A.L. Only Keepers Due Wednesday. Advice? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

A.L. Only Keepers Due Wednesday. Advice?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A.L. Only Keepers Due Wednesday. Advice?

Postby Garvey6 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:02 pm

12 Team 5x5 Auction league. It's my 2nd season in this 25+ year league and I should've had more keepers to show for my last place finish last year. Here's who I have to decide on within 48 hours:

C: Arencibia $15 - Probably keeping him. Salatalamachia is projected for nearly identical stats and his owner is keeping him for $15 also.
OF: Ellsbury $30 - Strongly considering letting him go, especially now that he's already injured. He went for $26 in our AL/NL auction, so $30 is probably what he'll sell for in AL Only.
OF: David Murphy $11 - no brainer.
OF: Hicks $0. Farm player turned starting leadoff guy. No brainer.
P: Scott Diamond $8 - good free agent pickup last season. Is he worth the extra $5?
P: Janssen $8 - Was debating this one until he struck out the side on 10 pitches today. No brainer.
P: Millone $11 - Could be big. Keeping him.
P: Niemann $13 - We probably won't find out if he made the rotation before Wednesday. Do I take the chance?
P: Hultzen - $5 - Like an idiot, I put him in my lineup last season in order to pickup Bruxton. Now if I keep him, he's going to cost me $5 instead of the free spot on my farm roster. I'm debating this one. What would you do?
P: Doolittle - $8 - This is a little tougher than you might think. Yes he's only a setup guy's setup guy but he's trade fodder and has top closer stuff. I think I'm letting him go with a plan on getting him back for $3-$5.

Thanks for any input you provide. Some of these are tough decisions.
Garvey6
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A.L. Only Keepers Due Wednesday. Advice?

Postby MashinSpuds » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:58 am

How many keepers do you get to keep? Are the prices based on a $260 budget?

Not a huge fan of many of those guys and their prices even in an AL-only. Hicks, Murphy and Ellsbury are no brainers, as I wouldn't care so much about Ellsbury's ST injury as I would he is the only guy with any real credit to build your team off of. You could always trade him to a team to get some valuable guys back in return.

If you have more than three keepers to choose from, I would stick with some of the really cheap upside guys that you believe in. Most of those guys are gambles to hang onto, so hang onto your favorites without spending too much money.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Re: A.L. Only Keepers Due Wednesday. Advice?

Postby Garvey6 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:11 pm

Thanks for the input. We can keep as many as we want under our $260 budget.

As of right now, I'm keeping:

Ellsbury: CBS' next best OF'r is Bourn.
JP: Only Napoli and Avila are rated better (non keepers) and we need to start two.
Murphy: Andy Dirks is being kept for more than $11
Milone
Hultzen
Janssen

There are still a couple of teams who haven't declared their keepers so maybe a couple of better options than Ells would be available, but knowing how much guys go for in this league (Weaver 35, Buckholz 21, Cano 42, etc) , there's some value in each of these prospected keepers by comparison.

Diamond and Niemann are on the outside of the bubble looking in.

I traded Broxton, Sabathia, Kuroda, Andrus, Butler and Fielder before the deadline last season. Somehow I only got 4 of these guys in return which is depressing.
Garvey6
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions