drafting advice H2H vs Roto - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

drafting advice H2H vs Roto

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

drafting advice H2H vs Roto

Postby Ray Zorback » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:30 am

I play mostly roto but I have a H2H yahoo pro league draft tomorrow. How should I change my draft strategery?
Ray Zorback
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 240)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: drafting advice H2H vs Roto

Postby wingman3110 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:55 am

Shouldn't change very much at all unless you have a certain "H2H strategy" you plan on employing. Take the best available players for the most part and worry about filling out roster spots as the draft progresses into the later rounds.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)

Postby J35J » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:14 am

Starting pitchers generally are valued less, at least I value them less. You are only looking for totals in a given week, not the season, so you can play matchups with certain pitchers and still get good numbers in that given week, etc. So make sure you get solid depth instead of worrying about getting 2,3 or 4 elite starters.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)

Postby kellythemick » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:28 am

J35J wrote:Starting pitchers generally are valued less, at least I value them less. You are only looking for totals in a given week, not the season, so you can play matchups with certain pitchers and still get good numbers in that given week, etc. So make sure you get solid depth instead of worrying about getting 2,3 or 4 elite starters.

While I agree with the matchup strategy J35J mentions I tend to value RP's even less in H-H. I would never draft a RP early enough to grab a top one.
If it's obvious it's probably true.
kellythemick
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 22)

Postby OBPlover » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:07 pm

Check your league's rule settings carefully to see how easy it is to do "Streaming". Streaming is basically when a team has lousy pitching but many pitchers on the bench and there are 3-5 transactions allowed per week - allowing for the constant adding and dropping of pitchers. No matter how good your starters are they will LOSE in Wins and Strikeouts or other pitching counting stats. If there are not appropriate counter measures, the value of elite starters really takes a dive.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 125)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:46 pm

I tend to value the pure power guys more in H2H
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jfg » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:56 pm

Punting steals is an easy play in H2H. You don't even need to punt them, just throw them out of your projection system and you'll probably still end up with some and end up winning the category a few weeks maybe even in the playoffs. Or just pick up a SB guy near the end of the draft and play him weeks that you think you have a chance. Any time I play H2H I calculate my projections based off runs, RBI, HR and avg. and ignore SB.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 84)

Postby smoovethug » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:27 pm

Don't be afraid to stash injured guys if your league has a DL spot or two or three. Assuming you're going to make the playoffs, guys like Beachy, D. Hudson, Luebke, etc. can come in handy down the stretch for you.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:17 pm

During the season a lot of teams have Monday and/or Thursday off, so don't be afraid to stream hitters on those days.
Every so often you'll hit on the 4/4, 2 HR day that'll push you over the line in your match up.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby isayfujobu » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:57 pm

I play both types of leagues. H2H is like the NFL playoffs. The only thing that matters in H2H is getting into the tournament, and getting hot at the end. In Roto, that 12 ER start by Burnett in May will kill you. In H2H, you can dominate all year long and have a moth fly in Holliday's ear during the playoffs and be screwed. Generally you can coast in H2H, and really crank it up at the end when playoffs start.

Draft hitters and power early and often and dominate the batting stats. You can get into the playoffs with a mediocre pitching staff and simply "game" them by streaming good matchups, playing splits, changing strategy on the fly using 6 RP, etc. I like H2H because you can look at your opponent's roster and try to figure out a way to defeat it using your league settings and optimum roster composition at that time. For this reason, I always draft hitters early in H2H. They are the most constant commodity in fantasy.
isayfujobu
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers