keeper league free agentsss...help! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

keeper league free agentsss...help!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

keeper league free agentsss...help!

Postby yeayea77 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:45 pm

Starting a keeper league this year and me and other managers can't settle on a rule regarding free agents pickups you want to keep for next season.

My suggestion is that any free agent you want to keep is your 5th round pick next season. In our league last year, there were plenty of big names who qualified...Trout, Encarnacion, Harper.. so each manager could keep their respected free agent player in 5th round, rewarding the manager with the best free agent pickup. Makes you decide whether or not that free agent you picked up is worth losing your 5th round pick.

another managers idea was that you get to keep the player at the round the player is currently being drafted at plus 3...so for example Mike Trout, currently being drafted in 1st round, would be eligible to be kept in 4th round. With this format, you'd be able to keep a free agent in essentially any round. A big problem I have with this is that come last week of the season, you could just pick up a promising prospect for next season and guarantee you get first chance at keeping him. For example, the year before Bryce Harper was called up, all baseball fans knew he was being called star of the future. So without even having the guy play for your team, or without him even being in majors you could just pick him up in hopes of storing him for next season.

Does anyone elses keeper league have rules guidelines regarding free agent pickups? Would love some input
yeayea77
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: keeper league free agentsss...help!

Postby MashinSpuds » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:05 pm

In my keeper league there are no rounds to keep players at (it's just a set amount of people one can keep) so I won't be able to give advice about your rounds issue. However, in the leagues I've seen in this forum the usual rule seems to be that any free agent picked up can be kept at the last round of a draft. Then a certain amount of rounds get added per year kept. I think this is a good enough policy that seems to work.

In the rare cases of Harper it would be more prudent for owners to actually draft such guys so that other managers never get him in the first place. Usually guys off of the wire are undesired for the current season, but in terms of prospects any keeper league manager worth their salt should already have guys like Harper, Profar, Trout, etc on their roster. By drafting those guys in the later round one already has the player at an enviable round and you won't have to worry about the free agent bonanza so much.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions