How did I do? Draft and after post-draft trades - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

How did I do? Draft and after post-draft trades

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How did I do? Draft and after post-draft trades

Postby letsmaybeLP92 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:08 am

This is a 10-team Roto League
Draft (in order of picks):
    Robinson Cano, Justin Upton, Stephen Strasburg, Cliff Lee, Brandon Phillips, Yoenis Cespedes, CC Sabbathia, Johnny Cueto, Jimmy Rollins, Yovanni Gallardo, Mariano Rivera, Joel Hanrahan, Erik Aybar, Carlos Beltran, Paul Konerko, Andre Ethier, Rafael Bentencourt, Jonathan Broxton, Colby Rasmus, Kendrys Morales, Ryan Vogelsong, Michael Young, Edwin Jackson, Carlos Ruiz

Additions: Jesus Montero
Subtractions: Carlos Ruiz

Trades:
Brandon Phillips and Colby Rasmus for Jeff Keppinger and Chris Davis
Justin Upton, Yovanni Gallardo, and Michael Young for Jason Heyward, Grant Balfour, and Alejandro De Aza

What do you think?
Can comment on all or any of the parts?
For the trade regarding Upton, I was also thinking of trading for Holliday or BJ Upton, but would not get De Aza in those trades. Did I make the right choice?

Thanks.
letsmaybeLP92
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How did I do? Draft and after post-draft trades

Postby BigDix33 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks for the comment on my post.

First off I think you went way too pitching heavy in the draft. After you drafted Lee I would have stuck with all offense and picked up some power through the 10-11th round. Power is harder to find than pitching IMO. You did pick up some more power when you traded for Chris Davis so that should help. I'm not a fan of trading J. Upton because I think he's going to go off this year. You could afford to trade away a pitcher there but I think I would have tried to keep Justin. Look for some offense and I think you'll be alright. Your pitching looks great, but don't give up any more stud hitters.

Good luck!
BigDix33
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby aerrico » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:08 pm

Yeah I agree with the above. You went WAY too pitching heavy in this draft. I don't see how this team could possibly compete offensively. Sorry to be so harsh about it, but I just don't see a ton of positives on this team outside of Cano and the starting pitching. I'm also not a fan of the first trade at all as you gave up one of the only things that made your offense decent, which is strong middle infield with Cano and Phillips. The second trade is not AS bad because you at least add some offensive depth in the outfield.
aerrico
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby letsmaybeLP92 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:13 pm

aerrico wrote:Yeah I agree with the above. You went WAY too pitching heavy in this draft. I don't see how this team could possibly compete offensively. Sorry to be so harsh about it, but I just don't see a ton of positives on this team outside of Cano and the starting pitching. I'm also not a fan of the first trade at all as you gave up one of the only things that made your offense decent, which is strong middle infield with Cano and Phillips. The second trade is not AS bad because you at least add some offensive depth in the outfield.

Thanks for your feedback.

I offered a trade for Brett Lawrie. I would give up Vogelsong and Betancourt and also get Minor in exchange. Would that help?
letsmaybeLP92
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby letsmaybeLP92 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:18 pm

This is also my first time playing Fantasy Baseball.

I have been a longtime Fantasy Football Player, and no matter how bad I drafted, I always managed to finish in the top 4 in the league, and make the Fantasy Playoffs. Do you think it would be easier to trade for offense or try to pick up players from the waiver wire?

Edit: Traded for Youk and Axford (lost Vogelsong and Betancourt)
letsmaybeLP92
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby aerrico » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:36 am

The thing with offense is that it usually does not appear on the waiver wire as often as pitching. This is usually why fantasy "experts" will advise players to stack up on offense and worry about pitching later for the most part. You are able to fill guys in throughout the year that pop up, and you can strengthen your rotation that way.

I think that the only way to strengthen this team is to try to trade pitching for offense. That being said, you drafted such elite starters that I think it is somewhat fixable, but you'd have to be willing to part ways with at least one of your top three (I would definitely consider trading two of them) to try to improve the offense. Again, your strengths offensively are definitely the middle infield positions, where Cano and Rollins are solid starters (still not happy that you parted ways with Brandon Phillips as this would have been a very solid middle infield).

I would target a 1B and an outfielder in trades as I think if you're able to land another solid outfielder, you actually have a solid three there also (Upton, Cespedes, and a third). 3B is another weakness, as I just don't think Youk is going to be good enough to start in a 10-team league. He's definitely a nice high-upside guy to have on the bench though, because he could bounce back to nice numbers (I like Morales for the same reasons). So target 1B,3B, and/or OF in trade talks and definitely consider parting ways with two of your three elite starters to get big bats at these positions. At the end of the day, offense is what wins you fantasy baseball leagues. Pitching can be attained through activeness on the waiver wire throughout the year.

Hopefully that helps.

Here's a team I drafted that I'm looking for advice on:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=457319&p=3596675#p3596675
aerrico
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team