Buster Posey signs nine year deal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Buster Posey signs nine year deal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Buster Posey signs nine year deal

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:04 pm

Deal includes the contract he signed for this year, so tacks on another eight years. Covers the four years of arb and five free agent years with a team option for a sixth. Reportedly for $167MM with a no-trade clause.

There's some risk involved obviously, but it seems like reasonable price with the contracts being given out recently.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/03/giants-posey-reach-agreement-on-extension.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Last edited by GiantsFan14 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Buster Posey signs nine year deal

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:05 pm

Also Verlander extended and Goldschmidt. Lots of money flying around today. I would never consider the Posey deal unless they plan on moving him to 1B. C just way too risky a position but I guess they already got the 2 rings from it so even if he fails they won't be too upset!
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:08 pm

Ender wrote:Also Verlander extended and Goldschmidt. Lots of money flying around today. I would never consider the Posey deal unless they plan on moving him to 1B. C just way too risky a position but I guess they already got the 2 rings from it so even if he fails they won't be too upset!

I would assume he'll move there eventually. Can't see him lasting as a catcher until he's 35.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bayside » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:24 pm

Lol how'd I know youd be the one to post this GF? Youre on your game today!

This is probably a pretty good deal for the Giants. In 5-6 years when Posey is no longer a catcher this contract and the Votto/Fielder/Pujols deals may look like peanuts.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/giants/201 ... year-deal/
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kab21 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:34 am

Nothing wrong with this. You have to lock up players like Posey and he's the kind of player that you want on your team a long time. Perhaps (It's likely) he doesn't stay at catcher until 35 but he's a good enough hitter that he will still be very valuable at 1B.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 187)

Postby ayebatter » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:21 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Ender wrote:Also Verlander extended and Goldschmidt. Lots of money flying around today. I would never consider the Posey deal unless they plan on moving him to 1B. C just way too risky a position but I guess they already got the 2 rings from it so even if he fails they won't be too upset!

I would assume he'll move there eventually. Can't see him lasting as a catcher until he's 35.

He only starts about 100 games at catcher as it is, he'll still be crouching down there when he's 35 because that's where his real value is.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1428)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:24 am

ayebatter wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:

He only starts about 100 games at catcher as it is, he'll still be crouching down there when he's 35 because that's where his real value is.

111 last year and that was the first year back after the injury. wouldn't be surprised if they giants have him go more like 120-130.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:30 am

Also fine with this contract, would rather pay more for his production in his 20's while he's still a superstar rather than dealing with arbitration and eventually give him this exact same contract but have it end when he's like 38 instead of 35. I assume it would be wise to move him to 1B full time around year 5?
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Return to Baseball Leftovers