Adding an N/A slot after the draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Adding an N/A slot after the draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Adding an N/A slot after the draft

Postby Business Time » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:38 pm

Just wanted to hear some opinions from this board...

After the draft, the commissioner of my 12 team league (non keeper) found out that an N/A roster slot (similar to a DL slot) could be added. He decided to put it to a league vote and the responses were 6 to 1 in favor of adding the roster slot (after the draft, but before the season began).

The one objection that was raised was based on the fact that this was unfair to some teams and should not be added after the draft unless there was unanimous consent from all owners. The votes in support stated that since nobody knew about this during the draft, no team had a competitive advantage (and that the majority of teams supported the addition).

Any opinions?
Business Time
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Adding an N/A slot after the draft

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:52 pm

As a commish, and as the guy who added the NA slot and the ability to add them after the draft heh, in my keeper league I tend not to make any of those, "I would have done things differently if I'd known..." changes without a year's advance notice unless support is unanimous. We changed to FAAB/Continuous Waivers this year because I didn't hear a compelling argument for, "I would have planned my roster differently going into protections if I'd known we were going to switch to FAAB/Continuous." But we'll be adding an NA slot next year rather than this year, because people might have planned/protected/drafted differently.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 93)

Postby murph3699 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:50 pm

If there is overwhelming support to change/add a rule then I'd say its ok. Its not as if you are changing scoring/categories or drastically adjusting the roster. The best time to get that stuff done is the offseason. In our league, we actually voted on next year's rules already because it affects the way someone might draft this year.
murph3699
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Thin.Blue.Line » Sat May 11, 2013 8:40 am

I had the exact same situation in my Yahoo! league. I did add the N/A spot for the sole reason that it was a newly invented spot. I didn't just forget or not know about the spot.. that spot was created by Yahoo! a couple weeks after the season started.
"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby
Thin.Blue.Line
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Bat Boy 42 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:17 pm

Should NEVER change rules and/or settings after the draft. This includes N/A slot.
Bat Boy 42
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 10)

Return to Commissioner's Corner