Vernon Wells, to the Yankees - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vernon Wells, to the Yankees

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Vernon Wells, to the Yankees

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:36 pm

reports are that the Yankees are in trade talks for Vernon Wells, and it's close.

Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Yankees are in trade talks with the Angels regarding Vernon Wells and a deal "could be done today."
Passan adds that "lots of money would go back to New York" in the deal, which, of course, is a given with Wells having $42 million left on his contract. Wells has a full no-trade clause and has embraced a backup role with the Angels, but perhaps he'd be willing to waive it for what would be an uptick in playing time. The 34-year-old would figure to play pretty regularly in left field until Curtis Granderson returns. Wells has batted just .222/.258/.409 over the last two seasons.

prior to this news I would think the OF would be/would have been.. Boesch/Gardner/Ichiro, with Granderson on the sidelines with an injury. once Granderson returns that OF changes to.. Granderson/Gardner/Ichiro.
how does Wells to the Yankees change this? would Wells start on a regular basis over newly signed Brennan Boesch? once Granderson returns Wells moves back to a bench role, same as he has now with the Angles. he might even have a better chance at playing time if he stays in LA, where his only competition is Bourjos. Bourjos wasn't exactly much good last season, meaning Wells could even potentially take over for Bourjos full time if he struggles again.

as for Wells. I don't think he is a bad option if he can get regular playing time.
yes the last years hs AVG has been BAD. .230 AVG in 2012, and .218 AVG in 2011. but he has also had bad BABIP. .226 in 2012, and .214 in 2011.
his LD rate in 2012 wasn't too bad, 15.7 (compared to 12.3 in 2011).
his K rate has been decent/good. 13.4 in 2012, and 16.3 in 2011.
his BB rate hasn't been that good though. 6.1% in 2012, and 3.8 in 2011.
his contact rate has been good. 85.6 in 2012, and 81.3 in 2011.

expectations/projections for Wells if he goes to the Yankees?

personally I drafted Wells in a deep 6 team league for my bench, because I already drafted Bourjos.
Last edited by SpecialFNK on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 102)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Vernon Wells, to the Yankees ?

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:30 pm

So it seems like a done deal pending league approval and a physical. How does this work luxury tax-wise? Only the amount they pay him counts towards their limit, right?
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 172)

Re: Vernon Wells, to the Yankees ?

Postby MetsGoon » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:41 pm

Skin Blues wrote:So it seems like a done deal pending league approval and a physical. How does this work luxury tax-wise? Only the amount they pay him counts towards their limit, right?

exactly, and im assuming its going to be $10 mil or less
MetsGoon
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Re: Vernon Wells, to the Yankees

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:43 pm

I don't know how it works for the tax. I assume only what portion of the salary the Yankees are paying is what goes towards their tax.

I don't understand why the Yankees would even do this. Boesch is good enough, especially since he only has to play until Granderson returns.

just throwing this out there. would the Yankees have any knowledge whether Granderson could indeed be connected to a PED suspension? maybe if they know something that can't be announced yet, that would make them want to bring in another OF who could play longer.

Wells might have some fantasy value even in a standard league if he can play full time until Granderson returns.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 102)

Postby kab21 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:27 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:reports are that the Yankees are in trade talks for Vernon Wells, and it's close.

Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Yankees are in trade talks with the Angels regarding Vernon Wells and a deal "could be done today."
Passan adds that "lots of money would go back to New York" in the deal, which, of course, is a given with Wells having $42 million left on his contract. Wells has a full no-trade clause and has embraced a backup role with the Angels, but perhaps he'd be willing to waive it for what would be an uptick in playing time. The 34-year-old would figure to play pretty regularly in left field until Curtis Granderson returns. Wells has batted just .222/.258/.409 over the last two seasons.

prior to this news I would think the OF would be/would have been.. Boesch/Gardner/Ichiro, with Granderson on the sidelines with an injury. once Granderson returns that OF changes to.. Granderson/Gardner/Ichiro.
how does Wells to the Yankees change this? would Wells start on a regular basis over newly signed Brennan Boesch? once Granderson returns Wells moves back to a bench role, same as he has now with the Angles. he might even have a better chance at playing time if he stays in LA, where his only competition is Bourjos. Bourjos wasn't exactly much good last season, meaning Wells could even potentially take over for Bourjos full time if he struggles again.

as for Wells. I don't think he is a bad option if he can get regular playing time.
yes the last years hs AVG has been BAD. .230 AVG in 2012, and .218 AVG in 2011. but he has also had bad BABIP. .226 in 2012, and .214 in 2011.
his LD rate in 2012 wasn't too bad, 15.7 (compared to 12.3 in 2011).
his K rate has been decent/good. 13.4 in 2012, and 16.3 in 2011.
his BB rate hasn't been that good though. 6.1% in 2012, and 3.8 in 2011.
his contact rate has been good. 85.6 in 2012, and 81.3 in 2011.

expectations/projections for Wells if he goes to the Yankees?

personally I drafted Wells in a deep 6 team league for my bench, because I already drafted Bourjos.

Nice attempt at a positive spin. He might be good enough to be rostered while Granderson is out but I don't think there is enough playing time to interest me unless it's a 20+ tm league. And even then I'm skeptical.

FWIW - his LD rate might have improved but it still would have ranked 2nd to last among qualified MLB'ers.

I'm surprised the Angels were able to get the Yankees to pick up 13M of the salary out of 42M. There's no way he gets that in FA.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby Ender » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:42 pm

Wells is still worthless, Boesch loses some value.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:43 pm

Maybe next the Giants can send Barry Zito to the Yanks. Apparently they're trying to take on every one of the most overpaid schlubs in the game.

I am loving every second of this.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:52 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Maybe next the Giants can send Barry Zito to the Yanks. Apparently they're trying to take on every one of the most overpaid schlubs in the game.

Barry Zito deserves every penny of his contract.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby Ender » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:54 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Maybe next the Giants can send Barry Zito to the Yanks. Apparently they're trying to take on every one of the most overpaid schlubs in the game.

I'm guessing you mean this because they won 2 world series despite him? Nothing he has done suggests he deserves that contract in a situation that is as easy to pitch in as Petco.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:56 pm

Ender wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:

I'm guessing you mean this because they won 2 world series despite him? Nothing he has done suggests he deserves that contract in a situation that is as easy to pitch in as Petco.

Uh, are you forgetting the clutch Game 5 of the NLCS and his win vs Verlander in the WS? The Giants won the last 14 games he started last year!
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers