First-timer, H2H league. Help please? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

First-timer, H2H league. Help please?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

First-timer, H2H league. Help please?

Postby pandalolwut » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:02 pm

10 team league
categories:
R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, K, W, SV, ERA, WHIP, K/BB

C- Carlos Santana
1B- Brandon Belt
2B- Robinson Cano
3B- David Wright
SS- Jimmy Rollins
2B/SS- Ian Kinsler
1B/3B Brett Lawrie
LF- Martin Prado
CF- Carlos Gomez
RF- Justin Upton
OF- Colby Rasmus
OF- Cameron Maybin
UTIL- Rickie Weeks
UTIL- Kyle Seager

P- Fernando Rodney
P- John Axford
SP- Adam Wainwright
SP- Tim Lincecum
SP- Jonathan Niese
SP- Homer Bailey
SP- Tommy Hanson
SP- Jason Vargas
RP- Craig Kimbrel
RP- Rafael Soriano
Bench- Grant Balfour
Bench- Wandy Rodriguez
Bench- Wey-Yin Chen
Bench- Phil Hughes

As I said, my first time doing fantasy baseball. Any help would be appreciated :D
pandalolwut
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: First-timer, H2H league. Help please?

Postby DutchySox » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:24 am

Let me start with saying that I really don't like your team, but please don't take any of the following the hard way.

Well, let's start with your hitters. Going up and down your lineup, I see multiple "above average" players, but aside from Cano and (maybe) Wright (always an injury risk) and Upton (underperformed the last two years) you lack real power. Santana needs to turn the corner again in order to be effective in your league, but I'm sure he'll be better than last year. Belt, in my opinion, should not be a starting first baseman in a 10-team league (he's not even in my 12-team keeper). I would look to the waiver wire to replace him, or move him to the bench and drop Rasmus (who shouldn't be owned in a 10-team league anyway). Concluding your infield: Rollins should be decent enough. Doesn't inspire me, but generally he's steady enough. I wonder why you drafted Kinsler as your middle infielder, instead of a bigger outfield bat for the price you got him. Doesn't seem very logical: you already had Cano, and a MI-spot can be filled with a later round Altuve / Rutledge for much better value than Kinsler in the third or fourth round. Waiting would've given you the opportunity to draft a big outfield bat in Kinsler's spot, which leads to my following point.

Your outfield lacks power in the worst way, even if Justin Upton has a good year. Prado is not a very useful outfielder in fantasy (plug him in the infield: different story), and Gomez (though I kinda like him) is a risky pick after just one decent year. Rasmus and Maybin shouldn't be owned in a 10 team league.

Leading to your utility spots: two more 2B. You have four (4) second basemen on your roster, occupying various positions. No offense, but that's a pretty big draft snafu. Generally, 2Bs are not the most powerful of position players, and with the lack in power you already had at the point you drafted Weeks or Seager, you probably should've gone with a little more homer-upside / security. Unless it was part of your strategy, but then I'm curious to hear it.

Concluding: GET. MORE. POP. You need a 1B, a big outfield bat and more depth. Power came at a premium this year, and you seem to have missed out on it. and this is not going to be enough to win your league.

Pitching
Basically the same story: you don't have an (elite) ace (i.e. a Verlander, Kershaw, Felix, Price etc). You do have one great starter in Wainwright, but the rest is extremely "meh" for a 10-team league. Lincecum is done, in my opinion. Niese is average-to-slightly-above-average. I like Bailey, but not enough to rely on him as my no. 2 starter, which he basically is for you. Hanson isn't even owned in any of my leagues (10 or 12 team), and Vargas is a back of the rotation guy. You do have an abundance of RPs (including one on the bench, which is completely useless), so I would look into trading one or even two of them for either a bat or a SP. You pitching bench is shallow, though I do like Chen. Wandy and Hughes, again, are not pitchers I'd want to have on my 10-team bench.

I'd look to the waiver wire really hard if I were you. Replace Belt. See if you can get Morneau, Kendrys Morales, Mark Reynolds or even Chris Carter (Astros). (That's right, I'd rather have Chris Carter than Belt: you're in an OPS league, not an AVG league. Carter might hit 35 bombs this year with an .850+ OPS). Rasmus and Maybin need to go. Look at a Dayan Viciedo, Domonic Brown, Michael Saunders, Jon Jay or Justin Ruggiano to replace them. And trade some of your excess 2B to a team in need of one, and trade one (preferably two) RPs to someone who missed out.

If you need any help deciding which players to pick up off the waiver wire, feel free to post your questions on the forum, or send me a message! Good luck!
DutchySox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team