Rate My Team (I don't think I drafted well) and I WHIR! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Rate My Team (I don't think I drafted well) and I WHIR!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate My Team (I don't think I drafted well) and I WHIR!

Postby shoelace16 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:20 pm

I would love some opinions on just how bad my offense and relief pitching is, and if my pitching is any good, and if it is, can it carry me? Any particular strenghts or weaknesses I should know/worry about? Thanks so much!

I am in a 10 team ESPN roto league. It's a keeper league in it's first year, and 10 carry over to the next season. The categories are Offense: R, AVG, SB, RBI, HR and Pitching: Ks, Wins, Saves, ERA, WHIP.
Here is my roster: (we had our draft yesterday, and I had the #2 overall pick)

BATTERS:
C: Buster Posey
1B: Paul Konerko
2B: Howard Kendrick
3B: Miguel Cabrera
SS: Elvis Andrus
2B/SS: JJ Hardy
1B/3B: Paul Goldschmidt
OF: Shane Victorino
OF: Nelson Cruz
OF: Hunter Pence
OF: Cameron Maybin
OF: Lorenzo Cain
UTIL: Mike Moustakas
UTIL: Will Middlebrooks
Bench: Michael Young (Phillies)
Bench: Daniel Murphy
DL: Brian McCann

PITCHERS:
SP: David Price
SP: Gio Gonzalez
SP: Adam Wainwright
SP: CC Sabathia
SP: Kris Medlin
SP: Roy Halladay
RP: Grant Balfour
RP: Casey Janssen
RP: Bruce Rondon
shoelace16
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate My Team (I don't think I drafted well) and I WHIR!

Postby ConorNewCafe » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:47 pm

Relief pitching is fine but I also don't draft rp's til the last 5 rounds so you can understand my outlook on saves. You have too much SP depth and a very weak outfield. Try and flip 1-2 starters for 1-2 OFs and it will balance your team out. I understand the idea of " If I win all 5 pitching categories I only need to take 1 hitting category." Never works.

Try and get some OF pop and your team will look much better in my opinion.
ConorNewCafe
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby shoelace16 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:01 pm

ConorNewCafe wrote:Relief pitching is fine but I also don't draft rp's til the last 5 rounds so you can understand my outlook on saves. You have too much SP depth and a very weak outfield. Try and flip 1-2 starters for 1-2 OFs and it will balance your team out. I understand the idea of " If I win all 5 pitching categories I only need to take 1 hitting category." Never works.

Try and get some OF pop and your team will look much better in my opinion.

Thanks- In your opinion, which of the 5 outfielders should I keep, and which SP should I try and deal?
and i took my RPs in rounds 18,20,and 26 out of 26 rounds, so I think we share some similar philosophy there
shoelace16
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby ConorNewCafe » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:19 pm

CC is someone who is a household name and if he gets off to a good start you might be able to get a premo bat for, based on if the other party in the trade is new to the game and doesn't understand the selling high buy low mantra. Even if some of your SPs get off to a slow start I'm not worried about any of your top 5. I just happen to like all the other guys better than CC and he could get you the most return while giving up the least. Maybe target someone in the 10-15 preseason outfield ranks. Off the top of my head like a Matt Holliday, Adam Jones, Jay Bruce, Heyward?
ConorNewCafe
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby ConorNewCafe » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:22 pm

As to your question about what outfielders to keep... Hmmm Cain is replacement level I think. Your sticking it out with Maybin for awhile cause if he gets hot you don't want to miss that Power/Speed combo. Even if Maybin struggles I'd just bench him not drop him.
ConorNewCafe
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby pcm4 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:58 pm

Your relief pitching is fine imo. Saves are a pretty volatile stat and there will be at least a few guys this year who lose their jobs and get replaced by guys that come out of nowhere (Fernando Rodney anyone?). Just be vigilant. Your SP is stacked. If you were to make any trades at some point I would probably try and move some of your SP for some OF help. In particular someone with power. I find most leagues overvaluing Halladay, but I can't speak to that. If someone really likes him now or he gets off to a hot start I would try and flip him immediately. I think he is still a good pitcher, but not an elite arm anymore. Since it is a 10 team league there might be some cheap power available on the WW. Perhaps you could list a few guys that are currently available as I would be comfortable dropping Cain or Murphy right now.

Help with mine: viewtopic.php?t=457026
pcm4
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby jsally430 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:27 pm

Love your pitching staff besides balfour and Rendon. Rendon only because he is unproven but you have to take some chances! I agree you could flip a pitcher for an outfielder or two and not miss a beat.

Please help me with my team thanks!
viewtopic.php?t=456926
jsally430
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 14)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team