Which NA prospect should I stash? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Which NA prospect should I stash? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby sinicalypse » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:22 am

Hey guys, in my 13-team standard 5x5 6-keeper yahoo roto league we've just decided to go ahead with yahoo's new thing where you can have a NA slot to stash a prospect who has entered yahoo's system by v. irtue of having some looks in spring training. This obviously opens the door for your Wil Myers and Oscar Taveras types, but also provides a place for some deeper sleeperish prospects who have cracked the system. That said, with our league's post-draft waivers set to expire on the 27th i'm willing to risk jake mcgee for a little bit (as he won't be closing til next year at the latest) and try to get someone decent to stash, so imma tossd out some names here and i want you to tell me who you think would be worth stashing. the trick is that with only 6 keepers going now (we could possibly up it, but even tho i commish the league i wanna run it by everyone) so with that said, it's not quite like my ~15 keeper league where you can definitely stash a bunch of guys and have room for them to develop over time, like i did with trout/strasburg/bumgarner/kimbrel in 2011)

SP - dylan bundy (bal - got 1.2 IP of a looksee in sept last year, but is headed down to AA cuz last year was his first year of pro ball, some say he's the best pitching prospect in baseball but on the same team some say he isn't the rookie who could unseat tillman/arrieta for spot #5 cuz....)

SP - kevin gausman (bal - jonny gomes thinks he's night and day better than bundy right now, but like i said arrieta/tillman prolly have the #5 spot but still tempting))

SP - gerrit cole (pit - again guess where i'm looking positionwise)

C - travis d'arnaud (nym - going down for now but with john buck there if the kid rakes guess who can be back?)

OF - jorge soler (chc - prolly ~1-2 years off, but he's their big prospect guy. that and javier baez isn't listed in the system)

SP - travis bauer (cle - sent down after giving up like ~13 runs in II IP, and since his original team gave up on him and traded him off wholesale it makes you wonder if his insistance on those goofy atypical pregame/warmup rituals are going to be a problem since a) he got shelled when he got called up and b) some say that they tire him out during a game, leading to a) and c) he's a punk who don't listen to no-one due to b) leading to a)

from here, like i said myers and taveras and now puig are already owned without the position, so now that the position is there the people who have them will undoubtedly sit on them and thus they'll be much harder to get. so i spose the trick is identifying people who could come up and contribute this year, at least enough to warrant keeping next year as i figure we'll prolly go up to at least 7 keepers trying to designate a slot for the NA player we've added this year.... so do you have any other ideas on who to sit on for the short-to-long-term? if i didn't answer your ?? be sure to drop a link to yours here. merci beaucoup!
Last edited by sinicalypse on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which NA prospect should I stash? WHIR

Postby smoovethug » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:50 am

With a keep 6 I think you have to go with who will help you the most THIS season. That would have to be Eaton, even with him spending the first month or so on the DL.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby sinicalypse » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:02 am

EDIT: adam eaton was drafted in my league so that isn't an option at the moment. nevermind that and technically this blabbering

you know, there's a chance i could make this move NA one of the guys listed then have the slot open and grab eaton and put him on the DL and then i can get another waiver guy like aaron hicks or something. i very well might end up doing that, cuz don't forget once i drop mcgee for one of these NA guys and put them in the NA slot i have another open, so if eaton is there i can have my cake and eat it too. i tentatively have dylan bundy listed as my #1 waiver claim guy cuz i'm a fan of those #1 pitching prospect types (in my superdeep 30-man-roster 20-team 16-keeper 15x15 h2h league i sat on strasburg for a whole year and last year traded rizzo for matt moore, who showed me something down the stretch... if he gets down below 3.50 with those K rates, we've all seen what he did in the minors)

but yeah thanks for the suggestion it's duly noted.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby MadDog36 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:33 am

I think I'd stash Dylan Bundy away and maybe if that creates a free spot on your roster I'd add Travis to your bench.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1879)

Postby RJSim » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:51 am

I'd go with Bundy. He is probably the closest to the majors right now and seems to be a pretty legit prospect. I was going to say Baez but you said he isn't in the system.
RJSim
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby twistedude » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:10 am

I concur with the previous replies, Dylan Bundy is the best stash of that bunch. His callup is close and his upside is huge. Plus, the wins could be there on a much improved Orioles club. Bundy!

Here's mine, thanks for your help: viewtopic.php?t=457110
twistedude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 37)

Postby ggs » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:46 pm

bundy as well.
ggs
Major League Manager