Who will win the AL East? - Blue Jays 55% - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who will win the AL East? - Blue Jays 55%

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who will win the AL east?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:14 pm

NY Yankees
2%
Baltimore
7%
Tampa Bay
30%
Toronto
55%
Boston
7%

Total votes : 44

Re: Who will win the AL East?

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:53 pm

1. Jays - can't believe it, but I'm feeling Mookie's team this season (helps that the competition is slated for an off year)
2. Rays - Longo needs to stay healthy this season but even then, 2nd is best they can hope for
3. Orioles - love the offense but too many ?'s regarding pitching
4. Red Sox - team that I feel could surprise the most but it'll take rebound years by a # of players
5. Yankees - so many Yanks on the DL to start the year and it'll only get worse as the old men struggle to get into the swing of things
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mweir145 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:57 pm

The Jays have the best team on paper this season. There's little reason to pick anybody else.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:22 pm

Ender wrote:Morrow is erratic as heck and his skills did not support that ERA at all last year, in fact he pitched more like a 4 ERA guy and that was an improvement over his previous years which were more like a 4.50, he is also coming off an injury.

Better to have a good ERA without the skills than to have the skills without the ERA as he did for so long. Morrow altered what he did on the mound to create more contact and it led to more GBs and better performance with runners on (which was holding him back completely before). I'll take a repeat of that year over what he was before for sure.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby jlm53089 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:10 pm

I would love to see the Yankees finish in the cellar.

I voted for the Rays of course, I think Toronto is the real threat but I could still see Boston and Baltimore being contenders.
This year is gonna be intense, I cannot remember the last time the AL East had all 5 teams as possible contenders to win it.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby k.k. » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:39 pm

jlm53089 wrote:I would love to see the Yankees finish in the cellar.

Amen brother! ;-D
Another nasty ugly season for Boston would warm my heart too.

Called me biased (Blue Jays fan), but I think Toronto wins the AL East this year with Tampa close behind and getting one of the Wild Card spots. I know it's all on paper right now, but it's hard to ignore what Toronto did in the off-season.
~
k.k.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:30 am

mweir145 wrote:
Ender wrote:Morrow is erratic as heck and his skills did not support that ERA at all last year, in fact he pitched more like a 4 ERA guy and that was an improvement over his previous years which were more like a 4.50, he is also coming off an injury.

Better to have a good ERA without the skills than to have the skills without the ERA as he did for so long. Morrow altered what he did on the mound to create more contact and it led to more GBs and better performance with runners on (which was holding him back completely before). I'll take a repeat of that year over what he was before for sure.

Yeah I agree. I don't quite know how to judge what he did in 2012 so I've mostly been avoiding him since he goes a bit early from being a 'sleeper'. Will the Ks come back, will the control go away. Even in that good year he was still prone to disaster starts which I don't really want from a starter. I just don't know what to expect from him. I certainly do not expect a sub 3 ERA though.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:41 am

Izenhart wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Seriously guys? I had to be the first to vote for the O's? Okay, I'm a bit biased. But still, they have a real chance.

I think the O's finish 2nd but they could challenge for 1st. I knew this would be a landslide poll so I gave them a sympathy vote. :-D

Woooot! Thanks! Awesome seeing the Yankees in last in this poll. The O's pitching obviously isn't great, but it's also not as bad as people think. Hammel is back from injury, Chen probably won't wear down much this year, and Arietta has been great in the offseason. Tillman and Gonzo are both questions, but Tillman was actually really good by the end of the year last year. On top of that, we have a great bullpen, so we can get bailed out of a copule tough situations.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:09 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Seriously guys? I had to be the first to vote for the O's? Okay, I'm a bit biased. But still, they have a real chance.

Who will win the AL East? - Blue Jays 55%

No way, Rays baby!

Blue Jays will get 85 wins and trade Josh Johnson, Mark Buerhle, Jose Reyes and Bonifacio to the Yankees for Tyler Austin and Dellin Betances
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers