Drop Dunn for Rutledge? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Drop Dunn for Rutledge?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Drop Dunn for Rutledge?

Postby RJSim » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:47 pm

I'm looking at ironing out my bench/utility/subbing. Right now, I'm lacking a sub for my SS and/or 2B if there is an off day or if they need to miss a few games. I'm looking to drop Adam Dunn and picking up Josh Rutledge. He already has SS eligibility and should pick up 2B eligibility really quickly. Other options could be Andrelton Simmons, Kyle Seager or Alexei Ramirez. I like the duel eligibility of Rutledge compared to the others though. What do you think? League information below.

10 Team Non-Keeper Mixed League
Head to Head: Most Categories
Bidding Free Agency - $99 of $100 Left

Roster
Batting................................Pitching
(C) - Salvador Perez.............(SP) - Clayton Kershaw
(1B) - Anthony Rizzo...........(SP) - Madison Bumgarner
(2B) - Dustin Pedroia...........(SP) - Jordan Zimmermann
(3B) - Mike Moustakas.........(SP) - Matt Moore
(SS) - Starlin Castro.............(SP) - Jeff Samardzija
(LF) - Matt Holliday..............(SP) - Mike Minor
(CF) - Bryce Harper..............(RP) - Kenley Jansen
(RF) - Nelson Cruz...............(RP) - Tyler Clippard
(DH) - Adrian Beltre.............(RP) - Sean Doolittle
(UTIL) - Todd Frazier...........(RP) - Koji Uehara
(BEN) - Michael Morse..........(BEN) - OPEN
(BEN) - Adam Dunn..............(DL) - Brandon Beachy

Categories
Batting................................Pitching
Runs Scored (R)....................Earned Run Average (ERA)
Runs Batted In (RBI)..............Walks plus Hits Per Innings Pitched (WHIP)
Stolen Bases (SB)...................Wins (W)
Slugging Pct (SLG).................Innings Pitched (IP)
On Base Pct (OBP).................Batting Average Against (BAA)
Strikeouts (K)........................Strikeouts per 9 Innings (K/9)
Extra Base Hits (XBH)............Saves Plus Holds (SVHD)
RJSim
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Drop Dunn for Rutledge?

Postby smoovethug » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:18 pm

I'd rather keep Dunn's 40 hr power potential.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby ayebatter » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:20 am

I like Rutledge, 40 homer power from Dunn is enticing but from the look of your roster the 40 games you play him in won't produce 40 home runs.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby mm92280 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:37 am

ayebatter wrote:I like Rutledge, 40 homer power from Dunn is enticing but from the look of your roster the 40 games you play him in won't produce 40 home runs.

I tend to agree. Another thing to keep in mind is that this guy's league has some different scoring categories - HR isn't even in the list but slugging, OBP and XBH are on the list. Looking at it from that perspective, Dunn was 50th in slugging, 76th in OBP and who knows what in XBH (I'm assuming HR get lumped in here; if so, Dunn had 60 XBH) last season. The other thing to keep in mind is that strikeouts for hitters is a category and Dunn led the league with a whopping 222 strikeouts (Granderson was 2nd with 195). That is a lot of negatives to overcome. Based on the the unique scoring, I think that really limits Dunn's appeal.
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sinicalypse » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:41 am

what? are you crazy? dude don't do that.... i understand, but if rutledge gets off to any sort of a hot start he'll be gone but adam dunn still has those 41hrs from last year sitting in his yahoo-default-team-view thingy and therefore he has trade value. in one league i managed to trade dunn + jordna zimmerman for joey votto and jeremy hellickson. if votto stays on the field and especially if hellickson takes another step and improves his K rate that's a highway robbery, as i tossed the trade out as a conversation starter (figuring the guy would want trumbo or somehing) but it worked, and now i've got votto at first and migcab at third with billy butler as a utility player.... and i'm sitting on both david price and cole hamels. that's some proper top-heavyness.

definitely don't cut dunn for nothing, i mean, if you like rutledge that much and fear losing him you can prolly drop todd frazier or michael morse and then trade dunn plus someone else for a better player and use the open slot to get the guy you dropped back. i mean you're gonna drop adam dunn and keep tyler clippard and sean doolittle? wtf? i see that holds count in your league so there's some value to that, but there will be people who will move up into setup-man situaitons who you can jump on as oppsosed to having to break camp with all of your holds guys in place.

long story short, like rutledge all you want, but dont just give away a properly tradeable commodity like adam dunn to do it. i know his ~.200ish BA even during a good year is scary, but you know what's scarier? what if he pulls another .240-.250 season out of his arse and hits his annual 40/90 and he's ranked in the top 100 and josh rutledge gets caught up with in terms of teams having the book on him and he has a sophomore slump that doesn't keep up with his pace of last year? you'll feel like a stooge if that happens... especially when there are owners right now who came out of the draft going "ruh oh i dont have as many mashers as i should have" and then as if an angel from above you come knock-knocking on their door with the solution to what ails them: the 30+ HR bat of one adam dunn. i know that .208 BA hurts, but ~80 runs 40HRs and 90RBIs show that he's got value to people, so do your due diligence with him and see what you can get. if josh rutledge is available right now there's a reason he's available, and a perfunctory glance @ adam dunn.... well i guess rutledge IS 75% owned, and he's available in one of my leagues.... but dunn is ~85% owned for a reaosn. he has value, and if you're sour on him then get SOMETHING for him better than you can get from the FA pool as rutledge is going out there because of position scarcity and you're sitting on pedroia @ 2nd.... so dont outthink yourself... drop a setup man for him right now nad attentively watch the games the first week of spring and see what bullpen guys are getting holds that people didnt know about. seriously setup men are WAY easier to get than adam dunn type bats, even with the .208 thing duly noted.

take a look @ mine, would ye?!!! viewtopic.php?t=457100
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby MadDog36 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:38 am

You have a free spto just use it on Josh.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1937)

Postby RJSim » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:49 am

I appreciate all your comments!

Does the unique format of replacing HR with XBH play a role in this? I used FantasyPros.com to look at their average projections for my categories and got these.
Player Name...........R......RBI...SB....K........OBP........SLG........XBH
Adam Dunn............73....81....1.....195.....0.334.....0.441.....50
Josh Rutledge.........70....64....14....107.....0.321.....0.458.....57

Thats why I was using position flexibility as a tie breaker because they seem pretty comparable. I do have a roster spot open but was hoping to pick up another SP. Right now, I have a FA bid on Lohse that I'm waiting to process. Thanks again for all your comments... Keep 'em coming! And if you want help in return, post me your link and I'll throw my 2 cents in.
RJSim
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RJSim » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:08 pm

sinicalypse wrote:definitely don't cut dunn for nothing, i mean, if you like rutledge that much and fear losing him you can prolly drop todd frazier or michael morse and then trade dunn plus someone else for a better player and use the open slot to get the guy you dropped back. i mean you're gonna drop adam dunn and keep tyler clippard and sean doolittle? wtf? i see that holds count in your league so there's some value to that, but there will be people who will move up into setup-man situaitons who you can jump on as oppsosed to having to break camp with all of your holds guys in place.

So you suggest trading Dunn away from another piece? Looking at my roster, which position would you target?
RJSim
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby LittleTree » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:27 pm

I agree with the guy about trading Dunn instead of just cutting him. I might look at your RP's. There's no telling what someone might take for Dunn until you ask, so start by aiming high. Chapman (I doubt it but you never know). What about someone like Cashner, Putz, etc.?

I hope this helps.

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=457184
LittleTree
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 26)

Postby RJSim » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:36 pm

LittleTree wrote:I agree with the guy about trading Dunn instead of just cutting him. I might look at your RP's. There's no telling what someone might take for Dunn until you ask, so start by aiming high. Chapman (I doubt it but you never know). What about someone like Cashner, Putz, etc.?

Maybe I'm looking at Adam Dunn all wrong. I picked him up in the last round as a filler because I had to draft a DH (Beltre eligible but was put in the 3B spot). Didn't seem like too many people wanted him in my league. I'll put some feelers out on him. If I don't get Lohse tonight on the waiver auction, I'll pick Rutledge up in my open spot for now and see what SP I can get later.
RJSim
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions