Rate my 12 Team H2H League draft.--link your team, i'll rate - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Rate my 12 Team H2H League draft.--link your team, i'll rate

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate my 12 Team H2H League draft.--link your team, i'll rate

Postby ks501 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:35 pm

Drafted this team last night in my 20 dollar H2H league.

Scoring: R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS :: K, QS, W, SV, ERA, WHIP

C - Matt Wieters
1B - Paul Konerko
2B - Dustin Pedroia
3B - Miguel Cabrera
SS - Jose Reyes
OF - Allen Craig
OF - Alex Rios
OF - Nelson Cruz
UTIL - Ben Revere/Alfonso Soriano
BN - Revere/Soriano
BN - Cuddyer

SP - Matt Moore
SP - Roy Halladay
SP - Brandon Morrow
P - Tim Hudson
P - AJ Burnett
P - Julio Teheren
P - Justin Masterson
RP - Tom WIlhelmson
RP - Brandon League
BN - Andrew Bailey (think there's about a snowballs chance Hanrahan holds the closer Job for more than a month)

Probably going to sit Masterson early and see if Teheran can take advantage of most of the league not having seen him early. Hopefully Masterson straightens out, but I think there'll be something to be found on the wire if I am short a SP at any point. I'll post my deeper roto league team tomorrow that I drafted today.
ks501
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate my 12 Team H2H League draft.--link your team, i'll

Postby ks501 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:31 am

bump
ks501
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thesticks23 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:15 am

ks501 wrote:Drafted this team last night in my 20 dollar H2H league.

Scoring: R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS :: K, QS, W, SV, ERA, WHIP

C - Matt Wieters
1B - Paul Konerko
2B - Dustin Pedroia
3B - Miguel Cabrera
SS - Jose Reyes
OF - Allen Craig
OF - Alex Rios
OF - Nelson Cruz
UTIL - Ben Revere/Alfonso Soriano
BN - Revere/Soriano
BN - Cuddyer

SP - Matt Moore
SP - Roy Halladay
SP - Brandon Morrow
P - Tim Hudson
P - AJ Burnett
P - Julio Teheren
P - Justin Masterson
RP - Tom WIlhelmson
RP - Brandon League
BN - Andrew Bailey (think there's about a snowballs chance Hanrahan holds the closer Job for more than a month)

Probably going to sit Masterson early and see if Teheran can take advantage of most of the league not having seen him early. Hopefully Masterson straightens out, but I think there'll be something to be found on the wire if I am short a SP at any point. I'll post my deeper roto league team tomorrow that I drafted today.

Offensively I like your team, you have some very strong Bats in that lineup. Your SB is low unless you keep revere in at all times to go with Reyes & Pedroia but in H2H i usually punt that category since it is very unreliable. Now your pitching might need a little help, here is a trick I like in leagues that add QS's. QS's diminishes the Value of Closers because now SP gets you additional stats. SP gets you More K's first off & then gets you W's, Qs's ERA & Whip, Closers add to ERA Whip and Saves. so now a SP contributes to 5 cat's vs a closer who contributes to 3. I like to grab Pitchers that have the RP ability that start. For instance Marco Estrada, A. Ogando and so on and so forth. That can help push you over the edge in pitching.

Let me know what you think about my team and any strats that you like to use.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=457111
thesticks23
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 10)

Postby DutchySox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:18 am

Just off the bat, I think you could be golden... or in trouble. The upside on offense for Wieters, Rios and Cruz in tremendous... but will they prove it/repeat it? Wieters has burned me the past two seasons, Rios is on and off (though I'm a believer), and Cruz is always injured (though I'll admit, I picked him up in a 10-team H2H because he fell way down the board). Konerko is old and yeah.. I don't know. Love him, don't get me wrong (White Sox fan), but you need a better backup plan than Craig or Cuddyer if he falters.

You're fine in the infield (Pedroia, Cabrera and Reyes should keep you going), but I think your bench is thin. I think there are better alternatives than Soriano on the waiver wire (Michael Saunders?), but I like your addition of Revere.

Your starting pitching is more of the same: could be great, could be bad. Moore, Halladay, Burnett and Morrow are having horrendous springs, and I'm personally only excited about Moore in that list. Teheran: different story. Fantastic spring, and I'm a believer. Great pick. Masterson is not very good. I'd rather have a guy like Doubront off the waiver wire (if he's still out there): great spring, great outlook (k-wise). Your RPs look fine though; set and forget (though I am high on Kenley in LA).

Bottom line: if this team makes the playoffs, you got great years out of most your players. If several don't reach high level performances, it's gonna be tough sledding. Waivers and trades will then be your friend.

Now, hoping I haven't said anything silly, could you take a peak at my team? Thanks man!
DutchySox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby ks501 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:59 am

Thanks guys. People are always down on my pitching at the beginning of every season. I'm taking a risk on Morrow for sure, but he's healthy at the moment and I watched a lot of him last year. I like power arms that learn to pitch to contact and he looked good to me last year. Paying attention to pitching returns in spring I think is usually a waste of time, especially with a guy like Halladay who's fastball is diminishing and his game is becoming more and more predicated on control. I have big faith in a Halladay rebound, especially when I can bet on it in the 11th round. The Red Sox are pitching the lights out this spring, I wouldn't bet on many of their starters to keep going with that trend into the regular season. I certainly wouldn't bet on Doubront over Morrow, even though Doubront is one of two Sox starters I think is worth anything. I definitely want to upgrade on Masterson, but Marco Estrada is long gone, I don't necessarily think JM is as bad as he was last season. He can be really valuable in the QS and ERA department if he's right. If he's slow out of the gate, finding a replacement will be first priority but every year there's a Bartolo Colon 2011 or a Michael Pineda 2011 type surprise rookie. Or an RA dickey, lol.

I'm betting on a .280-.300 30 85 season out of Allen Craig. I love him and he's a big part of what I'm trying to do this year. .515 SLG in almost 800 career AB's. Confident in Craig. If Konerko has a bad year I'll be in the market for either an OFer or a 1B, whatever is readily available because Craig can be put at either spot. He's going to have a better year than Konerko and having a healthy producing Konerko would be nice, but I'll find a way to replace a 13th round pick up probably. I'll look for Saunders and see, Wil Meyers too might be on the wire still, maybe he gets a look. Jed Lowrie is available, I might drop Bailey for him.
ks501
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ks501 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:12 am

So I just added Detwiler for Masterson and I'm going to look and see if I can add Lowrie for Bailey. Finding an SP with RP eligibility will be tough, but I think that would only benefit me in weeks where I had a bunch of two-start guys going on the same day. I'll always find ways to get all my starts in.
ks501
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DutchySox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:18 am

I already like Detwiler better than Masterson, so you're better off there. You could try Doubront for Bailey, if you're looking for RP eligible starters (I believe he has dual eligibility, no?). I'm not big on Lowrie, but he'll do.
DutchySox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby ks501 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:30 am

Well, I mean, nobody on the wire is too lovable at this time of year, but the A's are committed to players with good approach at the plate and Lowrie is that. If he can ever get himself 450 AB's he's probably a 20 HR candidate with 2B/SS eligibility. He won't kill my average too too much and he always has decent OPS. Not too interested in Doubront, honestly. If he proves me wrong, great, I'm a Red Sox fan, but I like staying away from young pitchers without over-powering fastballs in that division. If they traded him to the NL West, I'd be on that all day.
ks501
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby lenziemckenzie » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:17 pm

Ok, here's what I make of the team. The hitting looks very decent indeed. What I'd do though is this: dump / trade your bench players for SP sleepers. There's a lot of potential upside out there this season. As as I've mentioned in a few other threads just now. H2H, in my opinion, is all about SP depth. Why have Cuddyer Revere / Soriano waste bench spots when they could be helping you rotate 2 start pitchers. Someone else mentioned that Konerko isn't getting any younger so that's a concern. Obviously you have Craig as a back-up and personally I'd have him slotted at 1B. What you could do is look for another 1B on the waiver wire. That position is really deep this year. Have Konerko as your UTIL and dump Soriano, Revere and Cuddyer... (or am I being to harsh on those players?).

SP I quite like. Morrow was looking fantastic last year except he was injured quite a bit. Not that keen on Halladay. He wasn't himself last season and spring hasn't made me very confident in him turning it around. So, bottom line for me: dump / trade bench players for more SP...

Hope that helps! Good luck..
lenziemckenzie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ks501 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:44 pm

Yeah, I'm not going to worry about replacing Konerko before the season. If he gives me cause to, I think I have the depth to handle it, and will keep an eye out for productive players on the wire and am definitely willing to add a producing player before a problem arises and creates the need. Have no qualms cutting a reliever loose to add a hitter just in case. But, that said, I'm not going to go fixing problems that aren't problems. Konerko is coming off three years of ~.300 BA 26+ HR's and good RBI production. Not sure why he's drawing so much negative attention and I'm probably not going to push him out of my line up in favor of Cuddyer or Soriano until I have to.

What I might look into is trading Soriano for a SP like Clay Buchholz but I'm not too interested to see what's on the waiver wire outside of Detwiler. Halladay has value to me as a veteran with great control because QS is important in this league. I don't need a complete return to form from him and I find it hard to believe a pitcher of his caliber is just going to be cooked after one bad season after many great ones in a HOF career. I think I'll compete in every offensive category and many times I might get ahead in ERA, WHIP and then only start guys in match ups that I love for the rest of the week. AJ @ SD, AJ vs. NYM, Matt Moore vs. CLE, yada yada. If I get a big return to form from Halladay or Morrow takes the next step I'm hoping for, that's just gravy. I would like to add a Buchholz with my bench depth if possible.
ks501
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team