Rate my roster? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Rate my roster?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate my roster?

Postby sn267537 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:36 pm

10 team roto

Standard yahoo roster, settings, and categories (5x5)

10 keepers: keepers are marked*

2 things that stand out to me as question marks
1.) my SP depth and is it solid/strong enough?
2.) my SB and AVG potential for my starting roster

C: J. Montero*
1B: E. hosmer
2B: J. Kipnis*
3B: k. Seager
SS: H. Ramirez* (E. Cabrera to fill in)
OF: R. Braun*
OF: J. Bautista*
OF: M. Holliday*
UTL: J. Upton* (OF)
UTL: B. Butler* (OF)

SP: M. Cain*
SP: J. Zimmerman*
RP: J. Johnson
RP: H. Street
P: J. Peavy(SP)
P: M. Harvey(SP)
P: J. Niese(SP)
P: E. frieri(RP)

BN: E. Bonifacio(2B,OF)
BN: W. Miley(SP)
BN: B. rondon(RP)
BN: B. ponell(RP)

(I drafted 5 RP I know)
sn267537
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 539)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate my roster?

Postby ConorNewCafe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:56 pm

8/10. Nice bats.
ConorNewCafe
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 7)

Postby sn267537 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:02 pm

ConorNewCafe wrote:8/10. Nice bats.

Can I ask where the 2/10 is being marked off from? Pitching, 3B, 1B, C? Or a stat category, batting average, SB, runs?
sn267537
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ConorNewCafe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:06 pm

Personal preference on 1B, 2B, 3B, and SP. Might be the best team in your league. It's super hard to build a 10/10 team. 8/10 is great!
ConorNewCafe
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 7)

Postby sn267537 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:09 pm

ConorNewCafe wrote:Personal preference on 1B, 2B, 3B, and SP. Might be the best team in your league. It's super hard to build a 10/10 team. 8/10 is great!

I know tough to get 10/10 just want to know where the points are taken off to make it better in those areas, or have the idea. But thanks for the compliment, on the yahoo boards this guy said he doesn't think I'd make the playoffs.....
sn267537
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby misterf » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:22 pm

I am not as high on this team. A 10-team league is pretty shallow, so you are supposed to have a ton of talent.

Your outfielder is awesome: Braun, Bat's, Upton, Holliday and Butler is about as good a 5 OF's as you are going to find.

But that OF comes at a price:

c: I like Montero...he is solid, not great, but solid.
1b: Hosmer is a decent.....but his downside is almost as big as his upside
2b: Kipnis is nice...downside bigger than some....but still solid
3b: Big concern: Seager is a long-term prospect....not a guy you can count on in such a shallow league
ss: Big concern: you were set here, but now HanRam will miss 50+ games. And E. Cabrera is mediocre at best
of/ut: outstanding

Bench hitters: Concern. Bonifocio is unremarkable....there must be better option on the waiver wire.

SP: Starting pitching is just ok. Couple of good guys at the top.....but the quality drops off quick and you really lack depth....and you lack k's.
-Cain is great....legit fantasy Ace.
-Zimmerman is a nice....borderline #2/#3. But Zimmerman doesn't give you a bunch of k's. --Peavy is fine as a #3....but, again, not a ton of k's.
-Harvey is all right.....but still mediocre k's/9.
-Niese and Miley are meh.....they are nice guys to have as your 7th or 8th SP option......if they are your #5 guys you are in some trouble.
-Assuming the innings limit in your league is 1400, you need at least 1, probably 2 more legit, mid-level SP's on your team....and you definitely need to add K's.
-I would say trade one of your OF's for a good SP, but there is nobody on your bench to fill the hole, so that's not such a great option.

rp: You are in good shape here. You have 2 legit closers in street and Jim Johnson....and Fiers has good stuff and should at least start the year as a closer. Parnell should also start as closer (I assume Ponell is actually Parnell) And Rondon is a complete wild card...but looks like he has first shot at the closer role. While RP is a strength for you, the uncertainty re: fiers, parnell and rondon means you probably don't have much trade value here....unless you are willing to part with Johnson or Street.

I give it a 6/10 (a 7/10 before HanRam's injury).

You need Hosmer and Kipnis to to both play up to the top of their expectations. If either underachieve you could be in trouble.

3b and ss could be huge holes in your lineup

You really lack depth in SP...your top guys are solid....but you need more mid-level SP's....and you need k's

And your bench lacks quality hitters, so you really can't trade from your strength (OF) to fill those holes.

Now, don't get me wrong, your team has plenty of good points.

You have a great collection of bats at the top of your lineup. They all happen to be OF's....but they are great.

And Hosmer and Kipnis do both have legit upside with very high ceilings.

Cain and Zimmerman are a very nice 1-2 punch at the top of your rotation.

You are in good shape re: saves....at least 1, if not 2 guys from the Fiers, Parnell Rondon group should pan-out well for you.

This team would look much better in a 12-team league.....in a 10-team league I gotta believe there are at least 2....probably 3-4 teams that are simply better. Which is why I give this team a 6/10 at this point. You do have plenty of talent as the base of this team, so with some hard work during the season you can certainly turn it into a top-3 team in your league......i don't think it is there yet, though
misterf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 54)

Postby sn267537 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:41 pm

Misterf-

Wow what a reply, really great and in depth I appreciate it!

I plan to trade Holliday and Bautista for SP and Of in return. Hanley was a really tough one to take.

Butler Is 1B idk why I typed OF, but I took hosmer in hopes of a turn around and he was in my opinion the best option at the time to draft.

Seager isn't the best for a traditional 3B I do like his stats he produces, potential, and the trade chip he could be to upgrade

Definetly going to get an upgrade in SP though, from either Holliday/Bautista and peavy I think

Thanks again for ur replying and advice
sn267537
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby misterf » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:43 pm

No problem.

can't believe i missed the position for butler.....I think of him more as a dh since in my primary league he doesn't have 1b eligibility so I had a brain fart re: his primary position and just didn't question your typo, sorry about that.

I do like Hosmer much more as a utility guy instead of primary 1b, though.....still has same up-side/down-side issues....but if he is bust (not likely but definitely possible) you have a ton more options if he is a utility guy.

Holliday is the OF I would be most interested in trading in your position.

Good luck
misterf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 54)

Postby sn267537 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:59 pm

Yeah I messed up labeling butler as a OF

I figured hosmer stat contribution and potential 20/20 as a 1B is a nice fit for my team as long as his avg goes up

Figured I had Hr power else wear so went with the best fit for my team in a limited 1B keeper draft I had konerko last year. I understand hosmer being more valuable as a Utl and am not arguing for him to say he's good enough as my starting 1B, but he could be, it's unknown

Was disappointed though my pitching is weaker than I thought, but a Holliday peavy trade should change that I suppose

Thank u for ur very useful replies
sn267537
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions