Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vernon Wells, to the Yankees

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Vernon Wells, to the Yankees

Postby Ender » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:57 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Ender wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
Barry Zito deserves every penny of his contract.

I'm guessing you mean this because they won 2 world series despite him? Nothing he has done suggests he deserves that contract in a situation that is as easy to pitch in as Petco.

Uh, are you forgetting the clutch Game 5 of the NLCS and his win vs Verlander in the WS? The Giants won the last 14 games he started last year!

I'm not forgetting anything. The Giants won 2 WS based on getting lucky with crappy teams, it had nothing to do with Zito.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:21 am

Ender wrote: it had nothing to do with Zito.
you must have watched a different series
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:23 am

Ender wrote:I'm not forgetting anything. The Giants won 2 WS based on getting lucky with crappy teams, it had nothing to do with Zito.

Ya, sweeping the Tigers in four games is luck. ;-7

Not only did Zito dominate two incredibly important games, but in 2007 he sucked just enough to put the Giants in position to draft Posey in 2008. Easily worth that contract.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 426)

Postby toledomudhens » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:16 am

fransisco, boesch and now wells....i am done with my yankees this year....hey bronx, you still think this team isn't the 2012 red sox?...we might even be worse then them......if this is they way they are going right now, I see no reason for them to even bother keeping cano or grandy untill the deadline....blow up this team and start from scratch.....I cannot believe what I am seeing from this team and management....A BIG THUMBS DOWN.... :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 199)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:20 am

toledomudhens wrote:fransisco, boesch and now wells....i am done with my yankees this year....hey bronx, you still think this team isn't the 2012 red sox?...we might even be worse then them......if this is they way they are going right now, I see no reason for them to even bother keeping cano or grandy untill the deadline....blow up this team and start from scratch.....I cannot believe what I am seeing from this team and management....A BIG THUMBS DOWN.... :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t

Lol.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:28 am

it wasn't that long ago the Yankees were putting out an all star at almost every position.

I don't think Wells is "that bad", but I still don't understand why they went for Wells.
now sure the Yankees are not going to be paying him much since that salary will be covered by the Angels (and Jays still?).
one way to look at it is Wells is a RH bat, compared to the other OF all being LH (Ichiro/Gardner/Granderson/Boesch). but I think there were other/better RH batters they could have gotten.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 77)

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:44 am

wrveres wrote:
Ender wrote: it had nothing to do with Zito.
you must have watched a different series

Are you suggesting that every other pitcher in baseball would have lost that game or something? Suppan was a world series MVP but the Cardinals did not win the series because of him. The Giants got hot at the right time, the Tigers went cold at the wrong time. The best teams don't always win in the post season. You don't earn that type of contract from one good series that happened to be the championship series or from one good year.

Do you feel this way about all sports? I mean Joe Flacco won a super bowl by throwing up hail mary passes and having Boldin bail him out and they traded the better player and massively over payed the worse one. I'm guessing you think this was a good move too?
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:39 pm

$13M, wow.... insanity. For essentially a 6 week job to play LF. After that he'll be riding the pine and pinch hitting against the occasional LOOGY. How much would one season of Andruw Jones have cost them? He's essentially the same as Wells... former elite CF at the end of a serious decline.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:55 pm

Wells will play a lot more than you think. He will play against lefties all year long most likely and against righties when Hafner is hurt. Heck maybe they even fit him in at 1B some.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:26 pm

I think the bottom line is that he's so bad, that the more they play him, the worse off they are. If he plays a lot more than I think, they're in serious trouble. It was probably tempting to go after him since they have so many lefties to pair him with (Gardner, Granderson, Ichiro, Hafner) but that doesn't make it any wiser to choose him over Scott Hairston, Reed Johnson, Andruw Jones, Johnny Gomes, etc. All those guys combined are making significantly less than they're paying Wells, and all are probably better than him. Really poor planning on their behalf. Just like the Angels' poor planning when they originally took the Wells contract, but obviously on a smaller scale. People should keep this in mind when they argue that Cashman is a good GM and doens't succeed just because of the payroll he's working with. This, and the A-Rod contract.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers