BN - AJ Griffin
BN - Huston Street
lenziemckenzie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Opinions on my team?

Postby DutchySox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:56 pm

I like the team, but without draft round it's harder to analyze. Just going on the players:

I don't think Montero should be a starting catcher in a 10 team league yet (close, but there are others that may have gone undrafted). Your infield is great, I like Choo in the OF (Zobrist is mediocre there - better suited at MI), Holiday I'm worried about. Butler is a good UTIL and Brown I kinda like too. Look like a solid offense, which does lack steals. Choo and Zobrist are your only steals guys, and they're not burners by any means. You may want to look into that.

You starting pitching is tremendous. Cain, Latos, Zimmermann, Moore and Minor is a superb 1 - 5, and you add Miller, Marcum, Estrada and Griffin to that. Lot of value for low cost, I'm assuming. Romo and Street are solid options. I don't like to go with too many RPs either, so you got two good ones.

Got any thoughts on mine? viewtopic.php?t=457121 or viewtopic.php?t=457114
DutchySox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby Irish Drunk » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:18 pm

Unlike Dutchy I think Jesus is worthy of a top 10 catcher. 30 HR's a distinct possibility.

I think you need more hitting depth. Phillips may regress. Having Cabrera, Tulo and A Gonz in your infield is sick.
I love the SP, wow. Romo is as good as they come at RP and Street is a solid 2nd RP.

This team should compete for 1st, barring injuries of course.
Irish Drunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 152)

Postby ks501 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:26 pm

Montero is starter worthy. It's a gamble, but a worthy one. I hate Safeco and I'm afraid of it, but Montero is definitely a C you can live with. If Phillips has a tough year, plug in Zobrist and find an OFer it will be easier. You can probably deal pitching for hitting. Great job on the team overall, that infield is ridiculous. Miggy and Tulo? Good luck everybody else.
ks501
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TrippySG » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:39 pm

One thing people don't consider too much....SD moved the fences in and to quote Matt Berry "its like they changed the fences just to play to Monteros strengths." That being said, I would rather have a Lucroy backup just in case he doesnt turn out to play up to his potential. In a league with that few teams and bench spots, there has to be someone that was overlooked like Lucroy or Perez. I love the make-up of that offense, and the versatility of Zobrist makes the infield only that much stronger.

The only problem I have with your pitching is that you have Shelby Miller as a RP, hes the 5th SP named to the roster. I would like Miller a whole lot more in a keeper league, but I think as a late round flier hes absolutely worth a shot for the strikeouts alone. Street wont get through the full season, he barely ever has, so have a backup ready.

Help on mine? viewtopic.php?t=456974
TrippySG
College Coach
College Coach

Postby luso26 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:43 pm

You can pencil your team in as a contender. Great job.

To nit pick. The OF is the only concern. It's a relatively boring OF. Matt Holiday we can pretty much pencil in ourselves on what his stat line will look at near the end of the season. A very nice consistent but not a sexy player that everyone wants. 80-100 runs, 25-30 bombs, 85-100 rbis is the norm for Holiday. My only concern is the news that just broke out that he might be dealing with an early injury.

Ben Zobrist is a nice but again boring player to own. He does all the little things good and his real value comes from his position availability. If your league counts walks though he's a real nice player to own. 15-20 steals along with 15-20 bombs, I think we can expect from him.

Personally, I am not a fan of Choo. But there's a lot to like with him in Cincy in that lineup. So he should be a nice player to bank on this year. However, he too seems a little banged up right now but nothing major.

Pitching looks solid, hitting looks solid, you should be in for a nice season.
luso26
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby lenziemckenzie » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:11 pm

Thanks for checking out my team guys. Just to clarify: it's a points league with 1B, 2B, 3B, BB, CS, HP, HR, KO, R, RBI, SB scoring for hitters and BBI, ER, HA, HB, INN, K, L, QS, S, W scoring for pitchers. IP actually are a little bit unbalanced in this type of league, so it's really ideal if you have a pitcher that is RP elligble who is actually starting, scoring lots with the IP (hence using Miller as a RP).

I quite like Ben Zobrist because his walks will score and I've got a few injury prone players and he's make it so easy to move things around on a roster - I've never had a season without an injured player (has anyone!) so he's a very useful player to have. I agree that my OF is probably the weak spot, once the season gets underway I'll need to address it, but I guess with drafting it's always going to be hard to have a phenomenal player at every position.

And yes, I had first pick - picked Miggy - but then at the 20th pick Tulo was still available (perhaps fear of injury) so obviously I had to pull the trigger!

Anyways, thanks for checking out my team, I'll have a look at all of your teams as well...
lenziemckenzie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ks501 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:38 pm

TrippySG wrote:One thing people don't consider too much....SD moved the fences in and to quote Matt Berry "its like they changed the fences just to play to Monteros strengths." That being said, I would rather have a Lucroy backup just in case he doesnt turn out to play up to his potential. In a league with that few teams and bench spots, there has to be someone that was overlooked like Lucroy or Perez. I love the make-up of that offense, and the versatility of Zobrist makes the infield only that much stronger.

Not to be an ass, but Montero doesn't play for SD
ks501
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TrippySG » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:11 am

ks501 wrote:
TrippySG wrote:One thing people don't consider too much....SD moved the fences in and to quote Matt Berry "its like they changed the fences just to play to Monteros strengths." That being said, I would rather have a Lucroy backup just in case he doesnt turn out to play up to his potential. In a league with that few teams and bench spots, there has to be someone that was overlooked like Lucroy or Perez. I love the make-up of that offense, and the versatility of Zobrist makes the infield only that much stronger.

Not to be an ass, but Montero doesn't play for SD

Yeah sorry about that, I meant Seattle, since both teams moved their fences in I must have gotten them mixed up.
TrippySG
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ks501 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:16 am

huh, i thought it was just the padres. smart idea. heres hoping i don't regret drafting the heck out of wilhelmsen this year
ks501
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team