Best minor leaguer next year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best minor leaguer next year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best minor leaguer next year?

Postby Rally Cat » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:19 am

We are draft Saturday. We are having one round of minor league picks. If I take somebody this year thats not expected to come up I can protect him next year and not count against my keepers. I thinking of selecting somebody that could be next years top player. I would prefer a hitter unless there is another Strausberg out there.
I have a couple of names . Who do you think will be the top minor leaguers. Somebody you would select this year and keep knowing you can't take another player .

Profar SS Texas
C. Yelich OF Miami
Javer Baez SS Cubs
Bogaerts SS Boston
Jose Fernendez Pitcher
Rally Cat
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best minor leaguer next year?

Postby Y`s Guy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:07 am

I would think Profar, Fernandez and Yelich will make the 2014 opening day rosters.

I would look at Bubba Starling for starters but this is off the top of my head. And Miguel Sano.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:25 am

The question is confusing but I think Yelich and Profar will get AB this year so not sure the fit your criteria as guys who will not count towards your keepers. If you just want the highest upside guy I'd probably go for Profar for 2014 though there are plenty of minor leagues I'd rather have like Taveras.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:01 pm

Good chance that Xander Bogaerts sits a top the prospects list next season.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Fade2White12 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:21 pm

Yeah, the OP is confusing. What determines whether you have to use a keeper slot or not - whether the player is ever promoted, or whether they lose their prospect status (130IP/50AB), or something else?

Obviously you should take the elite prospects, even if they are likely to get enough PT to make them count against your keepers (assuming you have more than just a few keeper slots). Players like Profar, Taveras, Myers, etc., have enough professional ABs and scouting reports behind them that more than likely guarantee their success at the next level. I'd be more likely to spend a pick on one of these heralded prospects who may lose eligibility than attempting to determine who may be the #1 prospect for the following season.

But with that being said, in response to your question - considering most of the above guys losing eligibility this season, my top 5 hitter predictions for next year would be 1. Bogaerts 2. Baez 3. Buxton 4. Sano 5. Russel (6. Dahl).

With pitchers, Jose Fernandez may be the #1 pitching prospect this time next year on many lists, but he has yet to develop plus secondary pitches to accompany his plus-plus fastball. My preference would be 1. Cole 2. Walker 3. Taillon 4. Fernandez 5. Giolito (dark horse).
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby bayside » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:56 pm

Bogaerts
Russel
Walker
Fernandez

these guys are all going to be near or at the top of all prospect listss next year.
Its possible Bogaerts and Walker even see MLB action in September this year
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:50 pm

Look at Bundy. The O's have a ton of pitchers, so it's unlikely that he gets to the majors. He definitely starts in the minors, and there's a decent chance he stays there.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Rally Cat » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:12 pm

I didn't want to make the post too long . Sorry for the confusion. If a player come sup to the majors during the season for more than 2 weeks ( excluding Sept call up ) he has to be activated as a major leaguer . We could either keep him or drop somebody from our roster. We don't have a reserve squad. I hope that clears things up .
I also prefer hitters over pitchers.
Rally Cat
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Return to Baseball Leftovers