New strategy, rate my team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

New strategy, rate my team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New strategy, rate my team

Postby ldickersonc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:54 pm

Standard ESPN head to head league, standard categories, 10 teams. My usual strategy is to punt on Stolen bases, and shore up the other 4 categories, and to also not touch pitching until round 4 at the earliest. Bad draft position this year, had to change it up. What do you guys think.

C-Montero
1B-Fielder
2B-Aaron Hill
SS-JJ Hardy
3B-Brett Lawrie
1B/3B-Anthony Rizzo
2B/SS-Jed Lowrie
OF-Harper
OF-Cespedes
OF-Ichiro
OF-Norichika Aoki
OF-Markakis
Util-Jonathan Lucroy
P-Verlander
P-Cain
P-J. Zimmermann
P-Shields
P-Dan Haren
P-Brett Andersen
RP-Rafael Soriano
RP-Greg Holland
RP-Ryan Madson
RP-Chris Perez
RP-Casey Janssen
Bench (DL) David Freese

I will keep all the closers active, and rotate the starters daily. I get the sense that I'll have saves, wins, ERA and K's locked down pretty well, but may struggle on RBI's and AVG. should be middle of the pack on SB's. And I do have one open slot while Freese is on the DL.
ldickersonc
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New strategy, rate my team

Postby ldickersonc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:53 pm

no advice at all? i knew it was the perfect team....
ldickersonc
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby aerrico » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:10 pm

I think this team is particularly weak offensively, especially at the CI and MI positions (UTIL is extremely weak as well). The starting rotation is EXTREMELY good, but that's almost never a good thing, especially in a ten team league. There is so much starting pitching available on the waivers throughout the year that it just isn't worth having this many top-end guys to start the year. Also, having that many strong starters means that you must have passed up opportunities to draft offensive talent, which is why it is so weak at the positions that I highlighted. When you get Freese back you will have a decent UTIL player, but having two catchers starting doesn't seem necessary in this league. Also, you didn't specify which Montero you have (if it's Miguel the team is better than if it's Jesus). Lastly, the bullpen looks pretty good, although having another high K reliever or two would be a bit better.

Here's a team that I drafted last night that I'm looking for opinions on:
viewtopic.php?t=457319
aerrico
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby ldickersonc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:57 pm

I was not a fan of the offense on my team either, but drafting 9th made me miss out on the sure things offensively. I always keep two catchers, one will stay on the bench and wait for the others off day, both are ok on average and if i manage them every day should accumulate decent numbers in a weak position past Posey and Martinez. Once I saw the offense off the board, i went pitching heavy, I plan on trading one of them for offense. Two or three of my starters are projected over 200 k's, so K's from a releiver is not urgent, I usually win on saves through shear volume. But yes, i know i need some offense, most of these ESPN public leagues come down to who stays engaged with their teams. Alot of guys set it and forget it for weeks at a time.
ldickersonc
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jefferey13 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:56 pm

I wouldn't have taken Fielder 9th. Don't love that pick.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ldickersonc » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:24 am

wasn't a huge fan of it either, but I like consistant veterans who dont get hurt, Next up was Tulowitzki who could be a huge bust.
ldickersonc
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jefferey13 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:36 pm

I would have taken pujols, stanton, Cargo or Votto.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ldickersonc » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:24 pm

Pujols and CarGo were off the board, I chose fielder over Votto for durability and weaker division pitching-wise, I dont think Stanton is going to be happy and fully productive until he leaves that joke of a ballteam. But it was not an easy decision, trust me.
ldickersonc
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby aerrico » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:50 pm

I definitely don't mind Fielder over Votto as I think he's a bit safer and that's what you're looking for in the first round. That being said, I can't justify having the weaknesses you do offensively (especially Jed Lowrie and Jonathan Lucroy). You could have loaded up on offense after getting Verlander and waited on drafting another pitcher until at least the 6th round. That probably would have solidified your team a bit more than having Matt Cain.
aerrico
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby ldickersonc » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:57 pm

I've always been a fan of locking down categories that i can count on all season, which became tough to do on offense after a couple rounds. Trust me lowrie and lucroy will not last long, I'm very above average at working the wire, and i'm trying to work a trade for miguel Cabrera right now. You are very correct though.
ldickersonc
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team