Who will win the NL Central? Reds 47% - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who will win the NL Central? Reds 47%

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who will win the NL Central?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:03 am

Cincinnati
47%
St. Louis
37%
Milwaukee
16%
Pittsburgh
No votes
Cubs
No votes

Total votes : 19

Who will win the NL Central? Reds 47%

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:03 am

Who will win the NL Central?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 261)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who will win the NL Central?

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:14 am

I think the Reds have the most complete team. If the Brewers young pitching all surges I think they can win it. I'm not buying the Cardinals this year but they are the 3rd most likely. Pirates will be in the hunt next year when the young pitching is ready. The Cubs are still a few years away.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby TheRock » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:46 am

My gut reaction is to blurt out "Cards". I think they'll be in it, but they're not the team they once were. If everyone stays healthy they have a good shot, but they already have injuries piling up. The Reds will be tough this year. Votto and bunch of old ladies would give them above average offensive firepower, and Cueto/Latos/Bailey give them a strong enough rotation to compete. For some reason I like the Brew crew to win it this year. They have what could be a great rotation (it could also suck), the bullpen has great potential, and they should have plenty of offense from Braun, ARam and crew.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:55 am

Cards!!!
Reds will be tough and the Cardinals need to stay healthy but they have plently of depth to survive the injuries. People seem to be overrating the Brewers SP/chances IMO.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:11 pm

People seem to be overrating the Brewers SP/chances IMO

You meant underrating I believe? Most people have left the team for dead. I almost always hear Reds+Cardinals and then the Brewers thrown in as an afterthought.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:20 pm

Ender wrote:
People seem to be overrating the Brewers SP/chances IMO

You meant underrating I believe? Most people have left the team for dead. I almost always hear Reds+Cardinals and then the Brewers thrown in as an afterthought.

I don't think they are as good as the Reds are Cards. The SP, bench and bullpen are really my biggest concerns. If they stay healthy and the back end SP emerge like some people think they could be in business. I'd rather be them than the Pirates who seem like a solid team with little upside. The Brewers have upside I'm just not a believer.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:23 pm

That seems to be where most people have them and it is all valid. I like the SP more than most and I have a lot less faith in the Cardinals than most. I still think the Reds are the easy choice though even they could struggle if any SP get hurt because they really have no depth. The Brewer forum I visit has them at 83ish wins and Fangraphs just spit out 82 wins post Lohse and those all seem reasonable as well. Few of the young guys produce at a higher than expected level and they are fighting for a playoff spot which is about how I view them.

Also Lucroy is an absolute beast of a pitch framer and that park inflates K% which really plays into the teams strength. I think they will lead baseball in Ks again this year and if you do that some decent results usually follow.
Last edited by Ender on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:33 pm

Another vote for Cincinnati.

On a side note, every year I come into the season not impressed with St. Louis and every year they are in the playoffs. I think it comes down to another St. Louis/Atlanta battle for a wild card spot this year.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:57 pm

Ender wrote:That seems to be where most people have them and it is all valid. I like the SP more than most and I have a lot less faith in the Cardinals than most. I still think the Reds are the easy choice though even they could struggle if any SP get hurt because they really have no depth. The Brewer forum I visit has them at 83ish wins and Fangraphs just spit out 82 wins post Lohse and those all seem reasonable as well. Few of the young guys produce at a higher than expected level and they are fighting for a playoff spot which is about how I view them.

The Reds have Cingrani who I think is ready to step in if there is an injury but I don't think the Reds SP is as strong as most people think. Latos is good. Cueto is smoke and mirrors ace, not a bad pitcher but no where as good as last year. Leake and Bailey are OK back end starters. Arroyo is a disaster waiting to happen.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:46 pm

1. Reds - most complete team
2. Brewers - Lohse helps but staff still full of ? marks. Would help if Gallardo finally morphed into a staff ace.
3. Cardinals - overachievers who will be hampered by the injury bug (at least that's what my voodoo expert promised)
4. Pirates - good season would be to finish .500
5. Cubs - gonna be a lot of drinking in Wrigley this summer
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers