Johan Santana - Tears shoulder, Mets bailout assured - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Johan Santana - Tears shoulder, Mets bailout assured

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Johan Santana - Tears shoulder, Mets bailout assured

Postby Grounded Polo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:06 pm

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_ ... ery-likely

New York Mets pitcher Johan Santana has re-torn an anterior capsule in his pitching shoulder, the team announced Thursday.

Santana previously underwent surgery on Sept. 2, 2010, to repair the capsule in his left shoulder -- a rare procedure in baseball -- and it took more than a year for him to return to the major leagues.

"A second surgery is a strong possibility," general manager Sandy Alderson said.

Santana, who turned 34 earlier this month, is in the final guaranteed season of a six-year, $137.5 million with the club.

Tough break for Johan, would have liked him to see him come back around July strictly to mentor Harvey/Wheeler once both are in the bigs but very happy that the slim chance of his 2014 option vesting is gone now. :-°
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Johan Santana - Tears shoulder, Mets bailout assured

Postby kab21 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:03 pm

That's terrible. I'm still a huge Johan fan from his MN days. I thought he was on track for the HOF when he left the Twins but things have gone downhill the last few years and it could be over for him.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Postby Joe Mauer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:48 pm

kab21 wrote:That's terrible. I'm still a huge Johan fan from his MN days. I thought he was on track for the HOF when he left the Twins but things have gone downhill the last few years and it is over for him.

Fixed

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby jfg » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:01 pm

Looks like the trade is going to be a wash for both teams. Actually, MN probably gets the better end seeing they aren't on the hook for the salary. Too bad the Twins didn't believe in Gomez. Not saying he's a good MLB player but even a mediocre player that's still in the lineup would really swing the trade in the Twins favor.

Too bad for Johan. I don't think there were many that didn't have him penciled in for Cooperstown. I think a lot of people knew he'd fade faster than others but all he really needed was a couple more Cy Young seasons to have a good shot.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:16 pm

S.Alderson on the Santana injury/vesting option:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDo2q9PCio0
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:13 am

They may have ruined his career, but at least he got a no-hitter. I wonder if it was worth it, for him or for the team.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

Postby rookies and cream » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:45 am

Skin Blues wrote:They may have ruined his career, but at least he got a no-hitter. I wonder if it was worth it, for him or for the team.

Andy Martino ‏@MartinoNYDN
Last year, friend of Santana's told me Johan said night of no-hitter that if that game cost him career, would be worth it.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:09 am

Finally seeing a Mets no hitter is worth anything.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby kab21 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:41 am

jfg wrote:Looks like the trade is going to be a wash for both teams. Actually, MN probably gets the better end seeing they aren't on the hook for the salary. Too bad the Twins didn't believe in Gomez. Not saying he's a good MLB player but even a mediocre player that's still in the lineup would really swing the trade in the Twins favor.

Too bad for Johan. I don't think there were many that didn't have him penciled in for Cooperstown. I think a lot of people knew he'd fade faster than others but all he really needed was a couple more Cy Young seasons to have a good shot.

He wasn't a big guy but I didn't see him fading fast. He was never a fastball guy and he excelled due a great changeup. I think he could have been very effective for a long time if not for the injury.

I'm not sure I could have handled two more terrible seasons of Carlos Gomez. It's just unfortunate that the J.J. Hardy trade didn't work out. They could have had the steady SS that they have been looking for.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:03 pm

Far from shocking. The guy obviously wasn't right after the 134 pitch no no. Wasn't right all spring. The Mets obviously didn't get the expected value out of his contract, but I'm certainly not upset about it. This isn't some Oliver Perez or Jason Bay type of thing, where they're basically stealing. Money was huge, but he had earned it. He was a rock for the Mets. The Met had their epic 2007 collapse, and he came in in 2008 and was an absolute monster. That fall, the Mets were collapsing yet again, but Johan was going out there just pitching his balls off still. Carried the team as much as a guy who plays every five days can. The first few years of his deal he earned every penny of his contract, which in the current day and age of big contracts, seems to be all you can really ask for. Unfortunately it didn't work out, with the way the Mets have mishandled, well, just about everything, but the guy is truly an unbelievable pitcher.

As for the no hitter. I don't regret it for a second, and it sounds like neither does he. 134 pitches. Coming off of surgeries, in a season where the Mets were doing nothing, going no where, with no prospect of doing so in the near future, he gutted out 134 pitches and made history. He got them 'off the hook'. They no longer have to be mentioned every time a pitcher takes a no no into the 7th inning. I was at a buddy's wedding while the game was going on and watched the game live from the 7th inning on with a few friends of mine, on our phones, streaming live, pounding bottles of champagne. I would've let him throw a thousand pitches for that no hitter, and I bet he would've gladly thrown that many if that's what it took. Guy will always be considered an A+ Met in my book. Did something no other pitcher in franchise history was able to.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers