Bernadina or Heisey - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bernadina or Heisey

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bernadina or Heisey

Postby trebor67 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:34 pm

Considering options for playing time and potential, does Bernadina or Heisey offer the best opportunity. Each is blocked by set outfields, and will play regularly in all three OF positions. Keith Law just talked about Heisey being a breakout player in 2013, but Baker seems to like him in a reserve role.

Any thoughts on who is a better OF option - even as a fantasy reserve who can play several postions?
trebor67
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bernadina or Heisey

Postby Sticky Spice » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:31 pm

I like Heisey better.

They both appear to be in line for lots of playing time, but Heisey provides a bit of everything except AVG/OBP. He could also be a breakout guy.

Only way I go with Bernadina would be if I were desperate for steals, even though he doesn't get that many more than Heisey.

I also like Gerardo Parra and Scott Hairston as 4th OFers in the NL this year.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 42)

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:42 pm

You can do better than either of these guys even in an NL only 15 team league. Heisey has no value at all as he is a 4th OF and they will likely try to mix Hamilton in later in the year which just takes away any chance he plays even after an injury. I'll be surprised if Heisey gets 200 AB this year unless Ludwick completely tanks early.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby trebor67 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:50 pm

This is a 20-team, 10-player keeper league with managers in the US and Europe. Anticipating potential playing time and status requires a bit of forecasting, becuase the margin to 'wait and see' on players is razor-thin; they get grabbed at all times of day and night depending on when the managers are awake vs. asleep, location, etc. - literally. We draft 500 deep and have a 4 player prospect draft.

I took Bernadina in our draft in the 25th round and now am hearing good things about Heisey. Bernadina hurt his wrist in the WBC and Choo seems a bit injury prone.

Hamilton will likely be brought up if Choo has issues, agreed. Further, he seems blocked by Ludwick. Just trying to establish the best 4th outfielder option amongst some slim pickings and the Keith Law comment on Heisey piqued my interest.

I appreciate the resonse/commentary
trebor67
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:54 pm

In that case I like Bernadina much more because all it takes is a Span injury and he probably has the job. I'd take a serious look at the Phillies, Mets and Marlins because they all have 4-5 OF that will likely play more than a normal team so they are a great spot for playtime breakouts. Heisey was a good pick last year but things have changed, Ludwick has solidified the job much more and Choo isn't awful like Stubbs was and Hamilton was still a SS and in the lower minors so they didn't have an OF they were looking to bring up at some point.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby trebor67 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:03 pm

Appreciate the comment, especially regarding Heisey's situation. That said, I agree on the Phillies. I love the long term potential of the Phillies outfield.

I drafted Brown, Ruf and Mayberry. Each of those guys offers me some real roster flexibility when that situation finally settles out. Maybe a nice chance to do some trading if they all do well.

I could see Mayberry as the heir to Howard at 1B, especially if he gets hurt again. You never know.
trebor67
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stevethumb » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Ender wrote:You can do better than either of these guys even in an NL only 15 team league. Heisey has no value at all as he is a 4th OF and they will likely try to mix Hamilton in later in the year which just takes away any chance he plays even after an injury. I'll be surprised if Heisey gets 200 AB this year unless Ludwick completely tanks early.

how can you do better than heisey in a 15 team NL only ? are they only carrying 3 OFers ? heisey in 2011 in only 279 ABs hit 18 HRs w/50 RBIs and 6 SBs..
even w/limited PT last year in deep leagues he earned positive value..
expect 300 ABs w/13-45-6..he will get more ABs than bernadina and be more productive w/them
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:34 pm

I expect 200 AB or less this year for Heisey. The situation has completely changed.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:58 pm

I don't see Bernadina playing that much this year. Moore is establishing himself as the 4th OF after Span, Werth, and Harper.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 33)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 pm

That might be a good call actually. I don't think Moore really profiles as a CF but in a pinch Werth can play there and it wouldn't be out of the question for Harper to do it so maybe he does pass Bernadina. I was mostly looking at the Heisey side of things.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers