Cafe's thoughts on Jackie Bradley (Bos - OF) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cafe's thoughts on Jackie Bradley (Bos - OF)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cafe's thoughts on Jackie Bradley (Bos - OF)

Postby J35J » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:56 am

The main reason why I don't see a high average this year is because he has so few professional ABs...and none above AA ball. I figure it will take him a year or two to be a .300 hitter if he's going to be one.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Izenhart » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:08 am

David Dejesus / Michael Brantley types are fine for real life but I won't be touching this guy outside of AL only.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 299)

Postby thedude » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:18 pm

J35J wrote:
swyck wrote:
J35J wrote:He doesn't really have a lot of a track record to go on so it's hard to say how well he'll do right out of the gates. Based on his limited minor league career and what he's done so far in spring...he knows his strike zone and should prove more useful in OBP leagues than AVG leagues.

I'm thinking maybe .265avg/10hr/15sb if he can get 400+AB and that's probably the top end I'd expect for this year, anything more is gravy.

If he produces at that rate IMO he doesn't get 400 AB.

I don't know...with a .265avg he could still be at a .350+OBP. And I haven't looked to see how his defense rates but if he's good there then I'd imagine the OBP will play well enough to approach 400AB. Either way, I'm not all that excited about him for this year...more of a keep an eye on and grab if he gets hot type of thing, or if you have injuries and you need to fill a hole.

His defense in center is plus-plus and his arm rates as plus. He projects as a 15-15 player in the long run, with an average in the .280 to ,300 range.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue May 28, 2013 10:45 pm

he's coming back.

http://www.overthemonster.com/2013/5/28 ... -pawtucket
Jackie Bradley Jr. will make his return to the major leagues Wednesday night in Philadelphia. Down a position player for a few days now, the Red Sox have called Bradley back up, optioning Alex Wilson to Triple-A Pawtucket.

It's been over a month since Bradley was sent back to the minor leagues following a disappointing major league debut. Though he was unable to capitalize on his spring training success while with the Sox, Bradley has regained all his momentum in the minors, even with some time off mixed in. He's hitting .360/.461/.547 for Pawtucket in 75 at bats, and is in the midst of a hitting streak that has made it to double-digits.

The question is how much of this will translate to the majors? Has Bradley figured out those inside pitches that so tormented him in April? One assumes that the Red Sox have not called him up to ride the pine--with Jonny Gomes struggling, Bradley will likely get some time in right field, allowing Daniel Nava to shift back to left.

Even if Bradley does well, the chances are he's headed right back to the minors once Shane Victorino is ready to return. The Sox have enough depth in the outfield as is if everyone's healthy. For now, though, he'll get a chance to prove that he's ready for the call-up whenever the Sox should need him.

As for Alex Wilson, the only reason he's headed down over the struggling Clayton Mortensen is a bad case of "having an option". The Red Sox are jealous with their players, sometimes to a fault. Hopefully given the sort of role Wilson and Mortensen have in the bullpen, it's a decision that will have little impact.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 91)

Postby kab21 » Tue May 28, 2013 11:42 pm

Bradley's K rates really aren't that good for a non-power hitter. He takes a lot of BB's but that won't help his BA and I think .275 is optimistic until he makes a lot of progress on the K's. His value won't be determined by BA but rather by SB's. Does he steal 20+ bases/year or is he a 30-40 SB guy? Bradley basically defines the more valuable in real life than 5x5 fantasy due to the BB's and defense.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 174)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers