Setup men likely to take over the closer job - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Setup men likely to take over the closer job

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Setup men likely to take over the closer job

Postby Izenhart » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:37 am

agree with Fujikawa being the best bet and Alberquerque being the highest upside pick. I scooped up both in what leagues I could.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 531)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:01 am

Fujikawa, for me, is head and shoulders above the competition, Albequerque included. That said, and someone mentioned him already, I actually think Frieri is the next guy Id take an actual look at.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 814)

Postby West » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:29 pm

Frieri is money but he wasn't included in the list of 8 guys so I didn't bring him up.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 216)

Postby ichirosan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:17 pm

A deeper option I would add is Mark Melancon. He's going to be the next in line after Jason Grilli, who is going to be a closer for the first time.
ichirosan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 16)

Postby West » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:25 pm

Agree with Melancon. He's on my radar. I think a return to the NL will help him and there's no way his ERA should be anywhere near where it was last year.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 216)

Postby OaktownSteve » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:11 pm

Surprised not to see Kenley Jansen mentioned anywhere. Seems like an obvious one.

I've got a couple longshots to keep an eye on:

Andrew Bailey has been all star caliber whenever healthy. Had a really nice spring while Hanrahan struggled. Sox did get Bailey to close and he's got experience. Tough to predict what a guy like Hanrahan will do going from NL to AL and from small market to big.

Pedro Strop is next in line behind Jim Johnson. Johnson's xFIP was 3.68 last year. His career K/9 is only 5.7 so not a lot of margin for error. He's had some history of arm trouble earlier in his career and in the last two years he's pitched 170 innings, which is a lot for a reliever. Also had a bad spring.

Brayan Villareal. Anything goes in Detroit. His 2012 fastball velocity was 97. Dotel, Coke, Benoit all profile like 7th and 8th inning guys. Villareal's problem has been command, but in a small spring sample size he had 2.1 BB/9. If he could maintain anything close to that rate, he might just get a shot and run with it.
OaktownSteve
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 2)

Postby jackie hayes » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:44 pm

Yeah, Jansen is already known to everybody, and he's drafted in every league. Not much use discussing him. On the rest, Strop's xFIP last year was worse than Johnson's. JJ is an extreme gb pitcher, which mitigates the low k%, and he's strung together a few nice years. It's closers, anything could happen, but he'll have a lot of rope. Villarreal is someone to watch, but there's no way he maintains a walk rate like that over a long stretch. If he could get below 4, though, he could still be effective.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 274)

Postby OaktownSteve » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:01 pm

jackie hayes wrote:Yeah, Jansen is already known to everybody, and he's drafted in every league. Not much use discussing him. On the rest, Strop's xFIP last year was worse than Johnson's. JJ is an extreme gb pitcher, which mitigates the low k%, and he's strung together a few nice years. It's closers, anything could happen, but he'll have a lot of rope. Villarreal is someone to watch, but there's no way he maintains a walk rate like that over a long stretch. If he could get below 4, though, he could still be effective.

I don't love Strop necessarily but he's the current next in line and I just have a feeling the wheels could come off Johnson. Like I said that's a lot of innings for an RP. Average of 85 over the last two years. Some signs that he was leaking oil last year. Maybe a hunch. Hunches aren't necessarily a bad thing.
OaktownSteve
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 2)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers