Wrong players winning spring races (rant thread) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wrong players winning spring races (rant thread)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Wrong players winning spring races (rant thread)

Postby kab21 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:56 am

jefferey13 wrote:
Element wrote:Juan Uribe over anyone? %-6

Haha, I hate Uribe. I'd much rather see Cruz at 3B and Gordon at SS, or let Puig figure out 3B.

I'm sure that Puig at 3B is not even a possibility but :-L if it is.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:30 am

Grounded Polo wrote:Jordany Valdespin not getting a starting spot in the horrific Mets outfield is a crime, would much rather see him out there over Marlon Byrd. :-P

+100
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Izenhart » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:50 am

Speaking of WTF how can this guy not be a starting OF on this crappy team: Justin Ruggiano is apparently on the wrong side of a platoon. All the while Placido 'Pork Chop' Polonco bats cleanup and the rest of the lineup would be 8-9 hitters on most other bad teams and non starting backup options on decent teams.

:-?
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)

Postby Ender » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:00 am

Ruggiano is hurt so they are probably just taking it easy with him. He also is nowhere near as good as last year makes him look and they probably know that from watching him play.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Element » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:40 pm

Ender wrote:Ruggiano is hurt so they are probably just taking it easy with him. He also is nowhere near as good as last year makes him look and they probably know that from watching him play.

Agreed. He's K's too much. That's not always frowned upon by organizations as much as it was a few years ago though. He's about to be 30 years old. Things don't just start to come together for you at this point. Most of his 2013 numbers appear to be very fluky. He's in a shitastic lineup as well. I'd want him to be someone else's problem.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby Padsin05 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:43 am

mm92280 wrote:
Padsin05 wrote:
mm92280 wrote:
Yes on both counts. Cashner was the first guy that I thought of, as I had him as a sleeper in bigger leagues. He's like the one starter in San Diego that has actual upside and they decide to put him in the pen again. They have 3 starters either recovering from Tommy John (Luebke, Weiland) or are about to have Tommy John (Casey Kelly). So, they will roll out a laughable rotation of Edinson Volquez, Jason Marquis, Clayton Richard, Eric Stults and Tyson Ross. Will Edinson Volquez manage to walk less than 100 batters this year? Will Jason Marquis have an ERA below 5.00? Will Clayton Richard do anything beyond padding his stats at PETCO? Not likely in all 3 cases. Common sense would say that they need to find out if Cashner can really be a 200 inning starter for them.

see this is something that separates fantasy guys like you and actual major league baseball front offices.

Cashner, is being kept in the pen because.
1) He had a very short off-season.
2) He hasnt been stretched out more then 70 pitches to date.
3) He is coming off an injury in the off-season and an injury plagued 2012.
4) They only want to push him to 120-130 innings top this year.

They already know Cashner isnt going to be a 200 inning guy this year, this allows him to continue to be stretched out in long relief, under the major league supervision. He will get a minimum (health providing) of 15 starts this year. The front office wants this guy to succeed, and needs him to succeed. But throwing him right into the fire in April is just stupid. He will likely join the rotation by May. They want him to pitch 120-130 healthy innings, to combine with the rest of the guys they will have returning next year and the end of this year.

Its the right call from a baseball standpoint, AND A FANTASY STANDPOINT. Since if you have him it really doesnt matter when you get his 120 innings, but it does matter if hes utilized what puts him in the best situation

I understand your logic but don't agree with you on this one. Yes, he is coming off an injury and needs more time to stretch out and get ready. I disagree with 120 innings, as I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be allowed to pitch 150 innings this year (of course, he would have to start to do that).

I don't see why they don't just let him start the season in AAA or in extended spring training and get in 4 or 5 starts down there to build up his pitch count and work on getting into a rhythm. So, what is the plan if you send him to the pen? Let him spend April and May as a long reliever and, when Marquis and company are getting shelled then you decide to move him into the rotation? He won't be stretched out and will have to be sent down to the minors to build up his pitch count again to be able to go for 90 pitches or so.

Why wait until June or so to do it? Go ahead and get him stretched out now in April so that he is ready by the end of the month. You can still monitor an innings limit for this season. We already know San Diego's pitching starters are going to get shelled and someone (maybe multiple guys) are going to lose their spot in the rotation with Cashner being the replacement. It just makes no sense to wait until June or July to make the switch and stretch him out. So, no, it doesn't make sense from a real management standpoint or from a fantasy standpoint.

as for sending him down, I am sure they dont want to send him to Tuscon to get lit up in that bandbox. The Padres method, is the Padres method, every year they have had some pretty solid success converting a long reliever to starter in season. Stauffer, Luebke, and Bass have all recently had success. They have said they only want Cashner to get to 130 innings tops in a couple interviews I have heard, so as to why its not 150, thats the FO decision. The Padres are possibly a bottom 5 team in baseball, taking their time with Cashner, who they can pair with Luebke, Kelly, Erlin, Weiland, and the other top prospects that have coming for 2014 and beyond is the right decision. In fact its the ONLY decision I agree with in Padreland
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers