Jose Fernandez gets the call! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jose Fernandez gets the call!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jose Fernandez gets the call!

Postby jackie hayes » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:01 pm

jackie hayes wrote:Rookies are always a risk, and he's on a very bad team. That said, I picked him up in a bunch of leagues after that start. (Or before, and then decided to hold onto him.) The control was there, the fastball was great after the first inning, the slurve and changeup may not be all there, but they looked serviceable. It's tough to know how he'll wear down as the season goes along, but I'm happy throwing him out there for now.

I'm guessing a strikeout rate of 8 and change per 9, walks of about 3.5 per 9, an era around 4. Pure guess, based on minor league stats, age, and how he looked. Home runs are a concern, and wins may be hard to come by. But overall, I'm a believer.

Mea culpa. Unreal. I was thinking an era of about 3.50 to start, and tiring down the stretch. The first part looks about right, but instead of tiring, he's become the best pitcher in the game.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 77)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Izenhart » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:07 pm

The home run Fernandez just hit puts his BA on par with his ERA, both at 220. Is he a lock for ROY? top 5 CY? Sure was fun to watch this year.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 298)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:02 pm

It'll either be Puig or Fernandez. Depends how Puig finishes up the season. I don't think voters really factor playoff team vs non-playoff team for the ROY, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt that the Dodgers have been the best team in baseball since Puig was called up and the Marlins were, well, everything we expected them to be (not that it was Fernandez's fault).
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 139)

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:54 am

apparently some are upset (like the Braves) that Fernandez stood at the plate some to watch his HR. personally, I LOVE IT! I wish more players would do it. I don't understand why players consider this a problem and get their panties in a bunch. if a player does something great like hit a HR, they should be able to watch. especially in this case when it's a pitcher who might never hit another HR again.
to pitchers: if you don't want a player standing at the plate after hitting a HR, don't let him hit a HR! #simple.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 83)

Postby apz » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:40 am

If nothing else they should be running because it might not be a home run. They look pretty stupid when they admire their 'HR' only to realize they just turned a double or triple into a long single. You hit the ball and you run.
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 33)

Postby Izenhart » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:28 am

apz wrote:If nothing else they should be running because it might not be a home run. They look pretty stupid when they admire their 'HR' only to realize they just turned a double or triple into a long single. You hit the ball and you run.

True but like A.J. Pierzinski (sp?) says, when you screw up, it's ultimately money out of your own pocket. So if you feel the need to admire a blast, you need to be 100% sure it's going out. If anyone is allowed to admire it, its a pitcher IMO. He's dueling against the guy he just hit it off - there's no better way to show up your opponent. The whole play was awesome because just the inning before Gattis took Jose deep and Chris Johnson took offense to Jose's reaction for some reason, who ended the inning on a liner to left. Not only did Fernandez stand and watch, he also made a very sleight gesture to Johnson as he rounded third base before spitting as he passed. So he showed up the pitcher and the guy he just got out, who was acting like an ass. It really was awesome and Its a part of baseball that should be more tolerated without the need to clear benches. The Braves were just clearly butthurt.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 298)

Postby jackie hayes » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:15 pm

Interesting take from MLB Tonight:

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=30 ... id=7417714

After Gattis admired his homer, I can't blame Fernandez for returning the favor. The jawing with Johnson is just icing. Of course, he looks really dumb if he's wrong and it stays in the park. But, he wasn't wrong. :-D

It's going to be interesting to see where he goes in drafts next season. Such an amazing year, def the highlight of the 2013 season for me.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 77)

Postby Joe Mauer » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:23 pm

He has nothing to apologize for. But he took the high road in the end, even though he didn't have to.

I like this kid a lot!

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers