Cafe's thoughts on Jackie Bradley (Bos - OF) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cafe's thoughts on Jackie Bradley (Bos - OF)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cafe's thoughts on Jackie Bradley (Bos - OF)

Postby Metropolitans » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:54 pm

Mar 28
Jackie Bradley is expected to make the Red Sox' Opening Day roster.
Advice: The Sox haven't made it official yet, but they have told Ryan Sweeney he will not be on the team, which essentially seals Bradley's and Mike Carp's spots. The 22-year-old got a hit Thursday in his lone plate appearance, pushing his average this spring up to .441 to go along with two homers, two stolen bases and 12 RBI. He will start in left field for the Sox, pushing Jonny Gomes to the DH spot. Bradley might only stick around until David Ortiz returns, but he definitely has fantasy appeal even if it's a short stay.

More: Pete Abraham on Twitter

..... as we see above, he's expected to break with the BoSox but may not stay up for long. What do u guys think his value is short-term and long-term? Obviously, if he plays lights out, hell stay up no matter what when Papi returns. What if he plays poorly, or just "OK", do the Sox still keep him in the Bigs? I like the kid a little, I just recently dropped Puig for him (I know hes been optioned but MAJOR man-crush here! lol) in a non-keeper points league, for the obvious MLB roster spot (NOT long-term upside, I believe Puig's career upside is WAY higher). But Bradley might be a cheap speed option with a little pop in Fenway, anyone else who sees him more or knows more with some input? I'm very curious what u guys think about him.... ;-D

I like him Short-Term over really young "Stud" talents like Puig and Profar for now since they're in the Minors but what about other "fringe" guys, is he worth a roster spot over guys like Chris Carter, Emilio Bonifacio, etc? Or does team need answer that? I look forward to your opinions!

Any input would be great! ;-D
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
BN LMartin,RMartin,Profar
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
BN Turner,Nolasco,Gee,Pineda
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cafe's thoughts on Jackie Bradley (Bos - OF)

Postby J35J » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:36 am

He doesn't really have a lot of a track record to go on so it's hard to say how well he'll do right out of the gates. Based on his limited minor league career and what he's done so far in spring...he knows his strike zone and should prove more useful in OBP leagues than AVG leagues.

I'm thinking maybe .265avg/10hr/15sb if he can get 400+AB and that's probably the top end I'd expect for this year, anything more is gravy.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby swyck » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:24 am

J35J wrote:He doesn't really have a lot of a track record to go on so it's hard to say how well he'll do right out of the gates. Based on his limited minor league career and what he's done so far in spring...he knows his strike zone and should prove more useful in OBP leagues than AVG leagues.

I'm thinking maybe .265avg/10hr/15sb if he can get 400+AB and that's probably the top end I'd expect for this year, anything more is gravy.

If he produces at that rate IMO he doesn't get 400 AB.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby J35J » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:39 am

swyck wrote:
J35J wrote:He doesn't really have a lot of a track record to go on so it's hard to say how well he'll do right out of the gates. Based on his limited minor league career and what he's done so far in spring...he knows his strike zone and should prove more useful in OBP leagues than AVG leagues.

If he produces at that rate IMO he doesn't get 400 AB.

I don't know...with a .265avg he could still be at a .350+OBP. And I haven't looked to see how his defense rates but if he's good there then I'd imagine the OBP will play well enough to approach 400AB. Either way, I'm not all that excited about him for this year...more of a keep an eye on and grab if he gets hot type of thing, or if you have injuries and you need to fill a hole.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby MashinSpuds » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:56 am

Hey, if guys like Daniel Nava, Darnell McDonald and Ryan Kalish have gotten a decent stint starting for the Sox long term then I think Bradley sticks even with a .265 average or so. Looks like he'll be a fun player to watch a la Ciriaco, but as with spring statistics it may not last the whole year. Decent watch and see guy, but don't depend on him for consistent production in his first year up.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:52 pm

Since he's a high contact hitter and challenging to strikeout, I personally think he'll hit closer to .300 maybe in the .285 range or higher.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:31 am

Havok1517 wrote:Since he's a high contact hitter and challenging to strikeout, I personally think he'll hit closer to .300 maybe in the .285 range or higher.

Really hard to see him hitting .300. That doesn't agree at all with what I've read about him as a hitter. Seems like he'll be a much better real-life player than fantasy. Maybe a poor man's Mike Cameron.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby RedHopeful » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:09 am

lane_anasazi2 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Since he's a high contact hitter and challenging to strikeout, I personally think he'll hit closer to .300 maybe in the .285 range or higher.

Really hard to see him hitting .300. That doesn't agree at all with what I've read about him as a hitter. Seems like he'll be a much better real-life player than fantasy. Maybe a poor man's Mike Cameron.

Mike Cameron??? :-S

Agree with Havoc that avg is where his upside for this year resides.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Joe Mauer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:13 am

RedHopeful wrote:
lane_anasazi2 wrote:

Poor man's Mike Cameron??? :-S

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:46 am

Joe Mauer wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:
lane_anasazi2 wrote:

Poor man's Mike Cameron??? :-S

Yeah, the 6 foot 2 physical specimen Mike Cameron who struck out an average of 158 times a season during his career and never hit more than .300 in the minors isn't a good comp for the 5 foot 10 Jackie Bradley who has struck out less than once per game (.70) while hitting over .300 in the minors.

Bradley is closer to a Martin Prado or Shin-Soo Choo in terms of skill set.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers