2013 Cold Stove Survey (rip Aussie) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Cold Stove League

2013 Cold Stove Survey (rip Aussie)

Moderators: smoovethug, RocketsDWM

2013 Cold Stove Survey (rip Aussie)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:03 pm

1. Did any players you were targeting get sniped right before your pick?

2. What was your strategy in the draft, and did you execute it to your satisfaction?

3. The best pick you made

4. The worst pick you made

5. Who have you got finishing top 3?

6. Who have you got finishing bottom 3 (show your working)?

7. Who was the steal of the draft?

8. Who was the reach of the draft?

9. Who is the biggest key to your success?

edit - changed question #1, not quite relevant this year. :-{
Last edited by Grounded Polo on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2013 Cold Stove Survey (rip Aussie)

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:02 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:1. What was your keeper plan, and do you regret jettisoning anyone yet?

I regret jettisoning everyone :-D

2. What was your strategy in the MLB draft, and did you execute it to your satisfaction?

As always, pick the best value. Not thrilled with my lineup, but I couldnt pass up premier pitching.

Kershaw. I'm surprised he was there. I was hoping one of the trio of Verlander, Kershaw or Strasburg would fall to me in 2nd.

Could be Hamels over Ellsbury or Morrow over Beltran. I'm banking on the fact that Morrow keeps progressing but his injury woes should have swayed me to Beltran.

Fade
Kaveman
Third Day

Me (if my offense does not perform)
Cords (Beckett is your "ace" and Motte has a slight tear in his elbow; but I really like the lineup especially if Craig gets playing time)
Wicked (mainly b/c he was autopicking halfway through the draft)

I think it will be Shelby Miller. Love that pick. I think Lester was a steal too. And Corey Hart.

Howard in the 6th I believe?

I need 2011 Kemp to show up. I was hoping Votto would fall so I could take the safer pick.

RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:53 pm

Red managed to snipe Harper, Goldschmidt, and Gio, all guys I was targeting with my picks. :-C

2. What was your strategy in the draft, and did you execute it to your satisfaction?

The usual plan - load up on the power hitters and try to grab pitching when I could. I completely disregarded position scarcity and went after the best numbers no matter what position they play. Starting Infante at 2B is pretty awful but pretty much all 2B are overvalued in a OPS league, might as well take the loss at that position and try to get better production with my infield spots to make up for it. Starting pitching was going for a premium after the discounts on the big 3 but think Latos/Zimm/Sammy/Niese is a decent top 4, will need at least one of my fliers to come up big though.

Brandon Belt in round 17, legitimate upside here with a good chance at reaching it this year

Mat Latos in Round 5, like him and had to get a pitcher at the 5/6 turn but would've liked to get something I see as a SP1.

Kaveman (Loved the Fielder/Hamilton start, fantastic in this league and pitching should be good enough to contend)
NikkiSixx (Picked up Longo at a fair price, also a fan of drafting 2 aces early then blowing off pitching for the next 10 rounds, has one of the big 3 players in Trout)
Paper Prophets (Loaded up on power and picked up a good pitching staff)

GoldRush (Not a fan of Lawrie, Bourn, Cruz, Halladay, Crawford, Posey was good value but don't want a catcher as my second best bat)
Green Rebels (Offense is horribly thin, Moore in Round 6 was just overkill, loading up on SP or not)
Third Day (Offense also looks thin, drafting Strasburg and Kimbrel early puts your behind power wise then your next bats are Mauer and Prado)

Jesus Montero in round 19 sounds like a winner to me.

Brett Lawrie in Round 5, already hurt again and obviously did not look good last year either.

Justin Upton, this guy needs to put up a superstar season for my team to win here. I really think the new situation in Atlanta will push him to the next level. He'll also escape having to play so many games at Petco, Dodger Stadium, and AT&T, should be a boost to his numbers.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Izenhart » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:01 pm

Ya. In round 1 Mike Trout went right before my pick. }:-) In round 2 there were 3 picks to go to my turn and no pitchers were taken yet, I was excited one was going to fall to me, then you Rickie Weeks loving jerks took all three of them :~(

That's ok, I thought I'll get Price with my next pick. Nope. sniped. Eff U nikki. In round 13 I was targeting Axford as my second closer, sniped there again Nikki. Round 16 Soriano sniped by GoldRush. I'm guessing this was a mistake pick, the rest of your team is horrible :-t

Strategy was to pick a good team. I executed it well IMO.

I was happy Hart made it to round 17, I needed some OF power and he was the best thing left.

I'm happy with my first 15 round picks, after that it's hard to call any pick bad. I don't trust Shields as much as others do, not a bad pick but maybe the one I disliked most.

EthierSaid, NoYouk, lazy

GoldRush (Too much risk), Green Rebels (hitting too thin), Red Rover (low OPS, low stats)

Dan Haren @ 144 OA.

Half the picks Red made in the first 10 rounds. Ryan Howard in round 6, Darvish in round 4, Salvador Perez in round 8, even Harper in round 1 and Goldschmidt in round 3. Not a fan. Even Moustakas in round 7 in front of the Panda.

I backed up my first two picks Cano and Beltre with good options in Altuve and Aram, and Encarnacion has Hart to back him up, so pitching for me is going to be key. I need Cliff Lee to continue pitching like a stud. I would like to see Addison Reed breakout and post top 5 closer numbers. Fister/Scherzer/McCarthy will make or break a lot of weeks for me.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 286)

Postby Fade2White12 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:56 pm

Absoulely. Nikki and Cords took my picks in RD 6 (Rizzo and Choo), so I got stuck with my backup plan. Luckily Hosmer made it to me in RD 8, or I'd possibly be stuck with a difficult 1B situation. Cords also took Perez from me in Rd 16 who I much rather have than Veras. Other than that, I was able to come away with most of my targets.

It's been a few years since I've had a regular redraft league draft - I've been in exclusively keeper/dynasty leagues at the Cafe for the most part. So instead of going all youth/upside, I tried to mix that in with value while not forgetting the extra OPS category. Considering it's also a H2H, I thought I could take a few chances on injured veterans who can help me over the second half (Hanley or Teixeira). I may end up with a very powerful second half team if things break right.

For pitching, I knew I knew I wanted two quasi-aces and planned on taking the two best available at the 4/5 turn. Lucking into Haren so late, and two of my favorite upside plays in Cobb/Ryu, I ended up with a great rotation along with Shelby Miller. I also planned on waiting real late on saves. I didn't plan on getting the two junk closers that I did, but I may end up getting lucky with some of the MR I picked up.

Youk!

But my favorite is probably Shelby Miller at 241. I think he wins the job with a good start today. Pretty good for my 5th/6th SP, IMO. I actually like a lot of my late round picks like Haren at 144, Cobb at 217, Moss at 240 (OPS), and Matt Carpenter at 288.

It would probably be either Adam Dunn or Norichika Aoki. With Aoki, I think I could have gotten him a little bit later, although I didn't see any players between that pick and my next that would be an obvious upgrade. With Dunn, I wonder whether his BA and OPS can improve to closer to career norms. If not, he may be more of a liability than an asset.

Kaveman - He knows how to utilize the categories in this league, and he's been successful at it since its beginning. Strong hitting by never forgetting about OPS along with a pretty good Weaver/YoGa/Cueto trio to anchor his staff.
GP - Same as above. Only possible hiccup - Infante. :-b Maybe we'll have to work out a trade. ;-D
Rockets - Dark horse, IMO. You obviously went pretty heavy pitching, and although that's not my favorite strategy considering the categories and it being H2H, I think your hitting is ok enough to keep you in it during most weeks. It's not a team that I'd likely end up with, but one that I could being successful.

Wicked - Started off well enough when you were drafting live, but I think autopick let you down a little.
Red - This would be a fun team if we were in a keeper, but I worry the uside of the young guys won't match the actual production - while your veterans like Howard may be too far gone to get value from the high picks you spent on them.
Clevername - after Giancarlo, there aren't many players that I like on that team. It may just be personal preference, but I see quite a few from my own do-not-draft list.

At the time, Sandoval's drop seemed like good value (although his injury makes that seem less so now). Brandon Phillips fell late too. I also commend those who were able to find quality OPS late - Berkman, Quentin, Hart, etc.

Ryan Howard. Not that I think he'll be useless in this league format, I just think that if you really wanted him, you could have waited.

It'll be the gambles I made on players who aren't starting the year healthy. Hanley I'm much less worried about than Teixeira. Wrist injuries, especially to the tendon sheath, can linger and lead to surgery. I'm just hoping he can come back strong through rest and rehab and not lead to a completely wasted pick. If those two can make it back, I have good feelings about this team. B-)
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:46 am

Freeman - nabbed Gio G. at turn and wanted Freddie on way back but Grounded Polo wisely nabbed him.

Pick the guys off my draft board instead of trying to land them and supposed value guys off typical rankings. Always enjoy reading comments that I reached on someone or pass on another (say taking Mouse over the Panda), yet it almost always works in my favor. Just ask those who have competed with me in various basketball/baseball leagues. ;-)

Since most of them isn't an answer, we'll go with Jesus Montero @227.

Salvador Perez @86. Admittedly, have been dying to draft him somewhere so I reached.

Fade, Rockets and Grounded Polo.

Goldrush, lazy bums and, gasp, kaveman (just not a fan of a number of your earlier picks as I expect many of them to have down years)

Kenley Jansen - going to likely close for most of the season with great peripherals (really wanted him)

Edwin Encarnacion - regression regression regression

Eh, one could say most of their first 10 picks, but I'll go with Josh Reddick. Have a ton of up and comers in the OF so it'd be nice if some of them continue their growth.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby NikkiSixx » Mon May 13, 2013 4:34 pm

Wish I would have done this before the season started but there seems to be a lot of hating on Gold Rush's team and he seems to be holding his own pretty well despite all the doubt. 8-o

Kudos to you GR for going against the grain and still putting together a contending team through 6 weeks.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 432)

Postby NikkiSixx » Mon May 13, 2013 4:34 pm

Wish I would have done this before the season started but there seems to be a lot of hating on Gold Rush's team and he seems to be holding his own pretty well despite all the doubt. 8-o

Kudos to you GR for going against the grain and still putting together a contending team through 6 weeks. ;-D
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 432)

Return to Cold Stove League