Jose Fernandez gets the call! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jose Fernandez gets the call!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jose Fernandez gets the call!

Postby thedude » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:17 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:I'm talking about the caliber of his pitches, and not the number he throws. At this point, he has one pitch that grades out as elite, and elite it is. There is a big difference between current development and potential, and make sure you arent confusing the two when reading scouting reports. Like I already said, his curve will likely develop into a plus pitch and potentially plus-plus, but it is absolutely not there yet. Most scouting reports note his inconsistency with the pitch, and I've yet to see it grade at anything as elite as you guys seem to think. I'm very familiar with his scouting reports and his potential, I've even seen him pitch twice in person last season, but my statement is purely based on his current development and his ability to help fantasy owners for this season.

I still have to disagree with you. I know the difference between present ability and projection. Fernandez's curveball at this point is already a good pitch, and he already has the ability to command that curveball. Apparently, when Fernandez was promoted to High A last season he tried to overpower hitters with his fastball, but he quickly straightened out that problem.

His change up by comparison is more of a work in progress, and I am sure that he will have problems as the year progresses.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:09 pm

I'm hoping for a steady enough first three outings or so, ideally with high K's. Then it's trading time ...
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby SupaSLY11 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:26 pm

Bumping this thread for input for expected output from him for the rest of the year. Trying to determine if I should sell high or hold. Surprised that there isn't more chatter considering his impressive 1st start this past Sunday.
SupaSLY11
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jackie hayes » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:42 pm

Rookies are always a risk, and he's on a very bad team. That said, I picked him up in a bunch of leagues after that start. (Or before, and then decided to hold onto him.) The control was there, the fastball was great after the first inning, the slurve and changeup may not be all there, but they looked serviceable. It's tough to know how he'll wear down as the season goes along, but I'm happy throwing him out there for now.

I'm guessing a strikeout rate of 8 and change per 9, walks of about 3.5 per 9, an era around 4. Pure guess, based on minor league stats, age, and how he looked. Home runs are a concern, and wins may be hard to come by. But overall, I'm a believer.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 77)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:01 pm

SupaSLY11 wrote:Bumping this thread for input for expected output from him for the rest of the year. Trying to determine if I should sell high or hold. Surprised that there isn't more chatter considering his impressive 1st start this past Sunday.

It's very unlikely that anybody is willing to buy a player after 1 start.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby Izenhart » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:52 pm

I watched his start and he looked very impressive. Hitters had a hard time following his fastball which is a great sign. Second time through the order they looked just as lost. I think he's going to be a very good pitcher right now, but won't get the innings or wins aces get.

ERA low 3's, 9.5 k/9, k/bb of 3.5/1, maybe 7 wins if he's lucky. They will probably keep his pitch counts low and he'll be lucky to leave with a lead on any given night, and luckier to still have the lead after 9.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 298)

Postby kab21 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:58 pm

I bought Fernandez before his first start. ;-D

Of course it's a dynasty and I sold high on Puig (I think...) and threw in Maurer with a 1st rd pick (1st yr players).

I think Fernandez is one of the rare pitchers that could break the 3.50 ERA mark as a rookie. On the downside he's going to be lucky to make it through the 6th inning most nights, the marlins are terrible (run support) and he will probably be shut down in September.

28 GS's, 160 IP, 3.33 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, 6 W
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 168)

Postby mac-unit » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:27 pm

kab21 wrote:I bought Fernandez before his first start. ;-D

Of course it's a dynasty and I sold high on Puig (I think...) and threw in Maurer with a 1st rd pick (1st yr players).

I think Fernandez is one of the rare pitchers that could break the 3.50 ERA mark as a rookie. On the downside he's going to be lucky to make it through the 6th inning most nights, the marlins are terrible (run support) and he will probably be shut down in September.

28 GS's, 160 IP, 3.33 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, 6 W

I like Fernandez but I think that other guy won in a dynasty. This upcoming draft is loaded with college arms with higher ceilings than Fernandez who should be in the bigs by 2015. You have to hope Puig never hits 20 HR.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 11)

Postby kab21 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:37 pm

That pick will be close to #20 overall. I'm not overly concerned about that. I hope Puig does well but potential aces are singlehandedly the most valuable asset in this league.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 168)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:46 pm

kab21 wrote:That pick will be close to #20 overall. I'm not overly concerned about that. I hope Puig does well but potential aces are singlehandedly the most valuable unpredictable asset in this league.

Young top 10 prospect starters often have a great debut start and then go downhill for the next 20 or so. And tons of them never come close to their expectations or get injured. Not saying it's a bad swap for Puig, but you're definitely assuming a lot of risk.
Last edited by Skin Blues on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 139)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers