Yup, I have a second team too... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Yup, I have a second team too...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yup, I have a second team too...

Postby DutchySox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:07 am

Not to clog up the thread list, but after my 12 team Keeper League I had a 10-team H2H (5x5, with OPS and WHIP) draft.

This is what happened for me. What do you guys think? And yes, I will most definitely return this favor if you have a team to rate!

* (x, y) = round, pick

C - Salvador Perez (15, 8)
1B - Albert Pujols (1, 8)
2B - Rickie Weeks (12, 3)
3B - Adrian Beltre (2, 3)
SS - Ian Desmond (6, 3)
OF - Justin Upton (3, 8)
OF - Jason Heyward (4, 3)
OF - Desmond Jennings (8, 3)
UTIL - Michael Bourn (9, 8)

BN - Nelson Cruz (10, 3)
BN - Michael Morse (21, 8)
BN - Mike Moustakas (16, 3)
BN - Josh Rutledge (19, 8)

SP - Yu Darvish (5, 8)
SP - Gio Gonzalez (7, 8)
SP - Anibal Sanchez (13, 8)
SP - Lance Lynn (17, 8)
RP - Joe Nathan (11, 8)
RP - Kenley Jansen (14, 3)
RP - Ernesto Frieri (18, 3)
P - Julio Teheran (22. 3) - actually picked him up, and dropped Morneau who I had drafted in the 22, 3 spot.
P - Shelby Miller (20, 3)

What say you, fellow peanut gallerians? Good? Bad? Unbalanced? Good value based on the draft round? (I'm looking at you, Justin Upton, MIchael Morse, Lance Lynn, Rickie Weeks).
DutchySox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yup, I have a second team too...

Postby sledge4 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:48 am

I'd keep your options open and keep looking for more consistency from 2B. Weeks has a good month (relatively speaking) and everyone runs to WW to grab him, then he has a horrible month and everybody drops him.

Morse is a steal in my opinion. He's tearing it up in the spring after having a strong 2nd half last season.

It looks on paper like you will have a strong showing with Stolen Bases, maybe package some speed and a starting pitcher for a 2B.
sledge4
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby ks501 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:12 pm

Man, getting Justin Upton in the third round is nice. I know you're not a fan, but if Lowrie is out on the WW with 2B eligibility, you might want to think about grabbing him before somebody else does. Would provide some good Weeks insurance. Love the offense. Love Salvador Perez, great value there. People taking Joe Mauer will probably get 10-15% more production - especially in the runs department - but probably drafted him 10 rounds higher. Great pick up. Honestly, if Rickie Weeks is your weakest link, you've done well.

I'm basically down on all your SP options though. I don't agree you should be looking to move an SP for offensive help. I think Yu Darvish is very overrated and I'm not seeing him as being much different from most Japanese pitching imports with high BB/9 that will take him out of games early and a stubbornness against attacking the zone. His K/9 is impressive, he gets a lot of swings and misses, but he's a nibbler in a hitters park and I'm interested to see how he looks out of the gate this year. I like Gio enough, but I don't think he's good value this season where he's going. I generally stay away from WBC pitchers whenever possible too, but he could have another big year. Lance Lynn and Anibal Sanchez are OK but not great options, they're probably not going help much but won't burn your ratios either. Teheren could have a big half-season but he doesn't have a lot of innings on his arm, so expecting a full season from him probably isn't realistic. He might blow up in the first half and be valuable trade bait. Same with Shelby Miller, he's nasty but only threw about 150 innings last season. He won't see much more than 180 this year, and he'll probably lose a little off his stuff as the season gets late. Pitching is always a fixable issue though, your boy Doubront might be out there. Clay Buchholz owners are going to dump him after a couple bad starts. You'll be smart to buy low on somebody like that.
ks501
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DutchySox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:06 pm

Appreciate the lengthy response! I'm getting more and more excited about my offense.

As far as my SP goes: I'm actually REALLY high on Darvish this year, so I'm going to disagree on him a little bit. Gio was top 15 last year, so I'm not worried for him either (he only pitched 1 game in the WBC). I do agree that Lynn and Sanchez are 'meh' options, but they were better than whatever was left. A great start by Teheran or Miller all but make them the no. 1 and 2 trade targets on my board, so agreed there as well.
DutchySox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby ks501 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:30 pm

It's not the amount of games pitched in the WBC that matters. Its the accelerated offseason prep that goes into getting ready to be at full tilt a full month earlier than normal. As for Darvish, it really depends when you got him in your draft. I'd take him if he fell to me in the 7th or so. He walked almost 11% of the batters he faced last year though. Good luck seeing ERA regression down to his FIP if he keeps issuing free passes in that park like that.
ks501
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby lenziemckenzie » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:03 pm

This team looks really strong in my eyes. Out of your hitting the one player I'm not that into is Weeks, he's really inconsistant - which is very frustrating in H2H plus he's been injury prone. I would try to trade another option. You could try and use one of your bench players there. I'm of the philosophy to focus as much as possible, on SP depth, so you can use 2 start pitchers to your advantage. Although you have some excellent later round players on your bench, fact of the matter is that they probably won't be playing much will they - as you have better options already starting! So, if you're feeling particularly confident about one of the bench players, you could use one of your current OF starters + Weeks to upgrade at 2B. And could try to trade one or two of the others to get more pitching depth. Someone like Cruz... I'm not a big fan of his... He's injury prone and the PED issue might come into play later in the season...

Hope that helps a bit... Good luck.
lenziemckenzie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team