Overloaded with batters. What to do? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Overloaded with batters. What to do?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Overloaded with batters. What to do?

Postby JJ-UK » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:29 am

First, I wasn't sure if this was the best forum for this question. Sorry if not, the moderators are welcome to move it if they think that's best.

I'm in a Yahoo head-to-head league but was unable to attend the draft (I was cooking lasagna!) so ended up overloaded with with hitters. I usually only want one 'spare' hitter for my bench but lots of pitchers - mostly starters but with one or two extra RPs (the pitcher slots are SP, SP, RP, RP, P and P).

I'm kind of happy with the first choice hitters that were picked for me, but I'm not exactly wedded to them and many of the benched hitters are pretty good, so, the question is, which of the extra hitters do I keep and which to get rid of for whatever SPs are left on the Free Agents list? I should add, I've had no interest with the benched hitters as trade bait, which makes these decisions really hard because many of the benched look too good to just drop!

HITTERS
C - Miguel Montero
1B - Anthony Rizzo
2B - Rickie Weeks
3B - Pablo Sandoval
SS - Asdrubal Cabrera
CF - Shane Victorino
OF - Carlos Gonzalez
OF - Nick Markakis
Util - Paul Konerko
Bench 3B - Will Middlebrooks
Bench SS - Derek Jeter
Bench C - Brian McCann
Bench CF - Coco Crisp
Bench SS - Alcides Escobar

PITCHERS
SP Justin Verlander
SP Felix Hernandez
RP Greg Holland
RP Jason Grilli
P Cliff Lee
P Jered Weaver

In that Free Agent Market are the following Pitchers (Top 10 by % owned across Yahoo leagues):
STARTERS
Trevor Cahill
Kyle Lohse
Ryan Dempster
Phil Hughes
Clay Buchholz
Edwin Jackson
Shaun Marcum
Jaime Garcia
Tommy Hanson
Wei-Yin Chen

RELIEVERS (Top 11 here because number 10 is Jose Valverde!)
Carlos Marmol
Alexi Ogando
Bruce Rondon
Hisashi Iwakuma
Jose Veras
Shelby Miller
Sergio Santos
Drew Storen
Ross Detwiler
José Valverde
Santiago Casilla

All help gratefully received.
JJ-UK Beginner
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Overloaded with batters. What to do?

Postby luso26 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:36 am

The pitching staff you have at the moment looks much better than your batters. Way better actually.

Firstly, get rid of McCann, Jeter, Coco and Esobar. Backup Catcher is useless and unnecessary. Which batters are available? Brandon Belt? Lorenzo Cain? You're gonna need some help. Especially in the power department. I would definitely look to trade Lee or Weaver, preferably Weaver for another power bat.

Look to improve your batting, or else you're going to be in trouble. As far as to strengthen your pitching even moreso, pick up Lohse and Garcia ASAP. Look to see if a guy like Chris Tillman is available too which I'm sure he is. Lohse pitches in not the ideal ball park, but in a division where he should do well. Garcia is gonna rack up the wins in St Louis and has looked pretty good in spring training, looks to be over his injury concerns.

Alexi Ogando is not a bad guy to pick up neither.
luso26
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby DutchySox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 am

First off, several of the RPs you list are in fact SPs (Miller and Iwakuma) in real life. That makes them intriguing to get already.

But: in my opinion, you go get Cahill and ditch Jeter and/or Escobar (you don't need two backup shortstops), and see if you can find room for Shelby Miller if you feel you need more SP. Brian McCann: droppable or tradeable. You don't need two catchers. For RPs, I'd look into that Japanese guy on the Cubs (he'll get the job sooner than we all think) or Rondon (reluctantly, and only if he's the closer for the Tigers). In short: drop Jeter, Escobar, McCann, look into Cahill, Miller, Cubs-guy.

I also like Marcum, Chen, or Garcia, and if you want to snag-and-trade Lohse, I'm all for that too. Good luck.
DutchySox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby JJ-UK » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:13 pm

Thanks, guys.
JJ-UK Beginner
T-Ball Trainer

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team