Worried about my pitching. WHIR! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Worried about my pitching. WHIR!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Worried about my pitching. WHIR!

Postby aqr135 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:30 pm

I kept getting screwed out of pitching, which I was targeting, and I ended up with this.
I'm not very happy with my team, especially because of my starting pitching, but I hope you'll convince me otherwise.
I drafted 10th out of 12. Round in which player was drafted in (parentheses).
WHIR WHIR

12 team ESPN H2H Points mixed league

C: A.J. Pierzynski (20)
1B: Allen Craig (19 - keeper)
2B: Rickie Weeks (12)
3B: Adrian Beltre (1)
SS: Starlin Castro (3)
OF: Justin Upton (2)
OF: Torii Hunter (9)
OF: Andre Ethier (10)
UTIL: Nick Swisher (14)
BN: Kevin Youkilis (21)
BN: Alfonso Soriano (22)

SP: Max Scherzer (4)
SP: Brandon Morrow (7)
SP: Lance Lynn (8)
SP: Wade Miley (11)
SP: Marco Estrada (15)
SP: Tommy Milone (16)
SP: James McDonald (17)
SP: Tommy Hanson (18)
RP: Raphael Soriano (5)
RP: Fernando Rodney (6)
RP: Jim Johnson (13 - keeper)
RP: David Hernandez (24)
RP/SP: Andrew Cashner (23)
aqr135
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Worried about my pitching. WHIR!

Postby DutchySox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:48 pm

I don't think your pitching is that bad. It's not great, but it's also not as terrible as you think it may be. What does seem to be pretty bad, is the value these players went for. Some of them went WAY too early, compared to my 12 team keeper league draft (5 keepers per team).

Quick analysis of your pitching
    - Scherzer: solid, high K, high W potential. Fourth round value. Good pick.
    - Morrow: I'm worried, but if he returns to his 2011 ways he's gonna be good. 7th round seems fine.
    - Lynn: I really like him (though again: 8th round is very early -- I got him in in the 13th round)
    - Miley: Fine pickup. Shouldn't hurt you, but went in the 18th round of my pitching starved keeper draft).
    - Estrada: Love him. Got him in the 14th round myself.
    - McDonald: Went undrafted in our league. Still like him somewhat.
    - Milone: 21st round for me. Okay starter.
    - Hanson: Undrafted for my league. I'm worried.
Your relievers are near-studly, and I really like Cashner in round 23.

So basically, your pitching is not as bad as you thought. They just did not come with the right value.

The same goes for your offense: AJ went undrafted (and I don't believe in him this year), Craig is great keeper value for you, Weeks is great value, Beltre went a round too early (but you can make a case for him in the first due to position scarcity), Castro is early to my taste (but similar to where he went in my league), Upton I like a lot, Hunter is a humongous overpay (21st round for my draft), Ethier is too early (though not by much), Swisher should be solid, Youk I really don't like this year, and Soriano I don't either.

My two cents. Not a bad team at all, but could have been stronger if most the players would've been drafted closer to their value. I understand it's difficult to gauge in a keeper league, but still..

If you want to blow holes in my teams: viewtopic.php?t=457121 and viewtopic.php?t=457114.
DutchySox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ATLbraves » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:19 pm

DutchySox wrote:I don't think your pitching is that bad. It's not great, but it's also not as terrible as you think it may be. What does seem to be pretty bad, is the value these players went for. Some of them went WAY too early, compared to my 12 team keeper league draft (5 keepers per team).

Quick analysis of your pitching
    - Scherzer: solid, high K, high W potential. Fourth round value. Good pick.
    - Morrow: I'm worried, but if he returns to his 2011 ways he's gonna be good. 7th round seems fine.
    - Lynn: I really like him (though again: 8th round is very early -- I got him in in the 13th round)
    - Miley: Fine pickup. Shouldn't hurt you, but went in the 18th round of my pitching starved keeper draft).
    - Estrada: Love him. Got him in the 14th round myself.
    - McDonald: Went undrafted in our league. Still like him somewhat.
    - Milone: 21st round for me. Okay starter.
    - Hanson: Undrafted for my league. I'm worried.
Your relievers are near-studly, and I really like Cashner in round 23.

So basically, your pitching is not as bad as you thought. They just did not come with the right value.

Completely agree. Luckily you can find pitching every year off the FA/WW so just try to pay attention and you'll feel your holes that way. If Miley, Estrada, and/or McDonald could put together a solid season and maybe even one of them break out then your pitching will look a lot better.

help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=457139

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ks501 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:20 pm

Scherzer in the fourth I think is a bad use of a fourth round pick. I'm not sure one big strike out season justifies a fourth round selection when you can really only guarantee that he'll help in one category. If you're going to spend that high a pick on a pitcher (not my style) I think you have to get somebody else. You probably could have got Yu Darvish a couple rounds later, waited on Morrow and Lynn and wound up with a similar group plus a fourth round hitter. Keeping Craig mitigates the reach a little, but man, if Scherzer is closer to 2011's rate stats, even if he finally sees over 200 innings and racks a ton of K's, you could be wishing you went in another direction.
ks501
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ATLbraves » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:47 pm

ks501 wrote:Scherzer in the fourth I think is a bad use of a fourth round pick. I'm not sure one big strike out season justifies a fourth round selection when you can really only guarantee that he'll help in one category. If you're going to spend that high a pick on a pitcher (not my style) I think you have to get somebody else. You probably could have got Yu Darvish a couple rounds later, waited on Morrow and Lynn and wound up with a similar group plus a fourth round hitter. Keeping Craig mitigates the reach a little, but man, if Scherzer is closer to 2011's rate stats, even if he finally sees over 200 innings and racks a ton of K's, you could be wishing you went in another direction.

You're right, that is very high to take Scherzer. It really depends on how many keepers there were though. If each team had an option to keep up to 5 keepers and 10 of the 12 teams did happen to keep 5 then thats 50 players taken out of the draft on top of however many the other two teams kept. Then the Scherzer pick would make a lot more sense.

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team