Jeff "The Shark" Samardzija - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeff "The Shark" Samardzija

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jeff "The Shark" Samardzija

Postby bayside » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:45 pm

Ender wrote:
Funny, he had an awful June last season then dominated the rest of the way. 2.58 ERA post-ASB, 4.71 pre-ASB. There is not a track record of him falling apart as the season wears on.


There is not a track record on him period, he has under a full season of data to go on as a starter. His great 2nd half was built around LOB% more than anything and they shut him down in September when he was tired.

guys that strike out s s***ton of hitters tend to have good LOB%
but just like BABIP, we really dont know enough about the stat to say that he was lucky or that he will regress heavily.
and why are you so sure he will wear down at the end of season any more than any other pitcher, when in his one season as a starter he showed us the exact opposite?
i dont know exactly why you dont like Samarj, but you have made it abundantly clear that thats the case. we get it.



*mod edit*
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1344
Joined: 14 Jul 2011
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: WHOOOOOS got it better than us?

Re: Jeff "The Shark" Samardzija

Postby wrveres » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:55 pm

this is approaching funny.
He was sat down for the final month last year, and yet "He won me a title down the stretch" .. "why are you so sure he will wear down at the end of season, when in his one season as a starter he showed us the exact opposite" ..

am i the only one that sees the hypocrisy ? And they are using it as a hammer to beat up on a respected poster who simply laid out some facts and said he'd recommend selling at the break.

Ender, id walk away. He made one start, and they have all the evidence they need to prove you're an idiot.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31781
(Past Year: 757)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jeff "The Shark" Samardzija

Postby bayside » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:39 pm

whoops sorry for the slang above. my mistake.

wrevs -
thats not even the point Ender was making. :?
he was sat down because he had thrown way way way more innings than he ever had before in his career. perfectly normal and what all teams do.
and nearly ALL pitchers and all players tire somewhat at the end of the season, whether you see it in their numbers or not.

the argument that he will tire in august so everyone better trade him in July or whatever holds no water.
show me some stats that say that that is the case. at least give me a valid premise for this being true.
i see no reason at all that he cant throw 185 -200 innings with a K rate above 9/9ip
to go along with a mid/high 3ish era and a league average whip.

and the main thing is that the other guys are right regarding Enders tone.
hes obviously very knowledable and makes pretty insightful posts. no argument there. but he is also is incredibly condenscending when anyone likes a player that he doesnt, or has a differnet viewpoint on any subject.
Last edited by bayside on Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1344
Joined: 14 Jul 2011
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: WHOOOOOS got it better than us?

Re: Jeff "The Shark" Samardzija

Postby cordscords » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:49 pm

I think Ender does a good job of playing Devils Advocate around here. Sometimes tone is tough to convey on the internet. I haven't seen any personal attacks, just some teasing that might rub some people the wrong way.

As for "The Shark"- I projected him at 3.60 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, 180 SO, 10 Wins in 185 innings. I tend to be conservative with my projections, so I think he's got a great shot of breaking out and emerging as an ace.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4343
(Past Year: 20)
Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jeff "The Shark" Samardzija

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:24 pm

cordscords wrote:I think Ender does a good job of playing Devils Advocate around here. Sometimes tone is tough to convey on the internet. I haven't seen any personal attacks, just some teasing that might rub some people the wrong way.

Agreed (much like the Ogando debate Ender and I had in the past). ;-D

As for Samardzija, I'm in the boat expectations should be tempered, especially coming off the heels of yesterday's showing. After all, he completely dominated the Pirates a season ago...
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3274
(Past Year: 83)
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Hank Aaron's backyard

Re: Jeff "The Shark" Samardzija

Postby Ender » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:37 pm

why are you so sure he will wear down at the end of season any more than any other pitcher


I'm not saying he will. I'm saying that when he does wear down his mechanics fall apart and he gets wild and as someone who relies heavily on a slider and a split finger he is more likely than most to get hurt. I'm not even down on him, I'm saying that I would ride his arm for the first half and then sell him. Wrigley is a pitchers park early in the season, the Cubs will be playing to win more in the 1st half than the 2nd half, he is a pitcher that I think will pitch poorly as a full seasons of innings start to make him tired (which it does to every pitcher). I'd certainly rather own him than Ogando who came up in this thread now~.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jeff "The Shark" Samardzija

Postby OBPlover » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:46 pm

I like Ender's comments. Even though I'm his favorite whipping boy. There's no need for childish name calling.
It's good to have a dissenting voice. Heck, usually it's me with the dissenting opinion. I just have a little bit better bedside manner.

And for the record, I was right more than I was right last year too, with some unpopular opinions such as:

a)Jake Peavy will have a bad second half due to overuse (check)
b) Cueto will be good.
c) EE will not fall off the wagon after the all star break (due to his nice high walk rate spike).
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 626
(Past Year: 135)
Joined: 1 Apr 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jeff "The Shark" Samardzija

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:21 pm

wrveres wrote:this is approaching funny.
He was sat down for the final month last year, and yet "He won me a title down the stretch"

This is what I actually said: Yeah he finished great last year. Carried my NL Only team into the money. And then I followed up with his actual stats from his actual finish. You want the game logs from my team? He made two starts into September before being shut down. Not like he just hung up the cleats in July.

wrveres wrote: .. "why are you so sure he will wear down at the end of season, when in his one season as a starter he showed us the exact opposite" ..

am i the only one that sees the hypocrisy ? And they are using it as a hammer to beat up on a respected poster who simply laid out some facts and said he'd recommend selling at the break.

Here's what he actually said:

Ender wrote:His great 2nd half was built around LOB% more than anything and they shut him down in September when he was tired.

Yes... just full of hypocrisy to argue with an unfounded claim that he was shut down because he was tired. Great way to twist everything around to suit yourself.

And it's not just that he's arrogant, I can be arrogant too. He just does not support his claims. Has a tendency to have a conclusion in mind and then grasp at straws to support it.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3080
(Past Year: 139)
Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jeff "The Shark" Samardzija

Postby Izenhart » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:58 pm

I just don't think he puts the effort into explaining his opinions as much as he puts effort into the conclusions he makes, which is fine with me. I don't need to know why your opinion is what it is. Facts can be used to make both sides of any argument. I don't particularly like debating all day about who is/will be right or wrong about a guy. I state what I feel and why I feel it and move on, and he tries to do the same. I think some posters take offense to the brash tone in his posts, but in the end we are all just here to help each other, not the other way around. I respect all of your opinions (well maybe not all) some more than others, and sometimes I disagree with Ender, or Skin, or wveres, or whoever... I'm glad we have varying opinions and varying reasons for our opinons. Its what makes reading other's thoughts worth considering, looking at all angles paints a broader, clearer picture.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1608
(Past Year: 298)
Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Big Papiville

Re: Jeff "The Shark" Samardzija

Postby rjforlife » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:43 pm

It's just being combatative that gets old, ala Wier(BlueJays guy). I think without people like that, the site might become dull, but it does get exhausting. Whatever, Samardzija is good but has a lot to prove, I don't think anyone can dispute that.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7509
(Past Year: 748)
Joined: 25 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Vegas Baby

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: buiviopaufamp, kab21, scarnicease, uphonnandam and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact