Wrong players winning spring races (rant thread) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wrong players winning spring races (rant thread)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Wrong players winning spring races (rant thread)

Postby smoovethug » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:22 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:
SD choosing Tyson Ross over Andrew Cashner

+1. Maurer over Erasmo.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby daullaz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:55 pm

AussieDodger wrote:I'll start.

Detroit picking Porcello over Smyly? Really Tigers?

I realize Porcello is only 24, but he's had three seasons of suckful ERA/WHIPs: 4.92/1.39, 4.75/1.41, 4.59/1.53.
Last year he was horrendous (by my measuring), 5.46 K/9 (vomit), 3.62 XBH/9 (163rd!!!), 2.25 BB/9 (surprisingly elite)
It doesn't matter if you have good BB/9, when people are smashing doubles off you at will and you can't strike them out.

Now I'm not saying that Smyly is Kershaw, but his rookie season was excellent in patches. Taking on NYY and TEX back to back and dominating them is a real green light for me.

Seems like Detroit are going with the "name", and ignoring a superior player. My guess is Porcello will not be a starter (or possibly a Tiger) June 1.

Now that I've got that off my chest :-b , which head-to head race are you upset about?

Porcello was fantastic this spring too. If they do want to trade Porcello, it makes much more sense putting him in the rotation early on -- teams generally offer less for long relievers in trade talks, I would imagine. Easy choice for the Tigers to make, even if Smyly was the better pitcher by far last season. I'm also not sure it's a given that Porcello is traded. Tigers are obviously a WS hopeful and they have no rotation depth to speak of after Smyly. If they trade Porcello, they're one bad injury away from disaster.

My disappointments are Ross over Cashner (but I can understand limiting him as he returns from injury), Erasmo Ramirez getting sent to the minors, Hernandez over Niemann, Tyler Colvin getting sent to the minors, and I'm sure there are others.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:04 pm

Only one I agree with here is the Niemannn one. The rest of these they probably made the right decision.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Element » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:18 pm

Juan Uribe over anyone? %-6
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 761)

Postby mm92280 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:59 am

jake_harv88 wrote:TB choosing Roberto Fausto Hernandez Carmona over Jeff Niemann

Yes on both counts. Cashner was the first guy that I thought of, as I had him as a sleeper in bigger leagues. He's like the one starter in San Diego that has actual upside and they decide to put him in the pen again. They have 3 starters either recovering from Tommy John (Luebke, Weiland) or are about to have Tommy John (Casey Kelly). So, they will roll out a laughable rotation of Edinson Volquez, Jason Marquis, Clayton Richard, Eric Stults and Tyson Ross. Will Edinson Volquez manage to walk less than 100 batters this year? Will Jason Marquis have an ERA below 5.00? Will Clayton Richard do anything beyond padding his stats at PETCO? Not likely in all 3 cases. Common sense would say that they need to find out if Cashner can really be a 200 inning starter for them.
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jefferey13 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:05 am

Element wrote:Juan Uribe over anyone? %-6

Haha, I hate Uribe. I'd much rather see Cruz at 3B and Gordon at SS, or let Puig figure out 3B.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Padsin05 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:17 am

mm92280 wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:TB choosing Roberto Fausto Hernandez Carmona over Jeff Niemann

Yes on both counts. Cashner was the first guy that I thought of, as I had him as a sleeper in bigger leagues. He's like the one starter in San Diego that has actual upside and they decide to put him in the pen again. They have 3 starters either recovering from Tommy John (Luebke, Weiland) or are about to have Tommy John (Casey Kelly). So, they will roll out a laughable rotation of Edinson Volquez, Jason Marquis, Clayton Richard, Eric Stults and Tyson Ross. Will Edinson Volquez manage to walk less than 100 batters this year? Will Jason Marquis have an ERA below 5.00? Will Clayton Richard do anything beyond padding his stats at PETCO? Not likely in all 3 cases. Common sense would say that they need to find out if Cashner can really be a 200 inning starter for them.

see this is something that separates fantasy guys like you and actual major league baseball front offices.

Cashner, is being kept in the pen because.
1) He had a very short off-season.
2) He hasnt been stretched out more then 70 pitches to date.
3) He is coming off an injury in the off-season and an injury plagued 2012.
4) They only want to push him to 120-130 innings top this year.

They already know Cashner isnt going to be a 200 inning guy this year, this allows him to continue to be stretched out in long relief, under the major league supervision. He will get a minimum (health providing) of 15 starts this year. The front office wants this guy to succeed, and needs him to succeed. But throwing him right into the fire in April is just stupid. He will likely join the rotation by May. They want him to pitch 120-130 healthy innings, to combine with the rest of the guys they will have returning next year and the end of this year.

Its the right call from a baseball standpoint, AND A FANTASY STANDPOINT. Since if you have him it really doesnt matter when you get his 120 innings, but it does matter if hes utilized what puts him in the best situation
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

Postby jackie hayes » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:22 am

jefferey13 wrote:
Element wrote:Juan Uribe over anyone? %-6

Haha, I hate Uribe. I'd much rather see Cruz at 3B and Gordon at SS, or let Puig figure out 3B.

Boo... I was watching a Baltimore Orioles broadcast of a White Sox-Orioles game, and the broadcasters almost broke out laughing at one of Uribe's Tasmanian devil swings. Good times.

I'd be an eternal fan for the ninth inning of the 2005 WS anyway -- the rest is just gravy. :-D
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 70)

Postby mm92280 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:23 pm

Padsin05 wrote:
mm92280 wrote:

see this is something that separates fantasy guys like you and actual major league baseball front offices.

Cashner, is being kept in the pen because.
1) He had a very short off-season.
2) He hasnt been stretched out more then 70 pitches to date.
3) He is coming off an injury in the off-season and an injury plagued 2012.
4) They only want to push him to 120-130 innings top this year.

They already know Cashner isnt going to be a 200 inning guy this year, this allows him to continue to be stretched out in long relief, under the major league supervision. He will get a minimum (health providing) of 15 starts this year. The front office wants this guy to succeed, and needs him to succeed. But throwing him right into the fire in April is just stupid. He will likely join the rotation by May. They want him to pitch 120-130 healthy innings, to combine with the rest of the guys they will have returning next year and the end of this year.

Its the right call from a baseball standpoint, AND A FANTASY STANDPOINT. Since if you have him it really doesnt matter when you get his 120 innings, but it does matter if hes utilized what puts him in the best situation

I understand your logic but don't agree with you on this one. Yes, he is coming off an injury and needs more time to stretch out and get ready. I disagree with 120 innings, as I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be allowed to pitch 150 innings this year (of course, he would have to start to do that).

I don't see why they don't just let him start the season in AAA or in extended spring training and get in 4 or 5 starts down there to build up his pitch count and work on getting into a rhythm. So, what is the plan if you send him to the pen? Let him spend April and May as a long reliever and, when Marquis and company are getting shelled then you decide to move him into the rotation? He won't be stretched out and will have to be sent down to the minors to build up his pitch count again to be able to go for 90 pitches or so.

Why wait until June or so to do it? Go ahead and get him stretched out now in April so that he is ready by the end of the month. You can still monitor an innings limit for this season. We already know San Diego's pitching starters are going to get shelled and someone (maybe multiple guys) are going to lose their spot in the rotation with Cashner being the replacement. It just makes no sense to wait until June or July to make the switch and stretch him out. So, no, it doesn't make sense from a real management standpoint or from a fantasy standpoint.
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:13 pm

Jordany Valdespin not getting a starting spot in the horrific Mets outfield is a crime, would much rather see him out there over Marlon Byrd. :-P
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers