New To Baseball: Please Rate My Team! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

New To Baseball: Please Rate My Team!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New To Baseball: Please Rate My Team!

Postby handslikesecrets » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:14 am

I love fantasy football, but being from Europe I know next to nothing about baseball. However, I agreed to join a Fantasy Baseball league with some competitive friends who love it. I did as much research as I could in a short period of time.
I'm in a 12-team head to head league, pretty standard scoring from my understanding.
Here is the team I drafted. Any input & advice is much appreciated. Would help in return but not sure I'd be able to contribute anything valuable!
C: Jonathan Lucroy
1B: Billy Butler
2B: Jose Altuve
3B: Evan Longoria
SS: Erick Aybar
OF: Ryan Braun
OF: Bryce Harper
OF: Alex Gordon
UTIL: Hunter Pence
UTIL: David Ortiz
BN: Emilio Bonifacio
BN: Domonic Brown
BN: Dee Gordon

SP: Madison Bumgarner
SP: Chris Sale
RP: Aroldis Chapman
RP: J.J. Putz
P: Tim Lincecum
P: A.J. Burnett
P: Matt Garza
P: Kenley Jansen
BN: Rick Pocello
BN: Justin Masterson
handslikesecrets
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 15)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: New To Baseball: Please Rate My Team!

Postby FantasyGiant » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:47 am

Pretty good. Starting pitching is a little risky after Bumgarner and Sale (though I have Lincecum, too *fingers crossed*) and I wouldn't bet on Dee Gordon seeing much playing time. You're good on stolen bases, anyway, so maybe think about upgrading him. Otherwise, your offense is certainly better than mine, and I actually think I know baseball.
FantasyGiant
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jbird669 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:30 am

I like your offense. It's very good. You have shaky options at SP after the big two. Perhaps you can trade later on. I see Garza bouncing back if he stays healthy though, and give you a quality third arm. So maybe you take a wait and see approach.

Help me? viewtopic.php?t=457024
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby handslikesecrets » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:54 pm

Thanks! So if I were to propose a trade, which of my player(s) would be expendable for me yet desirable for another team, and what sort of pitcher am I looking for? A few names would help! Thank you!
handslikesecrets
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 15)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby FantasyGiant » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:39 pm

Tough to say anyone you have is expendable. I think Braun/Harper/Pence is going to a reliable outfield for all categories. MAYBE Gordon. He's pretty hyped, so you might be able to get Shields or Josh Johnson (depending on who holds them). Bonifacio is tempting because of the steals, but I'd keep him for the fact that he's on Toronto and he plays second and outfield. In my mind, for a pitcher, you should get close to a K an inning and/or low-ish WHIP/ERA on a good team. There're probably some promising pitchers on the FA list. Baltimore's got Tillman and (I like) Gonzalez. Maybe Detwiler on Washington. You'll have to look at them yourself. (Zito, maybe? I'm a Giants fan, so I'm biased, but it is a contract year.) But again, mostly wins on the FA list, pretty sure all the strikeout-an-inning guys are gone. Though you could wait it out an trade Ortiz when he's healthy.
FantasyGiant
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 1)

Postby ks501 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:02 pm

Beginners luck is real. Nice draft. People love to poke holes in a pitching staff, and truth is there's so much variance in pitching performance from year to year that nobody really knows what's going to happen with even the most reliable arms. Health is a concern with Burnett, but in the NL, in a park that suppresses RH power a bit, AJ should have another season in line with what he did last year. He's always been talented and the NL is a weaker offensive league, he's in attack mode. Lincecum is a strike out monster, that isn't going to change. He maintained good K numbers in his slump last year and over the second half he really showed a nice adjustment and stopped yielding so many liners in 1-2, 0-2 counts. He used to be able to blow people away up in the zone and he's lost some velocity so it's on him to learn how to set people up for off-speed. He's a two time Cy winner with solid control and great secondary pitches. He rebounded in the second half and should keep that trend up into this year (contract year for him). Garza is in a contract year too, I believe, and he's never really dominated in the NL the way I thought he would. He's a solid option, should help you a bit with K's and not hurt you in ERA/WHIP. That's a pretty solid trio backing up your big two, you can't go out and spend early draft picks on pitching over and over again or you're screwed. There's so much variance in pitching from year to year and it's becoming more and more of a pitchers league in general that you can find must-start arms later in the draft and I think you did. Wouldn't shock me at all if AJ, Garza and Lincecum all struck out 200 guys. You'd be lucky, but it could happen. The goal is to have 5-6 starters come mid-season that you trust against almost every line up. You're on the way there for sure.
ks501
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Irish Drunk » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:15 pm

OF - amazing
IF - good if not solid. Lucroy a bit of a gamble.
Hitters(depth) - Drop Dee Gordon, won't play much. Ortiz could be a steal. Brown with a breakout season pending.

SP - Love the first 2, after that it's a gamble.
RP - Solid and bonus if Kenley gets his job back. I like his chances.

Good for a newbie, well done. Pitching can be had via waivers. Should be a better option than Porcello at least.
Irish Drunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 160)

Postby ks501 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:17 pm

See if somebody is interested in Ortiz straight up for an underrated pitcher. Ortiz has achilles issues, he's old, he could be useless against lefties and he might not even be right all season long with this injury. Who knows. Clay Buchholz was nice in his last 100 innings last year, he's got pedigree and talent enough to be a good rebound candidate and he's been a Cy contender before. He won't help you in K's though. See if Kris Medlen is owned by somebody who might be enticed by Ortiz's power #'s, I doubt it, but throw an offer that way. Hiroki Kuroda, Wade Miley, and James Shields might be targets too.

Don't cast off Rick Porcello too early and if he winds up headed to an NL team with a nice infield via trade from the Tigers, definitely hang on to him. He's still young and has more potential than a lot of people realize.
ks501
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team