Rate my Team, WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Rate my Team, WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate my Team, WHIR

Postby TrippySG » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:15 pm

Just had a draft, I like some stuff, think the pitching might need some work. 1 DL spot, so Hart or Garza go on the DL for a little while. Hart was my last picjup, so its just taking a chance there. Let me know what you think
H2H, 12 Team, 5 Keepers, 5X5
C: Salvador Perez
1B: Ike Davis
2B: Ben Zobrist
3B: Miguel Cabrera
SS: Starlin Castro
OF: Mike Trout
OF: Alexander De Aza
OF: Mike Stanton
Util: Will Middlebrooks
Util: Jason Kubel
BN: Jesus Montero
BN: Corey Hart
BN: Andre Ethier

SP: Chris Sale
SP: Zach Grienke
SP: Matt Garza
SP: Alexi Ogando
SP: Jeff Samardzija
SP: Chris Tillman
SP: Shelby Miller
SP: Mike Minor
SP: James MacDonald
RP: Rafeal Soriano
RP: Joe Nathan
TrippySG
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate my Team, WHIR

Postby TrippySG » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:23 pm

bump
TrippySG
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KrazyA428 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:45 pm

Hitting looks nice - I think Ike Davis is going to have a really strong year, and Salvador Perez is a nice sleeper candidate from everything I've read about him. With Davis, Stanton, Cabrera, and Trout, you should have no trouble winning HR every week. I also think Middlebrooks is going to have like a 22-25 HR, 90RBI season. I don't think Kubel will come close to repeating but there will be others on FA who'll help you with the second util spot as the season goes on.

I think the pitching is good enough so that you'll be competitive in those five categories week to week. Sale and Greinke are nice anchors. After that I think that Samardzija and Minor are your best pitchers. Not too high on Garza until he proves me wrong. Miller is a nice prospect, too.
KrazyA428
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby luso26 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:52 pm

Your pitching staff looks OK.. I'm not a believer in Sale that he's gonna last the entire season. He just has never had a real workload. Greinke hopefully the early injury isn't anything serious or lingering. I don't think you will do well in WHIP. ERA I don't know either, but you will be better off in ERA than WHIP for sure. K's shouldn't be an issue. W's is pretty random. And saves, despite having two nice RPs, you still might need help. I think you will need to be active on the wavier wire though for pitchers. If you do that, you will be ok.

You got a nice mix of power and speed with the lineup. You should do very well with that lineup. I'm not a believer in Middlesbrooks personally. There was no reason to go over kill on the catcher spot. You've got two guys that can end up being very good. But it's not necessary. You could've spent that pick on another power hitter. I always believe that you can never have enough power. So while it looks like you should be good in that department, I would feel just a tiny bit more comfortable having one more real power bat.
luso26
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby lenziemckenzie » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:33 pm

The hitting looks very decent to me, one thing I'd say is try to clear up some of your hitters using up Bench spots, in H2H leagues, it's generally a much better idea to have extra pitchers (to use when they have 2 starts if they aren't 'must-start') than having back up hitters.

The starting pitching has the potential, but I have to say the thing that worries me a little is that you've chosen to go with a lot of question mark pitchers. I do believe in a lot of these, don't get me wrong, but what I mean is, half of these pitchers have a history of being injury prone, and the other half has a very limited starting career to go off of. Sale, Ogando, Samardzija, Miller, Minor, I also think McDonald, maximum of one season as SP. Grienke I am personally STILL not sold on to be honest and he's a bit injury prone. Gazra is decent, but also prone to injury. You may want to try and trade some of your excess hitters to get a proven SP. BTW the RP look strong... Hope that is of some help... Good luck.
lenziemckenzie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ks501 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:09 pm

luso26 wrote:Your pitching staff looks OK.. I'm not a believer in Sale that he's gonna last the entire season. He just has never had a real workload. Greinke hopefully the early injury isn't anything serious or lingering. I don't think you will do well in WHIP. ERA I don't know either, but you will be better off in ERA than WHIP for sure. K's shouldn't be an issue. W's is pretty random. And saves, despite having two nice RPs, you still might need help. I think you will need to be active on the wavier wire though for pitchers. If you do that, you will be ok.

You got a nice mix of power and speed with the lineup. You should do very well with that lineup. I'm not a believer in Middlesbrooks personally. There was no reason to go over kill on the catcher spot. You've got two guys that can end up being very good. But it's not necessary. You could've spent that pick on another power hitter. I always believe that you can never have enough power. So while it looks like you should be good in that department, I would feel just a tiny bit more comfortable having one more real power bat.

Ok, so I'm new here, taking a bunch of online classes and passing my time on this site a bunch and I hope nobody gets overly up in arms about a call out here and there, but I basically have to call this dude out on his entire post. Apologies, bro.

Chris Sale is 23. He is also a MONSTER. His minor league career spanned all of 10.1 innings BECAUSE HE'S A MONSTER. How many 23 year olds pitch 192 innings in the big leagues, maintain a 9.0 k/9 and improve their K/BB? I don't know what a "real workload" is by your definition, but jumping from 71 innings, to 192 while lowering your BB/9, maintaining your K/9 and pounding the zone while not seeing any significant up-tick in opp. BA or HR/9 is great. I wanted to draft the ever loving shit out of Chris Sale this year but I can't because the secret is out, he's nuts and you can't get him after the 4th. He is absolutely an ace in the making and I really don't know how many pitchers have taken on a #1 starters workload by age 23. It would probably be irresponsible to do that to a pitcher drafted when he was 21.

Also, how can you pick on a guy for having two catchers when he probably drafted both of them in the 13-16th round area? Not to mention Jesus Montero has awesome power potential, but I'm curious who he could have picked up in late rounds who would be a power bat? Maybe Alfonso Soriano? But where's he going to play? I would personally rather gamble on Ethier this year than Soriano. Now he's got two starter-worthy catchers who will attract trade offers I'm sure and he can trade one or not but he'll have multiple trade partners potentially I'm betting.

Great team OP. Jeff Samardjiza is going to take a big step forward and your pitching is beast anyways. Really a great team. Trout and Miguel? If you're not the commish you should probably just tell people to send their buy-in to you anyways because that's where it's all going in the end I think.
ks501
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team