's No. 3 prospect -- for Profar trade seems like a match made in rumor heaven. Each team would be dealing from a position of depth to fill a need.

except a superstar SS is worth a hell of a lot more then a SS outfielder
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers