New to Baseball - Any advice is appreciated. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

New to Baseball - Any advice is appreciated.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New to Baseball - Any advice is appreciated.

Postby olram » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:07 pm

Hi everyone,

Haven't followed baseball for a very long time and fairly new to fantasy sports. Currently in a Fantasy Hockey league and am now hooked.

7 Team league, Rotisserie. Looks like we are tracking almost all stat categories. 7 guys who don't know much about baseball, with me probably knowing the least.

Any advice would help. Just curious if there are any positions or stats I can improve on or if there are any players that have no business being on the team.

Also, let me apologize for not giving any input on other rosters. I'm pretty sure any advice I give would be worthless.

Here is my team:

C Joe Mauer
1B Joey Votto
2B Chase Utley
3B Ryan Zimmerman
SS Jimmy Rollins
OF Ben Zobrist
OF Josh Hamilton
OF Mark Trumbo
Util Josh Willingham
Util Norichika Aoki
Util Mike Napoli
Util Carlos Beltran
BN David Ortiz
BN Chris Davis
BN Colby Rasmus
BN Josh Reddick

SP Justin Verlander
SP Yu Darvish
RP Joe Nathan
RP Greg Holland
RP Marco Estrada
RP Grant Balfour
P R.A. Dickey
P Jered Weaver
P Tim Lincecum
P Julio Teheran
BN Ryan Dempster
BN Mat Latos
BN Kyuji Fujikawa
BN J.A. Happ

Thanks.
olram
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New to Baseball - Any advice is appreciated.

Postby luso26 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:40 pm

You've got quite a few hitters that we can pretty much count on to get an injury somewhere down the road during the season - which is gonna be a problem [Utley, Rollins, Hamilton, Mauer, Ortiz, Beltran, Zimmerman]. You probably paid top dollar for Mauer, which is a common rookie mistake. He's not gonna give you the return on investment that you paid. The good is that, your infield has the potential to be a very good unit. Despite the health problems, Votto, Utley [if he can survive], Zimmerman is a nice core. The power is all over the lineup from top to bottom so hitting bombs out of the park every week shouldn't be a problem or an issue all season long. Guys that hit for power are extremely valuable in Fantasy baseball as they contribute to almost all hitting stats. If the unit stays healthy, you should be pretty well off. You've got Napoli already. Try dangling Mauer to one of your league mates for some speed on the base paths. With the exception of Aoki & Rollins [though I don't think Rollins will come close to the bags he swiped last season], you don't really have anyone too dependable for steals. Sure, Zobrist & Utley will chip in here & there. But in a 7 team league, you're gonna wanna have at least 2-3 guys that will be locks to steal 25-40 bases.

Pitching looks good. Yu & Verlander should do a good job of anchoring your staff. Weaver & Timmy though are two guys who's skills seem to be diminishing more & more, particularly Timmy. You should have a chance to dangle Mauer & Timmy in a trade off face value alone in your league. Julio Teheran is a popular breakout candidate pick and I am a believer too, he should have a fine season. I like Estrada to do well as well. You've got quite a few guys that can rack up the K's which will make your rotation fun to watch and follow. As far as your relievers go, I would suggest you be active on the wire. I don't trust Balfour to hang onto that closer gig all season long. Nathan I would be wary of too. Holland is your top reliever and should have a fine season.

Overall not bad, not amazing, but a team that has the potential to do well.
luso26
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 8)

Re: New to Baseball - Any advice is appreciated.

Postby olram » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:40 am

Thanks Luso. Great advice, very helpful.

Can anyone tell me if Juan Pierre is a good pick-up for Stolen Bases?

Also Kyle Lohse is still available. He was ranked pretty high last season, should I pick him up?

If I grab these guys, who should I drop?

Thanks.
olram
T-Ball Trainer

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team