Setup men likely to take over the closer job - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Setup men likely to take over the closer job

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Setup men likely to take over the closer job

Postby King Of Kings » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:51 am

Out of those eight setup men (four each League), who are the ones you think will end up saving games and eventually when do you see that happening?

NL
Luke Gregerson
David Hernandez
Trevor Rosenthal
Kyuji Fujikawa

AL
David Robertson
Vinnie Pestano
Al Alburquerque
Kelvin Herrera

Thank you guys! ;-D
King Of Kings
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Setup men likely to take over the closer job

Postby reiser » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:28 am

In this order:
Kyuji Fujikawa-I think Chi. could be a committee immediately.
Trevor Rosenthal-The consensus is that Motte could be out for an extended stay; committee.
Luke Gregerson -Padres very likely to be out of it and move Street.
David Hernandez-Also depends on DBacks being out of it and a trade.

AL
Al Alburquerque-Tigers should open as a committee.
I actually think Perez, Holland and Rivera keep their jobs, so these are really 2A, 2B and 2C.
The Yanks will me extremely loyal to Rivera.
Vinnie Pestano
Kelvin Herrera
David Robertson
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wingman3110 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:43 am

I've been saying this for the past 2 years but I really think this will be the year Chris Perez will lose the job in Cleveland. It'll be Vinnie Pestano time then ;-D
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 130)

Postby reiser » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:46 am

wingman3110 wrote:I've been saying this for the past 2 years but I really think this will be the year Chris Perez will lose the job in Cleveland. It'll be Vinnie Pestano time then ;-D

Given that the Tribe are playing for now, Perez's leash won't be as long.
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:22 am

Gregorson and Hernandez will pick up a few due to injuries most likely. If Motte goes down for the season Rosenthal will get the job but if it really is just short term they will stick with Boggs. Fujikawa will have that job in the 2nd half.

Robertson will sneak in a few saves early and might get some chances late if the Yankees aren't in it. I don't think any of the other 3 are particularly highly likely to get saves. Alburquerque is probably the most likely but he is the only one that might hurt you so I wouldn't want to roster him.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jackie hayes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:37 am

Ender wrote:Gregorson and Hernandez will pick up a few due to injuries most likely. If Motte goes down for the season Rosenthal will get the job but if it really is just short term they will stick with Boggs. Fujikawa will have that job in the 2nd half.

Robertson will sneak in a few saves early and might get some chances late if the Yankees aren't in it. I don't think any of the other 3 are particularly highly likely to get saves. Alburquerque is probably the most likely but he is the only one that might hurt you so I wouldn't want to roster him.

Not sure about Gregerson -- when Street went down last year, they went with Thayer. That could happen again, and a Gregerson trade wouldn't surprise me. (Could be into a setup or closer role.)
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 94)

Postby jfg » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:55 pm

Boggs was lights out last year and going to get the chances to start off the season. If he dominates do you guys really think they'll go to committee if it becomes clear Motte's out for the season.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby kab21 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:32 pm

Albuquerque and Fujikawa are the top picks imo because they are in the least settled situations.

Perez might have sucked all around (offset by luck) in 2011 but his K's and swstr% were great last year. He isn't an immediate threat to lose the position.

Rosenthal is in an unsettled situation with Motte's injury and boggs' all around average-niss. However I cringe when I hear about prospects that are ticketed to the bullpen at the beginning of the season yet are projected as starters. Rosenthal threw his FB 80% of the time with a few curves and an occasional change mixed in. He can be a great closer/setup guy with that pitch mix but he needs to be in the minors working on his secondary pitches if he is going to end up being a starter. that really isn't relevant to the question but just an observation.

The rest of the guys pitch behind well established closers (aside from Holland) that are actually pretty good (including Holland). It doesn't hurt to grab one of these guys since a few of the closers are injury prone but it's near impossible to predict trades/injuries. I own Robertson in a dynasty and there's a chance that Mo doesn't recover from the injury or struggles due to being 79 yrs old. He will have an enormous amount of leash for the job but if he really struggles I wouldn't be surprised if a misc injury occurs that allows him to save face. He definitely isn't getting demoted as long as he is remotely effectively.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby Metropolitans » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:39 am

guys im undoubtedly stashing....

Albuequerque (great stuff n proved so at the MLB level lastyr... Benoit better suited for Setup Man in my humble opinion... I drafted Al in every league with confidence!)
Fujikawa (Marmol is far too erratic and this guy was a Japanese legend at closing games, this could happen very early if Marmol cant find the plate in his first few "Closing Ops"
Frieri (Does he count??? I mean, Madson is the closer "if" he were healthy, but I believe Frieris RIDICULOUS stuff takes the role from Madson. Now I know technically Frieri has the job to start the season but that's by default due to injury, my point is, I think hell be so good that hell either keep it or Madsons first hiccup after returning will unseat him for "Ernesto -Time"!)
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
BN LMartin,RMartin,Profar
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
BN Turner,Nolasco,Gee,Pineda
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby West » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:26 am

In this order your best value is with:
Fujikawa
Robertson
Albuquerque
Gregerson
Rosenthal
Pestano
Hernandez
Herrera

If Albuquerque is out of the saves mix I would dump him as quick as possible.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 94)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers