Eric Hosmer potential OF eligibility.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Eric Hosmer potential OF eligibility....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Eric Hosmer potential OF eligibility....

Postby Metropolitans » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:22 am

Wed, Mar 27

Eric Hosmer is likely to play right field in Thursday's Cactus League game.

Advice: The Royals play in Philadelphia the first weekend of the season, so Royals manager Ned Yost wants him to get some reps in the outfield. The DH spot won't be available under National League rules, so Billy Butler will play first base. Jeff Francoeur will sit in this scenario, but most fantasy owners won't be disappointed by that.

More: Bob Dutton on Twitter
(Rotoworld.com)

So he'll get a few games hopefully to open the season and then by interleague play, he should only need a couple more, correct? With that said, with Eric Hosmer's skill-set, he could put up Cespedes-type #s. That move to the OF can only help his value, as a 1B with mediocre power, his values dampened but as an OFer with a nice blend of speed & power, his value goes up...

I'm still obviously hoping that Hosmer is the "Post-Hype" Variety, but what does the Café think???
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
BN LMartin,RMartin,Profar
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
BN Turner,Nolasco,Gee,Pineda
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Eric Hosmer potential OF eligibility....

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:25 am

I think having OF,1B adds like a $1 to his value. OF itself doesn't add anything over 1B though because positional scarcity is a flawed concept and OF is just as deep as 1B.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby rookies and cream » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:22 am

Metropolitans wrote:
Wed, Mar 27

Eric Hosmer is likely to play right field in Thursday's Cactus League game.

Advice: The Royals play in Philadelphia the first weekend of the season, so Royals manager Ned Yost wants him to get some reps in the outfield. The DH spot won't be available under National League rules, so Billy Butler will play first base. Jeff Francoeur will sit in this scenario, but most fantasy owners won't be disappointed by that.

More: Bob Dutton on Twitter
(Rotoworld.com)

So he'll get a few games hopefully to open the season and then by interleague play, he should only need a couple more, correct? With that said, with Eric Hosmer's skill-set, he could put up Cespedes-type #s. That move to the OF can only help his value, as a 1B with mediocre power, his values dampened but as an OFer with a nice blend of speed & power, his value goes up...

I'm still obviously hoping that Hosmer is the "Post-Hype" Variety, but what does the Café think???

I'm actually a little worried about this news and will likely bench Hosmer the first week because of it. Philadelphia will be throwing 2 lefties this weekend, including C. Lee and I can actually see the Royals benching him at least once in favor of Francoeur.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby Metropolitans » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:31 am

Both are very valid points!

OF isn't like a Middle Infielders spot or even the hot-corner, its a very deep position so his value doesn't really get affected.

Great point too about the lefties that he might face, im sure they'll give him a crack to start off but if he looks terrible with like an 0-fer, plus multiple K's, he could find the bench in that series.
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
BN LMartin,RMartin,Profar
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
BN Turner,Nolasco,Gee,Pineda
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby jfg » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:17 pm

It depends on the team I suppose. For me, OF eligibility would be huge just because I waited on my 5th OF. Either way, it's always nice to have multiple spots. If you haven't drafted yet though, I don't think for where he's going that more value lies at OF than 1B.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Fade2White12 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:25 pm

I always like having roster flexibility in order to maximize my ABs, especially in a H2H league. Having Hosmer get OF eligibility works helps in achieving this, but it doesn't really increase his value much. Now if they started working him out at SS... :-b
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby hot4tx » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:16 pm

In the 5xOF leagues it makes a huge difference, but even in 3xOF leagues with deep enough benches and daily lineups it helps out a lot considering his L/R splits. Much easier to carry an extra OF to rotate in when Hosmer faces a tough lefty than to carry a 1B. Since you start 3 OFs you have more chances for that backup to get in your lineup when one of your starters is off or has a bad matchup.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:24 pm

Flexibility is always good. The value of Hosmer getting OF eligibility depends on your roster. If your Util is a 1B (which is quite often the case) then Hosmer becoming OF eligible means you now have a backup for all 5 OF spots. But pre-draft, I wouldn't add much value to him at all.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

Postby hot4tx » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:48 pm

I'm moving him up to the spot between Votto and Fielder. :-D
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Metropolitans » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:03 pm

hot4tx wrote:I'm moving him up to the spot between Votto and Fielder. :-D

exactly what I was thinking ;-D
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig