With the eleventh pick... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

With the eleventh pick...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who would you select with the eleventh pick in a re-draft?

Justin Upton
15%
Clayton Kershaw
15%
Justin Verlander
5%
Stephen Strasburg
7%
Troy Tulowitzki
12%
Giancarlo Stanton
32%
Other
15%

Total votes : 41

With the eleventh pick...

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:18 pm

In a series of twelve threads, let's discuss who should be picked where in the first round. Assume standard scoring 12 team H2H re-draft league.

So far we have...

1. Ryan Braun
2. Miguel Cabrera
3. Mike Trout
4. Robinson Cano
5. Matt Kemp
6. Joey Votto
7. Albert Pujols
8. Prince Fielder
9. Carlos Gonzalez
10. Andrew McCutchen

1) Select a player in the poll
2) Feel free to discuss the pros and cons of these players - this could be helpful for some and generate some good discussion.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: With the eleventh pick...

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:24 pm

I'm between Tulo and Bautista with this one. Really glad I don't have to pick this far down in my draft.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Sticky Spice » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:08 pm

I like Upton's upside, surrounding cast, and fresh start here. Giancarlo would be a lot more tempting on just about any other team. I can always get one of the three big SP on the way back and I just don't trust Tulo after last year's injury debacle.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 40)

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:47 pm

This one is Stanton all the way for me. Taking Tulo in the 1st round or a pitcher is just a suckers play. Bautista is more of a .260 hitter than a .300 guy and the wrist does scare me for sure so I have him as a 2nd rounder. I would never take Hamilton here but I do think he should be on the poll, you could probably start saying "a pitcher" instead of spreading it into 3 different guys to be honest and that makes room for more hitters.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby TheRock » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:21 pm

I agree with Ender - even if you wanted a pitcher here grab one on the way back.

We established earlier that the 4th spot sucks, it looks like the 11th spot does too. If you're feeling lucky several guys make sense here - Tulo, Bautista and Hamilton all have the upside for a late first round pick. But each comes with an assortment of risks. If you're feeling safer I think you go with the solid batting average and 40 dingers of Stanton. His lineup sucks and he doesn't steal. Upton is an intriguing pick at this point if you think joining his brother in the ATL will inspire a great season. And it might.

I think I would go Stanton, he has the highest downside, and it's not like doesn't have upside. .280+ with 45 HR isn't out of the question.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:25 pm

I dunno about his brother helping but being healthy might help Upton. He played through a thumb injury for much of last year and also played through constant rumors about being traded and I'd imagine brother or not this year should be a much more comfortable situation for him. A very large portion of his down season was the 1st two months when he was playing hurt though.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:27 pm

TheRock wrote:I agree with Ender - even if you wanted a pitcher here grab one on the way back.

We established earlier that the 4th spot sucks, it looks like the 11th spot does too. If you're feeling lucky several guys make sense here - Tulo, Bautista and Hamilton all have the upside for a late first round pick. But each comes with an assortment of risks. If you're feeling safer I think you go with the solid batting average and 40 dingers of Stanton. His lineup sucks and he doesn't steal. Upton is an intriguing pick at this point if you think joining his brother in the ATL will inspire a great season. And it might.

I think I would go Stanton, he has the highest downside, and it's not like doesn't have upside. .280+ with 45 HR isn't out of the question.

Meh. He's likely a .270 hitter who doesn't steal in a terrible line-up. I really don't think his power makes up for all that with some of the other guys available. Plus he's already dealt with injuries. I honestly don't think I'd take him until the 3rd round.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:09 am

He hit .290 with 37 HR and 6 SB with the worst lineup in baseball around him last year and that was while hurt and missing 40 games. If he happened to play on a good team and didn't have an injury risk I'd project him for 45 HR, 9 SB and 120 RBI. The fact he is in an awful situation is the only reason we aren't taking about him as a top 4 pick. End of the 1st round seems to work to be honest even if the lack of SB stinks.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:23 am

Ender wrote:He hit .290 with 37 HR and 6 SB with the worst lineup in baseball around him last year and that was while hurt and missing 40 games. If he happened to play on a good team and didn't have an injury risk I'd project him for 45 HR, 9 SB and 120 RBI. The fact he is in an awful situation is the only reason we aren't taking about him as a top 4 pick. End of the 1st round seems to work to be honest even if the lack of SB stinks.

Sure he could be a late first rounder if he hits .290 again, I just don't see it happening. He has the skill-set of a .270 hitter and he does have the injury risk and he is on a terrible team. I have him projected to hit 38 HR and that doesn't even put him in the second round by my values.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:04 am

I'm more willing to draft pitchers early than most people, so I went with Kershaw. I don't remotely expect him to win this vote though, or any of the next few.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers