Just Finished Long 20 Team Draft: What Do You Think?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Just Finished Long 20 Team Draft: What Do You Think??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Just Finished Long 20 Team Draft: What Do You Think??

Postby mm92280 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:18 am

I just finished a long (nearly 2 hours) 20 team draft in my H2H keeper league. It would have been longer but the first 5 rounds is basically the computer selecting our designated keepers (which we had already pre-set, of course). Anyway, I am pretty happy with my team, particularly when considering the size of the league and the potential holes that can come in such a large league. To give you a little more info, for positional players we count AVG, R, HR, RBI, SB, OPS and AST (yes, a defensive stat). For pitchers we count W, K, ERA, WHIP, CG, SV, and HLD. My keepers were Gincarlo Stanton, Hanley Ramirez, Adam Wainwright, Carlos Santana and Anthony Rizzo. Fairly solid building blocks, outside of dealing with Hanley's injury.

So, here is how my team turned out:

C: C. Santana (C, 1B)
2B: R. Weeks (2B)
SS: H. Ramirez (SS, 3B)
3B: W. Middlebrooks (3B)
LF: I. Suzuki (LF, RF)
CF: S. Victorino (CF, LF)
RF: G. Stanton (RF)
Util: I. Davis (1B)
Util: L. Cain (CF)
Bn: L. Martin (CF)
Bn: A. Gonzalez (SS)

SP: A. Wainwright
SP: B. Anderson
SP: M. Harvey
SP: M. Minor
SP: F. Dubront
SP: AJ Griffin
SP: A. Cashner

RP: B. Parnell
RP: M. Boggs
RP: M. Melancon

Favorite picks: Lorenzo Cain at #250 - I've had him as a post-hype sleeper for awhile. He usually goes between 200-225 but he slid to 250 here and I grabbed him quickly. Mitchell Boggs at #370. It was clear the other owners had totally forgotten about him, as he was WAY down the boards still. I know Motte's injury may turn out to be nothing serious but the phrase "slight tear" was used to describe it. Best-case I have a very cheap closer. Worst-case I have a setup man who should still be able to give me holds. That is a low-cost gamble at that spot. In general, I held off on RP and wasn't able to get premier guys but I'm rolling the dice with the guys I have. Parnell should be okay and Boggs and Melancon are tossups on what their roles will end up being. I didn't want to pay for closers and help to that strategy. I also got Alex Gonzalez at #391. No, I didn't go into the draft thinking of drafting him but I need someone to keep SS warm until Hanley Ramirez comes back and I refused to go along with the SS run that happened between picks 150-220. I wasn't going to use a middle round pick on someone that was likely to just have value to me for 2 months. So, I tried not to panic and stuck to my strategy. Gonzalez isn't a great option but he does have some power and I'm hoping he keepers me afloat for the next 8 weeks or so. He certainly didn't cost me much and I didn't have to alter my strategy and reach for a shortstop 200 picks earlier.

At the same time, I also held (for the most part) on starting pitchers and I still think I came out fine, as I got good young arms in Harvey, Minor, Dubront, Griffin and Cashner and I don't think I reached for any of them.

Least favorite picks: I grabbed Victorino at #130 reluctantly, as I had Carlos Gomez all ready to go and he was picked by the owner just before me. So, I reluctantly grabbed Victorino and will cross my fingers that he has a productive year in Boston. I already had some power guys at that point in the draft (Stanton, Rizzo, Davis, Santana) and needed to balance out with some speed. I would think he has 30 steals in him and quality overall stats, though he's a batting average risk. I also grabbed Ichiro at #210. I am crossing my fingers that he stays healthy and produces a decent line with 10 or so homers (seems doable in Yankee Stadium), 30 steals and decent R and AVG totals. I was still in need of steals at this point (I had Stanton, Rizzo, Davis, Santana, Middlebrooks, Weeks by this point) and also needed someone who might help offset the low averages (Weeks, Santana, Victorino) with someone who could hit in the .280 - .300 neighborhood. Not a great pick but he could be decent if everything goes just right.

Overall, I am pleased. I held to my strategy and got bats early and sprinked in SP as I needed it. Its a 20 teamer and this could always turn out poorly if guys get hurt or my young guys don't produce but I like the looks of it on paper.
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Just Finished Long 20 Team Draft: What Do You Think??

Postby sinicalypse » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:46 am

i think you're in the wrong forum, bud, as this is more suited for the analyze/rate my team forum.... otherwise, looks like a solid go. ideally ii'd try to have one proper steals-only/first guy as i share your trepidations w/victorino, but with 20 teams i think you did pretty well.... your pitching isn't top heavy but i liek the young depth with matt harvey, mike minor, and aj griffin. those guys could be a viable threesome on a typical 12 team league team, so to have them in a 20 team league team is a good go. i'm not a wainwright guy and not really a brett anderson guy, but hey if you believe in those two and they both stay healthy and pitch like top of the line starters than you did a good job, provided you don't finish dead last in steals and you have that count against you.

but then again it's H2H so i reckon you're OK with potentially mediocre pitching (as most people don't prioritize top of the line pitching like i do) and steals are only one category/potential-win-per-week. so you should be fine.

take a look @ my question, will ye?! viewtopic.php?t=457100
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Re: Just Finished Long 20 Team Draft: What Do You Think??

Postby MadDog36 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:36 am

I'd dump Melancon for something else who has upside. There's a guy can't remember his name for the Royals...from Domincan I think..I'd look and see if he's available decent RP with a higher Krate. Any cheap speed available? I guess you can get that when Hanley comes back and you can dump Agoz.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1920)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions