KEEPER HELP! ELLSBURY OR BUTLER?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

KEEPER HELP! ELLSBURY OR BUTLER??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

KEEPER HELP! ELLSBURY OR BUTLER??

Postby noahgeld » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:34 am

I know Ellsbury was hurt last year, and Butler is a rather consistent 1b.

H2H 12 team mixed league. I draft 2 overall this year. 3 keepers total. My other 2 are Cargo and Bourn. No cap on how long you can keep a player. normal ESPN scoring except OBP instead of avg.

thoughts?
noahgeld
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: KEEPER HELP! ELLSBURY OR BUTLER??

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:04 am

Any chance you can skip Bourn and keep Ellsbury and Butler instead? You only need one speedster and Ellsbury is your guy.

If you must keep Bourn I would go with Butler. The consistent pop will help and you've already got an injury-prone guy (CarGo) on your roster. No reason to have two to worry about.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby noahgeld » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:19 am

I am not tied down to Bourn, but I just thought with the pop the Indians picked up this off-season Bourn would score more runs than Ellsbury this year. And with Ellsbury coming off of a major injury, and a depleted Boston line-up I think Bourn is the better speed option.
noahgeld
T-Ball Trainer

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:29 am

Well okay, but Ellsbury is the better player all around. He will get you 3 categories (if his pop gets to 12-15 HR ... he did get 32 one year) whereas Bourn will likely just be around 2 categories (I don't believe the HR). Ellsbury also tends to have a better OBP than Bourn. Plus, the Indians aren't that much of a powerhouse to push Bourn that much higher than Ellsbury in regards to runs, and Victorino/Pedroia/Napoli aren't slouches. Along with the possibility of Ellsbury getting traded to a contender later on (most likely) as well as the fact that he's in a contract year (extremely driven to succeed) makes him a better keep than Bourn.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby sinicalypse » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:53 am

yeah, even tho i'm not an ellsbury guy in terms of keepers i'd definitely take his long-term prospects over bourn's. and i'd take butler before all of them. billy has always hit for average and taken his walks and drove in a pretty good amount of runs, but last year he got to 29/107 which i hope is a paradigm upgrade for him entering the 30/100 calibur of hitter, which is the golden standard in fantasy baseball. like i said billy alwyas hits .280-300 and takes his walks, so if he's gonna keep on hitting 30/100 ish type power #s with his pre-established .280-300 thing then you definitely take that. billy's just outside of the big tier of "mashers" at first and if he busted out for a .315/37/115 type season you'd definitely wanna be there to have it. plus i think he's only ~25-27 so i think you could pencil him in for a good ~5 year run of prime career production, and i'd take that over the three principal guys mentioned in this thread.

so to rank it, in terms of keeping someone who you want to produce now with an eye towards the future, i'd rank them butler > ellsbury > bourn. short of thinking THIS IS THE YEAR and wanting to ensure that you've got ~40SB THIS YEAR then and only then would i go bourn... otherwise, even tho i've never been an ellsbury guy, he'd be my 2nd choice out of three cuz if he stays on the field nad gets back to what he's good at he could be a 15/50 type guy hearkening #s that remind you of carl crawford's walk year in 2010.

take a look @ my thread would ye?! phttp://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/for ... p?t=456750
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Kimbos Beard » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:55 am

I'm not high on Ellsbury, but I think you have to keep him over Bourn. Ellsbury has injury concerns for sure, but his ceiling is so much higher than Bourn's that to me you have to go with Ellsbury.

Cargo, Ellsbury and Butler for me ;-D
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions