Vernon Wells, to the Yankees - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vernon Wells, to the Yankees

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Vernon Wells, to the Yankees

Postby silverZ » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:53 pm

All I can say is...AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH :-D
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:16 pm

Ender wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Ender wrote: it had nothing to do with Zito.
you must have watched a different series

Are you suggesting that every other pitcher in baseball would have lost that game or something? Suppan was a world series MVP but the Cardinals did not win the series because of him. The Giants got hot at the right time, the Tigers went cold at the wrong time. The best teams don't always win in the post season. You don't earn that type of contract from one good series that happened to be the championship series or from one good year.

Do you feel this way about all sports? I mean Joe Flacco won a super bowl by throwing up hail mary passes and having Boldin bail him out and they traded the better player and massively over payed the worse one. I'm guessing you think this was a good move too?

Haters gonna hate.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:48 pm

I was listening to MLB radio and they suggested that the Yankees are playing Wells this year, allowing the Angels to get under the luxury tax and the Angels would pay him next year allowing the Yankees to get under the luxury tax. I haven't seen that it writing anywhere but it soundly pretty shady.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Vernon Wells, to the Yankees

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:10 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I was listening to MLB radio and they suggested that the Yankees are playing Wells this year, allowing the Angels to get under the luxury tax and the Angels would pay him next year allowing the Yankees to get under the luxury tax. I haven't seen that it writing anywhere but it soundly pretty shady.

I read that the Yankees will be paying him everything they owe him this year so that they'll take no hit from him on their cap number for next year (in fact the article said they could get a $2 million credit on their luxury tax with LAA paying him in 2014.) I don't know what the Angels tax situation is but if eliminating Vernon puts them under for 2013, it sounds plausible.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby toledomudhens » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:58 pm

toledomudhens wrote:fransisco, boesch and now wells....i am done with my yankees this year....hey bronx, you still think this team isn't the 2012 red sox?...we might even be worse then them......if this is they way they are going right now, I see no reason for them to even bother keeping cano or grandy untill the deadline....blow up this team and start from scratch.....I cannot believe what I am seeing from this team and management....A BIG THUMBS DOWN.... :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t

Oh ya, I forgot to metion old wang'er...regarless of salary cap, or luxury tax, this is not the New York Yankee way. The yankees I know have too much pride to put a roster like this on the field..... :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 202)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:16 pm

toledomudhens wrote:
toledomudhens wrote:fransisco, boesch and now wells....i am done with my yankees this year....hey bronx, you still think this team isn't the 2012 red sox?...we might even be worse then them......if this is they way they are going right now, I see no reason for them to even bother keeping cano or grandy untill the deadline....blow up this team and start from scratch.....I cannot believe what I am seeing from this team and management....A BIG THUMBS DOWN.... :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t

Oh ya, I forgot to metion old wang'er...regarless of salary cap, or luxury tax, this is not the New York Yankee way. The yankees I know have too much pride to put a roster like this on the field..... :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t

Right, they should have gone out and signed Josh Hamilton and Zack Greinke to huge multi-year contracts.

Oh wait, you condemned them for doing that.

Then they should sign relatively inexpensive veterans to short-term deals while preserving prospects/picks, allowing them to reset their luxury tax after 2014 and gear up for another championship run.

Oh wait, that's what they are doing and you're condemning that.

Then they should trade Robinson Cano, the one real jewel of the organization, despite the fact that it will completely kill any chance for competitiveness this year and likely in years to come, and will likely yield only a marginal return of talent given that he's slated to be a FA at the end of the year and is seeking north of $200M per year. Yes, that's the ticket to restoring "Yankee pride."
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby toledomudhens » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:13 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
toledomudhens wrote:

Right, they should have gone out and signed Josh Hamilton and Zack Greinke to huge multi-year contracts.

Oh wait, you condemned them for doing that.

Then they should sign relatively inexpensive veterans to short-term deals while preserving prospects/picks, allowing them to reset their luxury tax after 2014 and gear up for another championship run.

Oh wait, that's what they are doing and you're condemning that.

Then they should trade Robinson Cano, the one real jewel of the organization, despite the fact that it will completely kill any chance for competitiveness this year and likely in years to come, and will likely yield only a marginal return of talent given that he's slated to be a FA at the end of the year and is seeking north of $200M per year. Yes, that's the ticket to restoring "Yankee pride."[/quote

No actually I condem the brothers and the way they want to run this historic franchise. George never held back when it coame to money, did he always make the right decision?..no...See it's not the amount of money of these contracts, its the length these guys want....200 plus million for ten yrs is the going rate for the top hitters....and this is exactly what cano wants, and will get from someone...I want nothing more than to see cano take the "C" from jeter when he is done, but management wants to be under the "cap" so this is what I as a yankee fan am pissed about....I have never condemed any team for spending there money to field the best product they can, or teams for not spending there money always staying young and still being competitive yr to yr(oakland, tampa)...And damn rights i would have loved nothing more than to see josh hamilton hit that ball in the 3rd deck of yankee stadium day in and day out, not so about grienke.....was never a grienke lover. I don't care how these teams spend, do I believe these ballplayers are worth that mutch?...no...but that is the market and as a yankee fan thats what I am accustemed to...the best product $$$ can buy....The brothers on the other hand have differnt views and idea's...I am only talking about trading cano and granderson because this is what I believe the brothers are headed for, a marginal team, with minimal stars and spending less as possible....This is MY opinion, And as far as I remember I am still entitled too...
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 202)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:32 pm

toledomudhens wrote:No actually I condem the brothers and the way they want to run this historic franchise. George never held back when it coame to money, did he always make the right decision?..no...See it's not the amount of money of these contracts, its the length these guys want....200 plus million for ten yrs is the going rate for the top hitters....and this is exactly what cano wants, and will get from someone...I want nothing more than to see cano take the "C" from jeter when he is done, but management wants to be under the "cap" so this is what I as a yankee fan am pissed about....I have never condemed any team for spending there money to field the best product they can, or teams for not spending there money always staying young and still being competitive yr to yr(oakland, tampa)...And damn rights i would have loved nothing more than to see josh hamilton hit that ball in the 3rd deck of yankee stadium day in and day out, not so about grienke.....was never a grienke lover. I don't care how these teams spend, do I believe these ballplayers are worth that mutch?...no...but that is the market and as a yankee fan thats what I am accustemed to...the best product $$$ can buy....The brothers on the other hand have differnt views and idea's...I am only talking about trading cano and granderson because this is what I believe the brothers are headed for, a marginal team, with minimal stars and spending less as possible....This is MY opinion, And as far as I remember I am still entitled too...

You understand getting under the luxury tax threshold is a 1-year thing, right? Unless you believe they are lying? The Yankees pay 42.5% in luxury tax because they've been over the mark since it was introduced. They paid over $19 million last year and that number keeps climbing as long as they stay over the mark. Once they get under the mark, the percent they pay resets. That's what they're trying to do...reset the number.

And the threshold is $189 million. You're acting like the Yankees are becoming the Marlins. Their payroll is still north of that number for this year. To act as if the Yankees have drastically cut payroll since George's death is laughable. The current roster doesn't reflect the payroll because half the starting lineup is injured.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:46 pm

there is nothing i love more than watching Yankee fan publicly cry. its like better than sex. please cry for us some more. please, please, please.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby wrveres » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:51 pm

Ender wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Ender wrote: it had nothing to do with Zito.
you must have watched a different series

Are you suggesting that every other pitcher in baseball would have lost that game or something? Suppan was a world series MVP but the Cardinals did not win the series because of him. The Giants got hot at the right time, the Tigers went cold at the wrong time. The best teams don't always win in the post season. You don't earn that type of contract from one good series that happened to be the championship series or from one good year.

Do you feel this way about all sports? I mean Joe Flacco won a super bowl by throwing up hail mary passes and having Boldin bail him out and they traded the better player and massively over payed the worse one. I'm guessing you think this was a good move too?
They wouldn't have even gotten there if it wasn't for Zito. him dealing in the postseason was just the icing on the cake.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers