Lay it on me... gently - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Lay it on me... gently

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lay it on me... gently

Postby DutchySox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:01 am

Hi guys, new to the forum (not a rookie fantasy player though) and I'm dying to get some input on my team. It's my understanding that returning the favor is the way to go, so by all means leave a link to your team and I will take a look at it for you!

So, I have this 12 team keeper league (head to head, 5x5 with avg, obp and k/bb, whip, era). Just drafted two days ago, and I'm on the fence whether or not I came out as well as I thought I would. I picked 8th and we didn't snake (instead starting over at 1 after each round. So I basically picked 8th in every round). I missed out on a LOT of my pre-draft targets, usually within one pick or even the same round, so I had to adjust a lot and on the fly.

C - Wilin Rosario (12th round, keeper)
1B - Joey Votto (1st round)
2B - Josh Rutledge (15th round)
3B - Ryan Zimmerman (3rd round, keeper)
SS - Ian Desmond (11th round, keeper)
OF - Alex Rios (10th round, keeper)
OF - Jason Heyward (4th round, keeper)
OF - Shin-Soo Choo (5th round)
UTIL - Josh Reddick (17th round - currently discussing a trade, Reddick for Pagan)

BN - Dexter Fowler (16th round)
BN - Matt Carpenter (19th round)
BN - Domonic Brown (20th round)
BN - Wil Myers (21st round)

SP - Felix Hernandez (2nd round - highest ranked pitcher not kept)
SP - Jake Peavy (6th round - one of the few high ranked pitchers left at that point)
SP - Josh Johnson (7th round)
SP - Lance Lynn (13th round)
SP - Marco Estrada (14th round)
SP - Julio Teheran (18th round)
SP - Jaime Garcia (22nd round)

RP - Joe Nathan (8th round)
RP - Mariano Rivera (9th round)
RP - David Phelps (23rd round - already put in a waiver claim to replace him with either Lohse or Doubront, since Phelps didn't make the rotation)

I feel like I'm a little pitcher heavy, but the waiver wire right now is just not very enticing for hitters (though I really want to find a spot for Tyler Colvin and/or Dayan Viciedo). That problem might be solved soon, as we're debating adding a N/A spot (which would go to Myers), giving me room for one of them.

What do you guys think? Too low on power? I went with 'multi-tool' guys like Rios, Heyward and Choo, hoping to do well across the board (I stunk it up in AVG and OBP last year and finished 6th). Decent sleeper picks? Too big of a gamble at 2B?

Thanks, and remember: I will return the favor!
Last edited by DutchySox on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
DutchySox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Lay it on me... gently

Postby thesticks23 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:22 am

I like your team, Your offense seems well balanced, and your pitching I believe has promise. I really like Estrada going in this year, I have a good feeling about him & Josh Johnson. Johnson does not have to shoulder the burden of being the #1 guy anymore and has been lights out this spring. If anything and if this is a daily league, instead of having so many hitters on your bench you might want pitchers for more starts, this will net you more K's per week and a chance at more wins also. Most position players have off on Mondays and Thursdays during the week but the ability to change your pitchers is more helpful then to get maybe 4 more AB's per week by a sub off your bench. All in All this is a good team, and if I were to change anything it would be Bench pitchers > bench batters.

Good luck and take a look at mine when you get a chance.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=457111
thesticks23
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 10)

Postby majawi85 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:26 am

I like it, very well-balanced. It looks like you could use another closer though, so I'd put that near the top of your priority list. Also, IMO you should pull the trigger on that Pagan for Reddick trade as it looks like it would give you a necessary boost in speed.

Can you take a look at mine? viewtopic.php?t=457049
majawi85
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby DutchySox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:31 am

majawi85 wrote:I like it, very well-balanced. It looks like you could use another closer though, so I'd put that near the top of your priority list. Also, IMO you should pull the trigger on that Pagan for Reddick trade as it looks like it would give you a necessary boost in speed.

Oh yeah, I'd love to get Pagan; I was the one who initiated the talks (I don't like Reddick anyway. He sorta just fell my way). I'm iffy on closers; they get injured too often for me to really chase them. I'm hoping the wire will be of assistance when that is the case.
DutchySox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby KrazyA428 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:56 am

I think that your offense looks really good for a 12 teamer, good balance of speed and power. I really like Rosario this year, and I actually think Fowler could be useful off of your bench.

I don't love Peavy this year - the potential is definitely there for another strong campaign but his health is always a concern. I'd look to add one more solid/healthy arm if you can (and those can be found throughout the season on FA usually). Other than that I think you're looking pretty good. 'Preciate the help on mine.
KrazyA428
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby sledge4 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:41 am

I think D. Brown will have a "coming out" year (hard to say as a Mets fan) and Carpenter looks like he is getting the 2B job, so if he's not eligible at 2B in your league, he should be quickly. He may be an upgrade over Rutledge.

Votto is a question mark to me... he was having big year then got hurt and was supposedly mostly healthy late in season yet he only managed 9 RBI's in 2nd half which killed me when I had him last year, so I stayed away from him on my team this year thinking something may not be righ.

However, if Votto gets back to form, Choo should have a big year between runs and stolen bases. The rest of your OF is solid.

I'd look to add another closer, maybe at the expense of a starting pitcher and outfielder via trade.
sledge4
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby ATLbraves » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:12 pm

Really like your team. You should def make the playoffs. If you need more speed the Reddick for Pagan deal would definitely help you feel that need. I actually think your offense is fine and you could need more pitching help. You are going to need 3 closers to compete in saves every week in a 12 team H2H IMO, so you should be watching the FA/WW for another closer or work on a trade to get one.

Thanks for the help with mine.

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DutchySox » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:18 pm

Thanks so far, everyone. This is fun, reading everybody's thoughts on players.

For the record: the Reddick-for-Pagan trade mentioned in the first post has been accepted (as it should've been -- other guy needed power more than steals). Since I didn't like Reddick to begin with and only drafted him because he was more valuable than the alternatives, I feel very happy. Oh, and I'm a hopeless Pagan-fan.
DutchySox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby shoelessjoetara » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:09 pm

Very well balanced Love Rutledge. I think he turns a lot of heads this year. Pitching is awesome. Should do very well in your league. Just hoping Votto can stay healthy.

viewtopic.php?t=457255
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby capitalh » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:55 am

Thanks for the thoughts on my team.

Your team looks really solid, in my opinion. No snaking draft? That is unfortunate for all those managers later in the draft order... Does your league make up for it by locking you in with better waiver priority or something?

Rutledge in the 15th round is a pretty good value pick. In my draft, I was thinking of grabbing him in the 13th round, ended up deciding it was too early, and wound up really disappointed when he was taken before I had a chance to in the 14th. If I am being really picky, I think 5th round may have been 1 too early on Shin-Soo, but I realize his value in producing runs must be going way up with the move to Cincy.

I really can't even find anything to be picky about with your SP, it looks very good. Peavy, JJ at rounds 6 and 7 do seem early but it sounds like there was a rush on higher-tier starters, so I get it. Nathan and Rivera are a great closer duo.
capitalh
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team