Jose Fernandez gets the call! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jose Fernandez gets the call!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jose Fernandez gets the call!

Postby RedHopeful » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:45 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:Obvious desperation move by the front office to sell tickets and keep their jobs in the near future, absolutely no regard for what's best for Fernandez.

Well, the couple of injuries to Alvarez and Eovaldi helped, but yeah, I totally agree. Meanwhile, Yelich who absolutely raked, they kept in the minors. Sounds like someone is playing darts...
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Fade2White12 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:31 pm

This is a BAD move, IMO. Fernandez has an amazing fastball, but a this point, that's it. His other offerings are currently average at best, although the curve may develop into a plus pitch. An elite fastball can often take a player very far in the minors, even without multiple advanced pitches. It will not have the same impact in the majors. I'd very very much temper my expectations.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:17 pm

Fade2White12 wrote: Fernandez has an amazing fastball, but a this point, that's it. His other offerings are currently average at best, although the curve may develop into a plus pitch.

I would have to disagree. The scouting reports say the opposite, and note that Fernandez has and uses his other pitches. Fernandez has a curveball which is already a good pitch which he is able to control. He is willing to use to his breaking pitches and does NOT rely only on his fastball.

Here is what John Sickles said today:

He also has an excellent power curveball, will throw some sliders, and has made good strides with his changeup. His command isn't perfect, but it is solid for a young power pitcher, and he does a good job mixing his arsenal and pitching, not just throwing the ball past people.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/3/3 ... or-leagues

Baseball America noted in the 2013 Handbook that "Fernandez also can overmatch hitters with a hard three-quarters breakingball... He can command it for both called strikes and swinging misses, and he'll throw it in any count. He also can use a true slider that's effective."

That does not mean he will dominant right away. In fact, I expect him to struggle some, but I expect him to him to be able to use two, three or four pitches.
Last edited by thedude on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby thedude » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:17 pm

double post
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bayside » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:14 pm

Fade2White12 wrote: Fernandez has an amazing fastball, but a this point, that's it. His other offerings are currently average at best, although the curve may develop into a plus pitch.

Most scouts pretty much completely disagree with you
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fade2White12 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:22 pm

I'm talking about the caliber of his pitches, and not the number he throws. At this point, he has one pitch that grades out as elite, and elite it is. There is a big difference between current development and potential, and make sure you arent confusing the two when reading scouting reports. Like I already said, his curve will likely develop into a plus pitch and potentially plus-plus, but it is absolutely not there yet. Most scouting reports note his inconsistency with the pitch, and I've yet to see it grade at anything as elite as you guys seem to think. I'm very familiar with his scouting reports and his potential, I've even seen him pitch twice in person last season, but my statement is purely based on his current development and his ability to help fantasy owners for this season.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby umphrey » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:39 pm

What I was reading was that his major weakness was pitch sequencing, understanding how to approach hitters, that kind of stuff. I thought maybe their plan was that if they bring him up to the majors now with an experienced catcher, they might be able to overcome those problems. Not what I would do, but Miami does a lot of things I wouldn't do.
umphrey
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ichirosan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:45 am

Picked him up in my 10-man keeper league. Then again, all I had to drop was the one and only Dillon Gee :-D
ichirosan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:27 am

Fade2White12 wrote:I'm talking about the caliber of his pitches, and not the number he throws. At this point, he has one pitch that grades out as elite, and elite it is. There is a big difference between current development and potential, and make sure you arent confusing the two when reading scouting reports. Like I already said, his curve will likely develop into a plus pitch and potentially plus-plus, but it is absolutely not there yet. Most scouting reports note his inconsistency with the pitch, and I've yet to see it grade at anything as elite as you guys seem to think. I'm very familiar with his scouting reports and his potential, I've even seen him pitch twice in person last season, but my statement is purely based on his current development and his ability to help fantasy owners for this season.

Completely agree. ;-D
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Ender » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:17 pm

footballisbetter.com wrote:What type of pitchers would you drop for him? Wandy, Hammell type pitchers?

I'd drop Wandy for him but not Hammel. I'd drop Bauer for him but then again I don't think Bauer has a chance to be good this year~.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers