My last minute, late round sleepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

My last minute, late round sleepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: My last minute, late round sleepers

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:26 am

Ender wrote:Carter and Bonifacio are drafted in every league I'm in, not really his definition of sleepers. They are really late guys but they are being drafted in most leagues.

I feel like I see Bonifacio in every discussion on sleepers. Enough people have him as a "sleeper" at this point, that he's almost overvalued. He's just becoming too much of a trendy pick for my taste.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:26 am

Timgeorge2 wrote:SS - Eduardo Nunez: I like the speed and I believe there is some pop in that bat. He should get some PT with all the injuries in the Yankee lineup.

Dude is too much of a butcher in the field to play every day, even with half the Yankee lineup on the DL. Maybe he can find fantasy relevance if he can get a few starts a week in the field and some time at DH or something, but I can't see them letting his glove be out there every day.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MashinSpuds » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:47 am

Izenhart wrote:Will Venable (390 ADP) has what looks like a starting gig locked up for the first time in his career heading into opening day. He profiles to just another 10 HR, 30 SB outfielder with low average and low counting stats playing in SD, but I think he could push 20-40. If he does I'll take the .250 AVG that comes with it.

I do like Will Venable a lot just for that 10/30 hope, but he will actually be on the good side of the platoon with Chris Denorfia. Great list and sleeper definition, Izenhart.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Pochucker » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:41 pm

I second the vote for Jordany Valdespin. In my league he qualifies at 2B. I can see 20/20 potential.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby swyck » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:23 pm

Nice list and nice analysis. I'm keeping an eye on a few of these.

I like Moreland as a sleeper, and I'm surprised he's dropping that far. IMO he has a lot of value if you platoon players.
I also like Chris Carter. Just a lot of potential there for a lot of bombs this year. Yeah, Adam Dunn, maybe, but Dunn offered great value for years despite a weak avg.

Another name I'd add, though it may be marginal for this list is Brandon Moss (243 ADP). Minor breakout last year but it doesn't seem as if anyone's noticed.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Element » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:43 pm

Andrelton Simmons - He's been drafted in most of my league so far, but did go undrafted in an auction over the weekend.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby OBPlover » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:46 pm

Well if Chris Carter or Boni are too common, I'd say Simmons and Moss are too.

Ok some real, deep bottom of the barrel scraping...

SP - Carlos Villanueva. Yeah that Carlos Villaneuva. Decent Ratios last year. Decent K/p and K/BB. between Garza and Baker..well the Cubs rotation will have it's injuries. He pitched reasonably well in Toronto with an ERA in the low 4's. BUT the RC was one of the worst parks for a right handed starting pitcher. In 2011, the RC was the second best hitter's park in baseball (behind Coors only) for left handed hitters to which CV saw a lot of. Wrigley's lingering rep as a hitter's park is undeserved. It hasn't been that good, especially for HR hitting which is CV's weakness. Sneaky value here.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 118)

Postby J35J » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:53 pm

OBPlover wrote:Well if Chris Carter or Boni are too common, I'd say Simmons and Moss are too.

Ok some real, deep bottom of the barrel scraping...

SP - Carlos Villanueva. Yeah that Carlos Villaneuva. Decent Ratios last year. Decent K/p and K/BB. between Garza and Baker..well the Cubs rotation will have it's injuries. He pitched reasonably well in Toronto with an ERA in the low 4's. BUT the RC was one of the worst parks for a right handed starting pitcher. In 2011, the RC was the second best hitter's park in baseball (behind Coors only) for left handed hitters to which CV saw a lot of. Wrigley's lingering rep as a hitter's park is undeserved. It hasn't been that good, especially for HR hitting which is CV's weakness. Sneaky value here.

I like Villanueva too, seems I always pick him up for at least a few spot starts the last couple years.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Maris09 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:34 pm

Really like the Moss call. Guy hit 21 HR in only 265 at bats with an average that won't kill you. I know they may let him face more lefties this year and that average could go down, but love that power upside and dual eligibility for a late pick.

I'll add a catcher sleeper that isn't getting too much hype. Jason Castro (Hou).
And a pitcher, Jose Quintana. Nice K upside.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby reiser » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:05 pm

swyck wrote: Minor breakout last year but it doesn't seem as if anyone's noticed.

Speaking of minor breakouts, MDP shows Michael Saunders going right next to Ruggiano (270 & 275), which seems about right. Saunders hit .247/.306/.432 with 19 home runs, 57 RBI and 21 stolen bases in 139 games last year. Similarly Bourjos is showing a 326 MDP!

Given the 3rdbase-pocalypse going on right now, Lonnie Chisenhall at 369 might be worth doing. Sickels had him as his top Indians prospect in 2011, and in 151 PA last year he hit .268/.311/.430 with 5 Homers. He certainly has more upside than Izturis and Plouffe, who are going ahead of him. Bill James has him hitting .262/18/75. Not a bad handcuff if you draft Hanley or Headley.
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers